Deadeye Rick

You have no idea how thrilled I will be when I get out of this never-will-have-right-to-carry State of Illinois....and I still kept my NRA membership going out of protest here. :rolleyes:

Again, I still think this article about Perry was to "butch" him up in the public's view. Bush shooting a coyote, yeah...but Perry...not so much.

You have no idea how thrilled I will be when I get out of this never-will-have-right-to-carry State of Illinois....and I still kept my NRA membership going out of protest here. :rolleyes:

Again, I still think this article about Perry was to "butch" him up in the public's view. Bush shooting a coyote, yeah...but Perry...not so much.

Don't forget the pepper spray - you always want options.

I used to have a neighbor who was a retired SS agent. He used to tell a story about a time that Lyndon Johnson was returning to TX and there was a rattlesnake on the path wherever they were walking. According to the ex-SS guy, one of the protective detail tried to shoot the rattler, fired 4 times, and missed each time. President Johnson took one of his aide's umbrella and beat the snake to death himself. :LOL: No guarantee it's true, but it sounds a lot like Johnson.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Gov. Zoolander (I like that! :D). But as far as carrying a gun, it's legal (open carry) without a permit, and legal (concealed) with a permit. So what's the big deal? If you don't like guns, don't carry one. I personally would probably have tried scaring off the coyote (Rock or whatever) first, but I definitely would have protected the dog.

He probably did, so I would believe Johnson would do that.
I saw my Grandma--hair always in a perfect bun, dresses long with long sleeves and high neck and bonnet wearing, cause she didn't want that Southern sun on her beating down--take a hoe and cut a rattlesnake to death by herself when I was a kid. Lady or not, she took care of business. That's they way they do it when you are raised on a Southern farm or ranch. Yeeee-hawwww!;)

Yeah, but even Zoolander realizes that sometimes sacrifices have to be made - as long as your hair stays perfect. He is a servant of the people and it's for the kids and whatnot.
Derek Zoolander: So join now, 'cause at the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than just being really, really, really good looking. Right kids?
Well Governor, your points will go up with manly men (and you're hurting there), the NRA moms will love it, so will the dog-lovers, and the soccer-moms will dig the hair visual we'll work into it!

Somebody should have told him to carry a manly gun and ditch that stupid laser sight. The aide who picked out his shooting gear must watch too much television.

Edit to add: Dig this photo, his hair stylist must have been off on range day!

RWS_Perry_1.jpg

Don't forget the pepper spray - you always want options.

Good thought. You know, I always thought pepper spray was a girlie-thing until I met two truckers--big, macho, burly guys--who put off two hijackers who tried to bust open their cab to the truck with a huge bottle of pepper spray. Pretty cool.:D

Yeah, but even Zoolander realizes that sometimes sacrifices have to be made - as long as your hair stays perfect. He is a servant of the people and it's for the kids and whatnot.Well Governor, your points will go up with manly men (and you're hurting there), the NRA moms will love it, so will the dog-lovers, and the soccer-moms will dig the hair visual we'll work into it!

Somebody should have told him to carry a manly gun and ditch that stupid laser sight. The aide who picked out his shooting gear must watch too much television.

Well, this particular NRA mom isn't buying that Perry is so butch he grabbed his pistola and shot the varmits. If it smells funny, it usually is funny. Does this really pass the sniff test, Texans?:rolleyes:

Leonidas: Where's the photo:confused::confused::confused:?

Well, this particular NRA mom isn't buying that Perry is so butch he grabbed his pistola and shot the varmits. If it smells funny, it usually is funny. Does this really pass the sniff test, Texans?:rolleyes:

Leonidas: Where's the photo:confused::confused::confused:?
I'm seeing it - try refresh and see if that works. If not I'll download it to my machine and then upload the file from here.

And here's your Tex-Mex word of the day: I wouldn't call that little thing Rick-o used a pistola, it's more of a cuete (kweh-tay) - a small firecracker.

We have pepper spray because we camp in black-bear country in central Arizona, and though the odds are slim of seeing one and even slimmer (like lottery slim) of being attacked by one it feels good to have it when you hear the mysterious branch breaking near the tent in the middle of the night.

As for this coyote I definitely smell BS as far as needing the gun, even if that coyote did try something aggressive a loud yell and wave of arms would do the trick. They are a hell of a lot smaller than most people think.

Good thought. You know, I always thought pepper spray was a girlie-thing until I met two truckers--big, macho, burly guys--who put off two hijackers who tried to bust open their cab to the truck with a huge bottle of pepper spray. Pretty cool.:D

Here's the deal - some guy is threatening you but he doesn't have a gun or knife - if you only have a gun and shoot him; you will have many legal issues. Pepper spray gives you a non lethal option.

That large bottle might have been bear spray.

4, or most people in any large American city.

Years ago I used to do a lot of fossil hunting and always carried a Colt 1911 Mark IV pistol. I had to use it on a few occasions when rabid skunks or raccoons charged at me. They are small animals and will not charge a person under normal circumstances but, if rabid, look out. The location I was at is far out in the country and miles from any other people. There are also black bear and mountain lions around and a shot in the air will send them running.

Would this be the four people in the US who have never seen one?

Ha

I'm one. As far as I know I've never seen one.And I camp and hike quite a bit. I just don't think they're in the mid-east that much. I've heard reports that they have been seen in the DC area, but never seen one. Now that I'm out near the ocean I doubt I'll see one anytime soon. I think fox pretty much have that particular niche filled in this area.

Never seen an armadillo either. :D

I'm seeing it - try refresh and see if that works. If not I'll download it to my machine and then upload the file from here.

And here's your Tex-Mex word of the day: I wouldn't call that little thing Rick-o used a pistola, it's more of a cuete (kweh-tay) - a small firecracker.

Refreshed a couple a times. Am I the ONLY one who sees no photo:confused:? :blush:

Bill White is running for Governor I heard. Any chance he might get in, Texans? I understand he really cleaned up Houston alot...which it surely needed.

*****AND, while we're on the subject of pepper spray:
Anyone know the brand name of a really great pepper spray--a big one? I'm buying some for my car when I travel.

Refreshed a couple a times. Am I the ONLY one who sees no photo
I'll stick it at the bottom of this post, that should work.
Bill White is running for Governor I heard. Any chance he might get in, Texans? I understand he really cleaned up Houston alot...which it surely needed.
I think Bill has a tough row to hoe. Illegal immigration is going to be the big issue in this election, at least that's how I see it, and there is a lot of discontent with the Federal Government's near total failure on this issue. Perry hasn't gone crazy on the issue, a few moves here and there, but White embarrassed himself with some kind of weaselly compromise in Houston.

As far White "cleaning up" Houston - I would say it is more of a case that he was a much better, and stronger, executive than his predecessor. Lee Brown was a strong police executive, but he was a weak-ass mayor too given to political backscratching that bordered on corrupt practices. White inherited a lot of Brown's mess and he set about fixing as much as he could. He does take a strong hand and can run over people who he might ought to listen to once in a while. (That last part is just my personal opinion, but like I tell my kids all the time, "When I say I am certain of what I'm telling you, believe it." ) But if not for that moment I probably would not have started thinking seriously about ER, so thanks Bill.
*****AND, while we're on the subject of pepper spray: Anyone know the brand name of a really great pepper spray--a big one? I'm buying some for my car when I travel.
All OC sprays are most definitely not created equal, but you should check the applicable laws as some states put severe restrictions on what you can carry. I've heard of some people getting arrested in Texas for having the wrong kind of spray.

Attachments

• RWS_Perry_1-459x428.jpg
    RWS_Perry_1-459x428.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 4
Bill White is running for Governor I heard. Any chance he might get in, Texans? I understand he really cleaned up Houston a lot...which it surely needed.

Leonidas is accurate when he says that Mayor White had a head start on looking good. His predecessor was not particularly confidence-inspiring or effective in pursuing his initiatives, and he certainly was not charismatic. Most would agree White has two of three working for him (the first two).

On Leo's idea that illegal immigration will move to the forefront in the governor's race, I have my doubts. From a Texas Monthly columnist whose opinion I respect on political matters:
"...When KHOU asked Perry’s spokesperson if [the governor] would support similar legislation in Texas, she said he couldn’t answer that question.

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to answer the question either if I were Perry. He doesn’t want to get anywhere near that question. It is potential dynamite in Texas. What happens if the grassroots of the Texas Republican party demands that Texas pass a similar law? What happens if the issue catches fire among Hispanics? The only real hope the Democrats have of winning a statewide race in the foreseeable future is for the sleeping giant of the Hispanic vote to awaken. That’s what Perry has to worry about, and that is why he has pretty much remained mum about the Arizona law...

...The good news for Perry is that the immigration issue is going to have to get a lot hotter before it impacts the governor’s race..."

Back to the original topic:

White has now been quoted as saying he's seen coyotes on bike rides through wooded areas in suburban Houston. He apparently gave the matter-of-fact answer that they either ran away on their own or turned away when shouted at. Gov. Goodhair's response? "I see why".
TRAIL BLAZERS Blog | The Dallas Morning News

Such smart-aleck quips are par for the course with Perry, along with anti-Washington rhetoric. Some folks eat it up, others don't. Assuming White has the money to increase his name recognition state-wide, rather than real policy issues I think White's chances hinge on whether Texans are tired of Perry's act after after so many years.

Rural and small-town residents still make up a large portion of the voters in Texas, particularly in the off-years for presidential races. Despite ticking off many (solid Republican) rural residents with ill-fated toll road schemes, Perry still has a built-in base with many of those voters. Generally, that base doesn't think particularly favorably of Texas' big cities, much less their mayors.

For many voters, it will come down to the devil you know (and maybe even like) vs. the serious-sounding big-city mayor you don't know. For now, advantage Perry.

I agree with you Harry that I don't think either candidate really wants illegal immigration to be the big issue, but I think current events may go against their desires. The new law that Arizona passed is not the way to fix the problem, but it has accomplished one thing: The issue is on the table and I've already seen at least one Texas legislator announce the desire to propose a similar law in Texas.

Most Hispanics that are voters (at least the ones I know) are against illegal immigration, but if the issue were to be turned more toward a discriminatory racial tone, they might come down more toward Bill White. But White's stance on the issue was abysmal in his previous job as mayor of Houston, and non-Hispanic voters are more likely to see the issue as non-racial and more of a public safety problem. But unless this issue starts to get more racially divisive I think Perry will come out on top on the illegal immigration topic.

Given the relatively good state of the economy and employment picture, I think Perry gets some credit there (whether or not he deserves it).

Bill White should get credit for doing a very difficult thing in taking in a couple of hundred thousand refugees from Katrina, but he will also get some stink from that same decision because of the violent crime peak that came along with some of those folks.

White is definitely a take-charge kind of guy and is willing to take the fallout (usually) for his decisions. Given that he is convinced that he is right and charges ahead with his ideas, when he is occasionally wrong he gets a little poo smeared on him from those mistakes - and deservedly so.

Barring Perry making a major mistake, or the illegal immigration issue taking some radical turns that give White a decisive advantage amongst Hispanic voters, White will give Perry a decent fight but probably won't prevail.

The Texas Governorship is not quite symbolic in nature, but its much weaker than in just about any other state I can think of. The Texas Constitution doesn't give a lot of power to the office holder. But as George Bush proved, it can be a very prominent job as a springboard to something bigger. Don't think that Rick Perry doesn't have at least a little bit of aspirations toward being a more equal animal, I'm not sure Bill White is thinking that way.

Excuuuuuuuse me, fellas!!! Lee Brown and his wife did SO much for Houston. Let me paraphrase Mayor Brown upon his leaving the Houston Mayor's office: "My wife and I have traveled more throughout the world in my two terms of office than any other Mayor and his wife in the entire world.":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::nonono::cool::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This loser actually bragged about not being in Houston while he was in office!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: He actually blowed about spending the taxpayer's money (and that means mine as I was there then) to travel the world with his wife and have fun...or, as he said, doing public relations for the city of Houston...cough, cough.

I felt I was the only citizen that even noticed until the last couple weeks of his term when the Houston Chronicle FINALLY had a big article on the right hand column of the front page of the paper that stated Brown did nothing while he was in office. Thank heaven the Chronicle gave him that for his bye-bye present.

He did, too, do something: he let the city be overrun with scum!!! For a guy who was Atlanta's COP, he surely wasn't blind to the high, obvious crime that went up during his term of office. HPD must has had their hands totally full--especially after 9/11.

I am just baffled that nobody could do anything about him while he was not doing anything in office. If he were in Chicago--as corrupt as Chicago and the State of Illinois is--his fanny would be out on the street pronto!!! Chicago is called the "city that works" AND that means they use corrupt methods often to get what they want--and bullying--but the city does work and nobody can argue about that. No major city strikes with it's government help like NYC has had....just don't question HOW things get done up here if you want to keep your nose on your face or get beaten up or your car destroyed or a million other "accidents" you could have.

Houston politics should be ashamed to allow someone like Brown to stay in office as Mayor, and I wonder about the i.q. of the citizens to vote him in 2 times.:nonono: Or were we voting "minority" as the issue since Brown was Afro-American and not what he actually did his first term, which was zip.

White, obviously, ruffles feathers but he, at least, is a businessman and gets things done. The guy has a backbone and a belief system. As much as I might argue with him, I'd rather have a go-getter than some supposed-Mayor traveling the world in "public relations" rather than actually doing something for the city he is Mayor of. Lee Brown should be ashamed of himself...but he's probably laughing all the way to the bank about how stupid Houstonians are.

Houston Mayorship was just one big world travel vacation for Lee Brown and his wife while he was in "office." It's actually sickening cause I saw how much the city went down during his two terms...and I mean dooooooown.

*****Thanks for posting the photo, Leonidas. Nice PR photo where's he to look "natural"...if you get my drift. Personally, I could care less if the guy is flamboyant as all get-out if he's actually doing some work for the good of the State of Texas.

Back
Top Bottom