Cargo shorts - Yes or No?

Wore cargo shorts at Pebble Beach a month ago - even went into the clubhouse without getting kicked out

How did that happen? I guess the $500 green fee keeps the riff raff out

How did that happen? I guess the $500 green fee keeps the riff raff out

Pebble Beach is in a gated community - and on the "17 mile drive" just south of Monterey. We paid the $10 tour fee at the gate, and drove the 17 mile drive, stopping at the golf course. I took some photos of the 18th green, toured the clubhouse (including the restroom with real towels) and then left. Nobody said a word to me, but I was significantly underdressed.

But we could wear those plaid polyester golf slacks favored by "We tote the note" used car salesmen?

Knew a guy, about 45 years back, worked as a used car salesman for a while, and bought, (for next to nothing.....understandably), an entire 'wardrobe' of similar, (and eye hurting) attire; mismatched jackets shirts and pants, (not that anything could match any of it).................his rationale was that his 'clientele' in the used car biz wanted to feel they were smarter than, and superior to, the hick salesman.

I wear shorts - gym trunks, cargo shorts, denim shorts, and the occasional Dockers shorts - eight or nine months a year. Mostly jeans the rest of the year. Don't care what anyone thinks about it. Sent the wives/GFs to Goodwill, kept the cargo shorts.

I tend to agree with the no-denim cargo shorts.... I can't imagine those looking ok. Perhaps because I've never seen them.

DH wears cargo shorts year round... Some are tan colored, some are olive drab colored.
I tend to wear cargo capri's.... so I can't complain since I also sport pockets on my thighs.

What is the issue with cargo shorts? I think they're fine.

I wear what works for me, away from work, and rarely give a rat's ass about what others think. Could be cargo shorts, could be jean shorts, jeans with rips and tears and grease stains, grease stained T-shirt or Dickies type work shirt. It fits my task and being I am not trying to impress anyone, I don't really care what others think. Being a car guy, most of my hobby work involves getting dirty and greasy, so most of my home work clothes reflect this.

I also live in more casual southwest, with more heat. So we are far from the big city fashion. Needless to say I will *never* be confused with a metrosexual. I do have some nicer shorts that I will wear if going out, incl cargo shorts which are very convenient as mentioned for storing stuff in the pockets.

For work environment I do have better clothes I wear. I started my career as engr wearing ties, now very seldom only for a big mtg with high level out of town visitors.

When I retired, I went to Walmart and got 2 pairs of jeans shorts. Then I went to Dollar General and bought 2 ball hats @ $3.50, an Alabama T shirt and an Auburn T shirt.

Except on Sunday, that's essentially my retiree wardrobe.

Back when I wore cargo shorts, I stuck to Sportif Stretch Shorts. I could stick a beer in each pocket (with the stretch material) for when we went hiking in the mountains.

For some reason I haven't worn shorts of any kind since about 1964. Not that I have anything against them, but the circumstances where I'm comfortable in them are rare so I just don't think about buying any. Mostly I'm in jeans and a pullover shirt (with collar and a pocket) if going outside.

Finally something important to discuss. Women love men who wear pack mule pants & shorts. Women are notorious for wearing pocket less attire. I end up with their stuff in my pockets. Phones wallets keys & other micellaneous items. I charge by the pound.

I don't think DH owns any but he does have travel pants with invisible-ish pockets in the seams. He has a nice behind so I like his pants to show it off :). Cargo pants don't usually do that, at least the men I notice wearing them.

Not sure about the younger men in my family but I tend to doubt it--they wear full-length jeans or long workout shorts.

I would definitely wear cargo pants if I were a guy but since I can carry a purse, usually no need to put anything in my pockets except my hands. Being the invisible age I am, I could wear big old baggy overalls and no one would notice or care.

EVERY day ! Including winter. ( all 4 days of it). Along with t-shirts and ,for dress up, nice fishing shirts.
Need room for my carry Ruger LCP .380 and a spare mag.

Sent the wives/GFs to Goodwill, kept the cargo shorts.

What sort of tax deduction do you get for donating your wife to Goodwill? Is it more or less than for a GF?:D

can't wear them on the golf course...js

I know some private golf courses don't allow them but there are very few public/resort courses in the US where you can't wear cargo shorts. I wear cargo shorts all the time.

Cargo shorts / pants remind me of what we used to wear in the army, jungle fatigues and later BDU. Pockets on your thighs are great for carrying life-centric essentials, but most people (adults) who I see wearing them today look rather dorkish.

The guys with the 55in waistlines, wearing shorts with an elastic waistband big enough to stretch around a trashcan, looks like their wearing a drogue chute around each leg. I won't say "People of Walmart" but thats my impression.

Of course, here in the desert we wear shorts year-round, but cargo shorts are too highschoolish / ghetto for me.

Now those plaid pants a few posts ago, hmmm....;)

_B

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 189
I like cargo style shorts, provided they aren't too long or too baggy. My best asset are my legs, so why not show them off:D

I wear cargo shorts any time the temp is over 60 degrees. I don't care about fashion, I wear them for utility and comfort. However, I think they look better than denim shorts so that's an added bonus.

Cargo shorts are quite in-fashion for men's summer/warm casual wear. I'm even wearing a pair right now! That said, they are not something I'd wear if I wanted to dress up or for w*rk - though I do see a lot of younger software engineers wearing them at work in the summer.

EVERY day ! Including winter. ( all 4 days of it). Along with t-shirts and ,for dress up, nice fishing shirts.
Need room for my carry Ruger LCP .380 and a spare mag.

I'm wearing my cargo shorts right now, because I need pockets for all my stuff like wallet, keys, and cell phone, sometimes pen and notes.

You see lots of folks with cracked cell phone glass, because they stick in the rear pocket of jeans and then sit on it. Cargo pants/shorts solve that problem.

On top of that when we go out for walks I like to carry either pepper spray or a knife just in case somebody's dog come running at us.
I've been bit a few times in life and want to be able to bite back.

I wear cargo shorts everyday except when I wear pants to go to church. But hardly ever have anything in the pockets except my wallet and keys.
BTW I don't wear shorts unless they are a few inches above my knees. I don't get it why anyone would wear shorts that are at or below someones knees. Just wear long pants if they're that long!

Back
Top Bottom