Classic Cars

I don't have one but I do enjoy going to the car and truck shows and photographing them. A BIL has a fire truck and I've been to some antique truck shows because of that. The amount of work involved in a restoration is impressive.

Attachments

• Chevy (1 of 1).jpg
    Chevy (1 of 1).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Union Oil (1 of 1).jpg
    Union Oil (1 of 1).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Fire Truck (1 of 1).jpg
    Fire Truck (1 of 1).jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 13
Had these, wish I still did:

Attachments

• 69Mustang.jpg
    69Mustang.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 70Judge.jpg
    70Judge.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hoping this will one day be classic:

Attachments

• '12Boss.jpg
    '12Boss.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 5
I'm having a blast commuting in this - not yet classic 'Murica muscle but it will be in a few years. 95 Firehawk #456. Too bad my commute is so short :eek:

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 5
My hobby car is a stock '88 Pontiac Fiero GT. Next week I'm driving to Warwick, RI from DC for the bi-annual All-Pontiac Car Show. I don't drive it as much as I should, but I drove to Detroit and Indy for the Fiero 25th and 30th Anniversary events.

People think this hobby costs a fortune, but you can find many low cost interesting cars and lots of places to gather with other owners. Of course you can easily spend a fortune it you wish.

People think this hobby costs a fortune, but you can find many low cost interesting cars and lots of places to gather with other owners. Of course you can easily spend a fortune it you wish.

I've been trying to convince DW of that for 20 years :mad:

the firechicken was only $8500 but I've spent thousands modifying my subarus...

I'm having a blast commuting in this - not yet classic 'Murica muscle but it will be in a few years. 95 Firehawk #456. Too bad my commute is so short :eek:

Saw a pristine Firebird 400 this morning, all white. Looked like a 68. Sounded nice too.

I saw a convertible just like that earlier this week in Moscow, ID. Gorgeous car. I was driving my restored 76 Monte Carlo and had a major case of car envy.

I drove up to CDA about a month ago and there are a bunch of cool cars in N Idaho. We have a pretty long convertible season in the TV.

I drove up to CDA about a month ago and there are a bunch of cool cars in N Idaho. We have a pretty long convertible season in the TV.

CDA has a decent car scene, and good car show. So does Lewiston with their Hot August nights car show. Moscow? Nothing. I REALLY stand out with the Monte. Took it to Jiffy Lube this week and all the staff had to check it out. (I know, I know... Jiffy Lube! Bad on me. Usually do it myself. Was in a hurry. Do forgive.)

oh....THAT Moscow!

yeah, "mosque oh" is how we say it

apparently 100 years or so Boise got to decide if we would get the school or the prison, we chose the prison so they put UofI in Moscow, nice place

Up until 2009 my daily driver was my 1985 Chevy Caprice Classic. Traded it in. But I still have my 1988 Firebird GTA which I picked up in 2000 for $2,500. I estimate I've only spent about $1,000 on it in all this time.

This one I didn't restore, just wrote a check for. Bought in 2010 as a 20th anniversary gift for my wife (if you can read the vanity plate). 1969 Mercedes 280SL. Really fun car to drive, has been all over New England including a Ferry ride to Martha's Vineyard for a weekend.

Oh I love this. Before the purchase of my new-to-me E class, I test drove a mid 70s SL. Loved it but hubs would rather work on his British oil leaker than a German vacuum leak queen.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Vacuum leaks suck
Sorry couldn't help it

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This gem left our possession this July.
67 Firebird convertible 400 manual transmission. All original unrestored with 57,000 miles. My husband was the 2nd owner and had original bill of sale, original spare tire and other documentation that came with the car. We owned it for 20 years or so. It was a sad day when it left.

Attachments

• bye-bye Firebird 007.jpg
    bye-bye Firebird 007.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 10
  • bye-bye Firebird 018.jpg
    bye-bye Firebird 018.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 10
  • bye-bye Firebird 019.jpg
    bye-bye Firebird 019.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 9
This gem left our possession this July.
67 Firebird convertible 400 manual transmission. All original unrestored with 57,000 miles. My husband was the 2nd owner and had original bill of sale, original spare tire and other documentation that came with the car. We owned it for 20 years or so. It was a sad day when it left.

Did it go to Washington? Saw its twin if it didn't...

The first car I owned was a 1948 Cadillac Fleetwood model 75 in the attached picture. I bought it in 1965 for $300 and soon realized that I do not have the talent or interest that it takes to restore something like that so I sold it in 1970 for $1000. It might actually be considered a classic today.

Attachments

• 48 caddy sharpened.jpg
    48 caddy sharpened.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 8
Keim it stayed local (southern Illinois).

I still can't believe my husband sold it. He had been talking about it for a few years. Didn't even have it listed anywhere.

Anyone working on or own any classic cars, muscle cars, etc. I plan on spending a good deal of my free time working on them once I'm fire.

One other comment. A key word in the OP is "spending". You can certainly "spend" a lot of time working on classic cars but you'll likely be "spending" a lot of money too "depending" on the car(s) and particularly on the levels of restorations/customizations. It's been a hobby for me but I'd estimate just in the last five years, I've spent a lot more in real dollars than I could get back today based on "current" estimated resale values. (difference is probably between 150 and 200k). That's not counting or putting a value on my time/labor.

Back
Top Bottom