Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Good list
Yes!! This was interesting to me:

Quote:
What's your rush? Studies of the last few years suggest that prices will stay low or go lower in early December.
Hmmm!! I just looked online and didn't see anything I wanted that was offered at a discount. But maybe in early December....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just watching the mob scenes on the internet.

No hassle, just pure entertainment.

Example:

BLACK FRIDAY BEATDOWN: Girls Brawl In UK Mall Over Cheap Panties (Video) | The Gateway Pundit

Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This could also describe how I feel about people who boast of flipping houses during a bubble.

Amethyst

"We tend to ignore net cost when we shop because we're focused on the bargain story. Shoppers love stories—"This skirt was 80% off, I am a discount ninja!"—because when it comes to prices, nobody knows anything, and stories are all we have. Narratives fill the space where knowledge should be."

Amethyst
Old 11-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love the smell of cooked books during the holiday season. More predator than prey, I execute on the premeditated list from the comfort of my catbird seat. Nothing rings in festivus quite like new auto parts at a discount.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Talk about getting your knickers in a twist...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #26

We're planning on buying both DM and DM-in-law iPads (they both have iPad 2's and are getting iPad Air 2's - both use iPads as their primary computer these days). Since Apple is offering a $50 gift card with them today, it makes sense to order them today rather than closer to Christmas.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, after reading these stories, maybe we will go to the mall after all. Cheaper than a movie and more drama, comedy, and tragedy!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It'd to cold out. I'm staying home.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #29

The only thing I recall ever wanting badly enough to brave the day after Thanksgiving crazies was back in the mid-aughts when TurboTax was released that day in the stores. I went to BestBuy and wasted a couple of hours. No one there knew where it (or anything else) was, the lines were literally out the door.

Worst part was, of course, that the program was for sale but wasn't yet finalized so you could enter data but couldn't see even preliminary views of tax estimates. I could have waited three weeks for the same result. Never again...
Old 11-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We had been planning new Ipads for DH and my mom, so I went out yesterday during the craziness and picked those up at best buy ($100 off each).

Getting myself an iPhone 6, was eligible for a upgrade 2 weeks ago, but hadn't gotten to the store. Doing it today on apple's site will give me a $50 gift card.

So, I'm managing to save some money by procrastinating over the last few weeks.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #31

I have proclaimed today "no car Friday". I am doing a little online shopping (found a great deal for some curtains for DD's new apartment) but mostly catching up on non-shopping computer activities today (charitable giving, report for a committee meeting on Monday, possibly upgrading to Yosemite if I get other stuff done).

Tomorrow I'll make up for it - we'll have lunch with DS before he heads back north and then I'm going to a craft show and, like Amethyst, try out Small Business Saturday with the Amex promotion.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #32

Took DW to get her allergy shot. Not crowded but no good discount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #33

I ordered a couple of clothing items for myself from LL Bean online using a 15 percent discount and my LL Bean credit card for free shipping. I also had a 10 dollar store credit to use.

I will likely send assorted family members food and wine items ordered online for Christmas but will wait to do that until after Dec. 10. My son is coming home for Christmas, and I plan to give him a check to fund his IRA. I also told him if he wants some electronic item to order it for himself and I will pay for it.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I bought a couple of items at Costco a week or so ago that I knew would be on sale today. When I went to the service counter today to get a price adjustment, I was refused! I said, "OK", then walked over and bought the same items at Black Friday prices, then returned them on the way out the door - with the old receipt.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I bought a couple of items at Costco a week or so ago that I knew would be on sale today. When I went to the service counter today to get a price adjustment, I was refused! I said, "OK", then walked over and bought the same items at Black Friday prices, then returned them on the way out the door - with the old receipt.
Good idea. That's why stores do price adjustments. Costco just made more work for themselves, and you.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I've never indulged in BF. But we'll probably go out for dinner tonight, and may stop by Costco and/or Best Buy. But if the frenzy hasn't subsided, we'll just skip shopping. There's always cyber Monday anyway.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

here's a scene as Black Friday began at Petsmart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vLiZZyn.jpg (44.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Worst part was, of course, that the program was for sale but wasn't yet finalized so you could enter data but couldn't see even preliminary views of tax estimates. I could have waited three weeks for the same result. Never again...

Sounds like the grand bargain of write only memory.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #39

I'm not a shopper the other 364 days of the year so avoiding Black Friday craziness takes no effort at all.

Our 30 year old son came over yesterday to drive with us to my sister's for T-Day dinner and announced that he had picked up a pre Black Friday Amazon impulse purchase. He ordered a Nikon DSLR camera. I think it's the Nikon D3300 and the deal was on a bundle with a memory card and a case for $500. I didn't know he was shopping for a camera and I think he didn't know either! He had been using his iPhone or iPad for pictures and just thought this looked like a better option.

Our first digital camera was a Nikon in 2000 and I still love using it but it's been eating batteries and it's just 2MB. He used our old one occasionally and it was easy so he should enjoy his new one.

He works hard, saves and invests like a champ and has plenty of disposable income so this is a nice gift to himself.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

My black Friday bargain will be 1.5x normal pay rate. I still like my job, so not a bad deal. It's good for my local economy and keeps me off the street.