Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
We've thought of a CRV as a possible toad for when we get the RV in a year or so. Only reason for considering it for us is the AWD. Does anyone here know if you can use an AWD vehicle as a toad without hurting it? We have an Odyssey now and will keep it a few more years unless we switch to the CRV. If we keep the Odyssey, we may get a Honda Fit or a Toyota Yaris as a toad. Slightly off topic, I know...just wondering if anyone had any insight on this.

NOTE: reason for the AWD is possible trips to Utah to visit DS in the snowy winters.

We flat towed our 2003 CRV EX AWD until it was rear ended and totalled last year. Great toad for us in Colorado. Motorhome magazine's 2011 Guide to Dinghy Towing indicates all CRVs are flat towable

aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
This doesn't help, but I have read that new and late model used are very close in price. I'd think about springing for new especially with the end of model year coming. I thought the tsunami decreased stock effect had eased up a little....maybe not?

I will be looking at CR-V, Toyo Rav-4, and maybe the Highlander as a car to add when my (just turned) 15 y.o. gets closer to the driving age.
Tsunami effect: The new CR-Vs are trickling in, but there's still a lot of pent-up demand. Even cars manufactured in the US are affected due to a lack of a few select parts (I think I heard the sensors which trigger the airbags are among the parts primarily mfgr'ed in Japan and affected by the disaster there.)

Car for your young 'un: One of the new styling trends is small windows in the back of the car and large C-pillars. I thought the visibility to the 5 and 7 o'clock position in the RAV-4 (and the Matrix) was not very good. In addition, the rear tire on the tailgate of the RAV-4 does block the view a little bit. More importantly, that spare tire on the RAV-4 (and on the previous edition CR-V) sticks out beyond the bumper. That means a tiny misjudgement by a new driver (or a person pulling up behind him) can turn what would have been a little bumper bruise into a crumpled hatch ($$). Something to think about.

Young drivers have accidents. For the cost conscious, a mid-size American car that is a few years old (heavy depreciation) but which has the front and side (head) airbags and possibly stability control are a good bet. Ford Taurus, Chevy Malibu/Impala, etc.

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
IMHO, if a vehicle has a high resale and you hold for a long time, it is best to buy new. If the used vehicle is one out of favor and has a low resale, then buy used. We just purchased a new Honda Accord EX for $21,700 (over $3k under MRSP). Dealers were asking higher prices for used. Our old Honda Accord has been trouble free for the last 20 years of ownership. Why risk getting someone elses headaches when the price of a new vehicle, with discounts, is not that much greater than buying used.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote