Drowning doesn't look like drowning

This is an excellent article. Thank you for posting it, Calmloki. I was a lifeguard during several college summers. I never lost anyone, but I had a few close calls.

I was swimming with the woman who later became my wife at Venice Beach when she first came out to California from Italy where she was used to the Mediterranean. She got into trouble just beyond the surf line and I swam out to her and started towing her in through moderately heavy surf. The lifeguard saw us and swam out with a buoy and took over, for which I was grateful. I had been a lake lifeguard, and though I was used to ocean swimming I was not used to ocean lifeguarding. Things can go bad fast in the cold water and heavy surf.

Ha

Thanks, I shared that with some of my friends with kids.

I've been on both ends. Saved someone from drowning, and was saved from drowning. The article is right on.

This is an excellent article. Thank you for posting it, Calmloki. I was a lifeguard during several college summers. I never lost anyone, but I had a few close calls...

Ha

Thanks for the excellent article.

As a side thought, I wonder if being a Lifeguard is precursor occupation to being ERed. Kind of like if you ever had a model airplane fly, then you are likely to be a successful pilot.

Free to Canoe (former lifeguard)

Good article - thanks for that. One of my sisters, aged 5, was saved from downing in an indoor pool full of people by an alert lifeguard who knew what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom