Camera & phone

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Recommend a low end high tech camera and/or phone.

~$500 each or both.

Or maybe you could send me your low end camera.

I have to start spending my money on something.

Recommend a low end high tech camera and/or phone.

~$500 each or both.

Or maybe you could send me your low end camera.

I have to start spending my money on something.

The iPhone has the added advantage of sucking away an additional $30/month for the online access. :D

The iPhone has the added advantage of sucking away an additional $30/month for the online access. :D

Heh, though I find the iPhone useful. GPS, access to google maps and whitepages, email, etc. Camera is not too bad...

For a portable camera, I have a Nikon Coolpix somethingertheother. Don't much like it: the lens is near the upper left corner, perfect for getting your finger in every shot, much like the gnome in the Travelocity commercials. And no viewfinder, a mistake I will never make again. Have to use the display, which drains the battery, and in bright light, forget about seeing anything...

I just got a Samsung Captivate, a worthy Android alternative to an iPhone. I debated long and hard about whether the monthly bump over the prepaid plan I was on is worth it, and decided I'd enjoy it enough and find good uses for it. It's got a better camera than my old Nikon.

I second the recommendation of the Canon G-11 which is $428 on Amazon today. It is a great compromise between the limitations of the basic point and shoot and the complexity of the high end DSLRs.

If you think you might enjoy photography as a hobby, the G-10 or G-11 are easy to use in manual mode. Even renowned photographers like Michael Yamashita of National Geographic fame, carries one as his backup.

usually i start out recommending a leica m8, but the budget is too restrictive. camera's on phones are crap. even the coveted iphone is horrible and slow. nothing annoys me more than someone holding up a lame phone to take a picture, only to take forever and usually produce a blurry image (b/c they are in a hurry and they move the phone while the picture is being taken).

if you don't want to spring for a leica (and if you're going that route, you might as well add a 50/1.4 summilux), i'll add another vote for canon g-11. if you want something simpler, a canon sdxxxIS is the way to go (can be had for $200-$300 new). canon cleans house when it come to p&s. wish i could say the same for their EOS line.

Heh, though I find the iPhone useful. GPS, access to google maps and whitepages, email, etc. Camera is not too bad...

For a portable camera, I have a Nikon Coolpix somethingertheother. Don't much like it: the lens is near the upper left corner, perfect for getting your finger in every shot, much like the gnome in the Travelocity commercials. And no viewfinder, a mistake I will never make again. Have to use the display, which drains the battery, and in bright light, forget about seeing anything...

Current camera is Nikon Coolpix 775; bought used in '03.
Current cell is Sony Ericsson (cingular on ATT) don't know how old (at least 5 years).

Khan, ask your houseguest from a few weeks ago--his photo of you was awesome so he probably knows something about cameras!

I have an older Nikon d40. It is a fine, lightweight, not overly complicated SLR camera. It is no longer made but reconditioned ones are available and well within your price range. It comes with a decent lens.

I like Ken Rockwells website, with his reviews of cameras, lenses, and info on how to take good pictures: KenRockwell.com

5d mk ii is a decent camera. we use the 5d classic in our business (cheap and image quality as good as anything else out there at low ISO's). This is my personal camera.

if you're going the canon route, you can try and scrape up an old broken canon and call them up and see what they are offering for their loyalty program. I know "his" camera was going for like $1600 something through the loyalty program, opposed to $2500. of course, you're getting a refurb'd camera vs a new one, but it is still a smokin' deal.

Back
Top Bottom