Chevy Equinox vs Honda CR-V

DrRoy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW and I currently have a 2011 Equinox and a 2015 Malibu. We are finding that we really do not need 2 cars in RE, and in the rare cases where we do we could rent or Uber.

Dropping to 1 car would give us more $ for travel. As an inducement to go ahead with it, I said that we could sell both current cars and buy a new one for the single vehicle. The new one would be another crossover as we occasionally need the room, we like the higher view on the road, and it would be more comfortable on longer drives.

We have researched a number of competing models and reduced the candidates to a 2018 Chevy Equinox or a 2018 Honda CR-V. We are pretty familiar with the Chevy, but not the Honda. What can you CR-V drivers tell us about it? What do you like and not like? Particularly offer any first hand comparisons between the two models, if you have them. Thanks.

First, I do not like Chevy....

But, I had a friend who was looking and I think he said the Honda are now CVT transmissions... I am still not a convert to them and I have read that they cost much more to fix than a regular one...

I would say that the Honda is also much more reliable...

I've owned two Honda CrV's. I passed the 2004 along to my daughter at 240K miles and still running great when we bought the 2015 version in 2015. She has been driving it for about 2 years now and still no issues.

The 2015 does have the Constant velocity transmission but at 57K miles we have had no issues with the vehicle yet. (knock on wood). The only thing I dislike about the 2015 is that when you lower the seats in the back, the area isnt flat like the 2004 version was.

Both are fine vehicles and I test drove both when we bought our Outback. The CR-V was our runner-up and I would rank it ahead of the Chevy just based on Honda's reputation for reliability and good engineering.

Mom has an older CR-V and I think it is a fine car. I have a GMC truck and formerly had a Chevy truck.... Chevy is good but IMO Honda is better.

The Outback has a CVT and I think it is fine.... great mileage... we get ~30 mpg in mixed driving.

Last edited:
I can't compare, but I traded my 2010 CR-V at 240,000 miles (bought it used @ 80K miles). It had no defects, rattles or squeaks. I also loved the AWD for both snow and some modest off-roading.

It was one of, if not the most, trouble free vehicles I've owned. I don't know if they still have the cooler and table built-in, but I used those a lot as well.

We have researched a number of competing models and reduced the candidates to a 2018 Chevy Equinox or a 2018 Honda CR-V. We are pretty familiar with the Chevy, but not the Honda. What can you CR-V drivers tell us about it? What do you like and not like? Particularly offer any first hand comparisons between the two models, if you have them. Thanks.
We own a CR-V of the previous body style (a 2012) and like it a lot. It has been extremely reliable. I don't think the Chevy can match the Honda for reliability. Most (all?) CR-Vs are made in the US (Ohio).
You may be able to rent one or both of these cars, and that might be money well spent to determine which you prefer. A test drive is okay, but
getting in it and driving for a few hours can sometimes tell you a lot.

I'm currently on my third CR-V (a 2013 model) and I've been very happy with them. Not a single repair required on any of them, just routine maintenance. Very comfortable even on long drives.

The only caveat I have is that since you're in Michigan you probably want to get winter tires in addition to the all-season tires. I've found that CR-Vs are not all that great in the snow. They're OK, but I've had other cars that were much better in snow.

Honda CRV hands down. Mine is a 2006 and has never let me down.

I would doubt you will have much extra for travel after doing that transaction. Maybe a few hundred at most. It may even be more expensive in the long run.

I vote CRV.

I've owned and liked both Hondas and Chevys. I'd give the longevity/reliability nod to the Honda, although not by all that much these days.

One thing I would definitely suggest you do is pay close attention to the level of road noise in the Honda on less than smooth pavement. I've found that to be one of the only weak areas Honda designs.

Edit: Consumer Reports says the 2017 CRV is much improved in the road noise department, so maybe no longer a problem. Still, I'd want to do a thorough test drive to check it out.

Last edited:
Agreed on road noise. An older CR-V we had was so noisy I thought the wheel bearing were shot. Even after a new set of tires, it was still noisy. Fuel mileage was not anything to brag about either. As said above, the newer models are supposedly improved in both areas.

We have been happy with our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and bought that over the Chevy Equinox at the time. We would have gone for the Equinox back then but the heated seat option which DW insisted on was only available in the highest option package and I didn't want to shell out thousands more to have heated seats. Incidentally, the Santa Fe gave us the heated seats, including rear heated seats, in the lower end tech package which made the car about $4K less than the Equinox.

Repairs on the Santa Fe have been $0 in 62,000 miles. Only oil, filters and one new set of tires is all we are into the car for.

In my opinion, all SUV's in this class are pretty good. It just depends on the options you want.

I would doubt you will have much extra for travel after doing that transaction. Maybe a few hundred at most. It may even be more expensive in the long run.

I vote CRV.

I didn't mean that selling the two used ones would pay for the new one, just that over time one car would cost less than two.

Having to make a decision on a modern mid size SUV is indeed a difficult one. The CR-V has been redesigned, but they're big on a 1.5 turbo motor with the CVT. It's now Honda's biggest selling vehicle. They're pretty expensive (vs. the competition), however Honda's do hold their value on the used vehicle market. Honda's quality has recently slipped as vehicles across the board are now very complicated electronically.

The Equinox is presently another completely different vehicle (than the past.) GM and Chevy especially has really stepped up their game in styling, and I really like the looks of the Equinox. They too are pushing that 4 cylinder motor and they seem to be competitive in performance to most others on the SUV market.

I also like the Ford Escape in every way. They have a Ecoboost engine that will run circles around the competition. And they're priced right. There's actually no bad mid size SUV of any brand--including Kia and Hyundai. They're all great vehicles.

What your problem is going to be is getting a decent price for your 2015 Malibu trade in--not a hot seller used. Expect to get a much better price on the Equinox (on front end) and the Chevy dealer is better equipped to liquidate your Malibu trade in. That Chevy dealer also has big (and profitable) sales of pickup trucks to cover the cost of his facility, i.e. "nut."

Honda dealers are so often uncompetitive in pricing their new vehicles. They love to add mud flaps, undercoating, floor mats and spoilers on the sunroofs--$1200 profit more. And they will be after you to pay MSRP for a CR-V. Oh, yea--$699 in documentary fees. They're after profit on front end, in the middle and on the back end. (I know because my sister owned part of 2 Honda stores.)

Keep an open mind and let your pocketbook make your decision. Honda dealers can deal--if they choose. I say the Chevy price will be better since you're trading a Chevy.

Actually, another thing I like about Honda is that I've always had all my routine maintenance done at the dealer. This is the only dealer I've ever found in my 49 years of car ownership that has always had reasonable service prices. They are absolutely in line with all independent shops in the area and they nearly always have me in and out in an hour or two at most. I've been happily patronizing this dealer for 15 years now. My friends tell me I'm exceptionally lucky with them but I've encountered the same thing a couple of times when I took it in for routine maintenance while over 1,000 miles from home. So I have a very favorable opinion of Honda dealer maintenance.

Just sprang for my first ever new car. It came down to Honda CRV or Mazda CX5. Drove the Honda first, bought the Mazda. Did not care for the slipping clutch feel of the CVT on the Honda, interior and exterior on the Mazda was understated and felt a tad more refined. Nothing unexpected in the dealership experience, so their footpad behavior wasn't a shock.

Mazda's have really stepped up there game in the past couple of years. Especially with the SkyActiv-G engines. If I were in the market for a new SUV, I would include them.

Mazda's have really stepped up there game in the past couple of years.

Agreed. When DW was SUV shopping last year she loved how the CX-5 drove. Said it felt really fun on the road, but was just a little too big for her. She wound up with a Honda HR-V but she did love test driving that CX-5.

So why not sell the Malibu and just keep the Equinox. You will save more that way.

If towing is a consideration, the Equinox with V6 gives you a higher tow rating than the 4 cylinder compact SUVs.

I am probably the only one that had a problematic CRV . The air conditioning went at 35,000 miles and the paint started coming off in clumps . Reading the car boards apparently some years had these problems .Mine was a 2010 . Other than that it was a good car . I traded it in on a Rav 4 .

So why not sell the Malibu and just keep the Equinox. You will save more that way.

I would go that route. I have a 2017 Equinox - 6cyl AWD. DW and I like it very much but when the 2018's came out they looked pretty nice and I felt like I wish I would have waited. Then I read that all they had was 4cyl engines. Sorry, deal breaker for a heavy SUV like the Equinox. Those 4cyl engines are going to be working pretty hard so if I got one, I wouldn't have the drive it until it dies mindset. Probably look at about 6-8 years/80,000 miles. Also, if they have that stupid start stop technology, I wouldn't even look at it.

I drove a rental with start/stop and while it wasn't bad, I did not like it. Then I read that in order to accomplish start stop, it requires extra equipment. Not sure if it's true, but I read stop/start cars have an extra battery and equipment to keep the fluids pressurized while the engine is off (redundant pumps?). Not to mention the wear on the starter. No thanks.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question about the Honda, but you said you're pretty familiar with the Chevy and my guess is that maybe not as much as you think given the changes in 2018.

This is a very easy decision:
If you are leasing the Chevy will be fine. It will self destruct about the time of trade/return
If you are purchasing for long term then reliability is very important. That said its the Honda

My Chevy truck had ~120k milles before I traded it in... only because the frame rusted due to all the brine that is used in the winter around here. Other than one major repair that ws covered by the warranty it was only routine maintenance the whole time I owned it... but I admit that replacing the brakes were pricey.

Then I read that all they had was 4cyl engines. Sorry, deal breaker for a heavy SUV like the Equinox. Those 4cyl engines are going to be working pretty hard so if I got one, I wouldn't have the drive it until it dies mindset. Probably look at about 6-8 years/80,000 miles. Also, if they have that stupid start stop technology, I wouldn't even look at it.

I drove a rental with start/stop and while it wasn't bad, I did not like it. Then I read that in order to accomplish start stop, it requires extra equipment. Not sure if it's true, but I read stop/start cars have an extra battery and equipment to keep the fluids pressurized while the engine is off (redundant pumps?). Not to mention the wear on the starter. No thanks.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question about the Honda, but you said you're pretty familiar with the Chevy and my guess is that maybe not as much as you think given the changes in 2018.

Note that the 6 is now going the way of the v8. Actually compare the torque/hp, and if it is a turbo charged engine (actually the equinox has a 1.5 and 2 l gasoline engine and a 1.6 l diesel. All are turbocharged). The 2.0 is supposed to be available this summer and comes with the same 9 speed auto transmission that the 2017 Malibu Premier comes with.

You might also check if the 2.0 l comes with start stop. The Malibu only has start stop on the 1.5l engine.
Start stop has a second battery to keep the hvac running while the engine is stopped. The start stop does not come on until the engine is warmed up also.

Last edited:
I have to ask - if you have a perfectly good Malibu, only a couple years old, why would you buy a new car? I'm guessing there's no way buying a new car will yield a net savings... sell the old equinox, baby the Malibu and run it until it is uneconomical. If you really want a CRV, and are true financially motivated find a 3 year old one. Sell the other 2 cars.

By the by my old CRV is sitting outside with 130,000 miles on it ready to take my freshmen son to college just over 1.5 hours away... CRV s are known to be great reliable cars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom