Black Friday shopping plans

We're planning on buying both DM and DM-in-law iPads (they both have iPad 2's and are getting iPad Air 2's - both use iPads as their primary computer these days). Since Apple is offering a $50 gift card with them today, it makes sense to order them today rather than closer to Christmas.

Hmmm, after reading these stories, maybe we will go to the mall after all. Cheaper than a movie and more drama, comedy, and tragedy!

The only thing I recall ever wanting badly enough to brave the day after Thanksgiving crazies was back in the mid-aughts when TurboTax was released that day in the stores. I went to BestBuy and wasted a couple of hours. No one there knew where it (or anything else) was, the lines were literally out the door.

Worst part was, of course, that the program was for sale but wasn't yet finalized so you could enter data but couldn't see even preliminary views of tax estimates. I could have waited three weeks for the same result. Never again...

We had been planning new Ipads for DH and my mom, so I went out yesterday during the craziness and picked those up at best buy ($100 off each).

Getting myself an iPhone 6, was eligible for a upgrade 2 weeks ago, but hadn't gotten to the store. Doing it today on apple's site will give me a $50 gift card.

So, I'm managing to save some money by procrastinating over the last few weeks.

I have proclaimed today "no car Friday". I am doing a little online shopping (found a great deal for some curtains for DD's new apartment) but mostly catching up on non-shopping computer activities today (charitable giving, report for a committee meeting on Monday, possibly upgrading to Yosemite if I get other stuff done).

Tomorrow I'll make up for it - we'll have lunch with DS before he heads back north and then I'm going to a craft show and, like Amethyst, try out Small Business Saturday with the Amex promotion.

Took DW to get her allergy shot. Not crowded but no good discount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I ordered a couple of clothing items for myself from LL Bean online using a 15 percent discount and my LL Bean credit card for free shipping. I also had a 10 dollar store credit to use.

I will likely send assorted family members food and wine items ordered online for Christmas but will wait to do that until after Dec. 10. My son is coming home for Christmas, and I plan to give him a check to fund his IRA. I also told him if he wants some electronic item to order it for himself and I will pay for it.

I bought a couple of items at Costco a week or so ago that I knew would be on sale today. When I went to the service counter today to get a price adjustment, I was refused! I said, "OK", then walked over and bought the same items at Black Friday prices, then returned them on the way out the door - with the old receipt. :angel:

I bought a couple of items at Costco a week or so ago that I knew would be on sale today. When I went to the service counter today to get a price adjustment, I was refused! I said, "OK", then walked over and bought the same items at Black Friday prices, then returned them on the way out the door - with the old receipt. :angel:
Good idea. That's why stores do price adjustments. Costco just made more work for themselves, and you.

I've never indulged in BF. But we'll probably go out for dinner tonight, and may stop by Costco and/or Best Buy. But if the frenzy hasn't subsided, we'll just skip shopping. There's always cyber Monday anyway.

here's a scene as Black Friday began at Petsmart :angel:

Attachments

• vLiZZyn.jpg
    vLiZZyn.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
Worst part was, of course, that the program was for sale but wasn't yet finalized so you could enter data but couldn't see even preliminary views of tax estimates. I could have waited three weeks for the same result. Never again...

Sounds like the grand bargain of write only memory.

I'm not a shopper the other 364 days of the year so avoiding Black Friday craziness takes no effort at all.

Our 30 year old son came over yesterday to drive with us to my sister's for T-Day dinner and announced that he had picked up a pre Black Friday Amazon impulse purchase. He ordered a Nikon DSLR camera. I think it's the Nikon D3300 and the deal was on a bundle with a memory card and a case for $500. I didn't know he was shopping for a camera and I think he didn't know either! He had been using his iPhone or iPad for pictures and just thought this looked like a better option.

Our first digital camera was a Nikon in 2000 and I still love using it but it's been eating batteries and it's just 2MB. He used our old one occasionally and it was easy so he should enjoy his new one.

He works hard, saves and invests like a champ and has plenty of disposable income so this is a nice gift to himself.

Last edited:
My black Friday bargain will be 1.5x normal pay rate. I still like my job, so not a bad deal. It's good for my local economy and keeps me off the street.

Shopping? You mean in public with all those other crazed people? uh... no.

Raking leaves today :)

Stopped down to the PX, bought an iPad for DIL and a Surface II to. Replace my older one. Both for less than $500. Went at 7am, so no drama, really, in and out. Hit Starbucks also, regular coffee and still under $500!!

DH and I aren't in the acquisition phase. We did our regular grocery shopping and made a stop at Trader Joe's to pick up more Pecan Pie ice cream. DH is on meds that depress his appetite so I try to keep calorie-dense foods around that he likes. This was a big hit; his 3rd carton in a couple of weeks. The store had only average traffic.

Tomorrow I'll do the AE Small Business deals; I've been waiting for this to try a scotch whisky that's made in Bangalore and is highly-rated. I'll get a $10 credit for that, one at a local grocery store buying things we would have gotten anyway, and another $10 at a place that sells fancy olive oils. I'm sure I can find a use for a garlic-infused version!

We're wrapping up a DIY project at home. Plan to stop by Lowes and purchase 200 sq. feet of tile and grout for the new mud room.

Not a shopper by nature, and make a point every year of staying out of all brick-and-mortar stores from Wednesday night before Thanksgiving until the following Monday so as to avoid the mayhem.

This morning spent 30 minutes online purchasing small Christmas presents for two youngsters. No deals other than Amazon's usual discounts. That was the entirety of the holiday shopping - done.

Tomorrow I will attend a Christmas concert for children at the local arts center with the coolest 7-year-old kid I know. Two tickets: $16. Experience: Priceless. :)

Last edited:
In what part of Scotland is Bangalore located?

Scotch whisky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forgive me, RonBoyd, for I have sinned... I suppose that's like referring to the lovely sparkling wine we get from Missouri as "Champagne"! I've been to Bangalore and I've been to Scotland and yeah, they're a few miles apart.:D

BTW, if you're into the stuff, there's a wonderful store called Cadenhead's in Edinburgh (affiliated with The Tasting Room in London, which sells the same merchandise). They sell whisky from many of the great distilleries such as Laphroagh and Highland Park. dumped straight from the cask to a bottle. No blending (even within the same malting), no filtering, no dilution. Wonderful.

OK, here's what I'm getting. I will heretofore refer to it as "whisky".

Amrut Single Malt Cask Strength Whisky - Master of Malt

The only thing I went out for today was the gym. Not at all crowded.

What little shopping we do this year will be for the grandnieces, ages 5 and 9. Their parents have said they don't want more stuff, but experiences. We chipped in with SIL to buy them a Polar Express train ride in December and we might do the Harper's Ferry zip line again or something similar to that.

Oh, and I need a new pair of slippers. My current ones had a blowout and my toes stick out and get cold. I'm sure I'll find them online on sale somewhere in the next month.

Back
Top Bottom