Flaky Craigslisters

No-shows were among of our major complaints about trying to find tenants via Craigslist. We lost track of the number of times we trekked over to the place, waited 30-45 minutes and left, without so much as a "We can't make it" call from the people who'd called to request a showing. And their cell phones were always turned off.

Amethyst

But the worst are the no-shows. t.

Yeah, I stopped scheduling individual showings years ago. Now EVERYONE gets the same time. And all see who else wants the place. Helps alot.

What ticks me off are the robo answers. Posted this ad yesterday:
"Looking for a good solid six cylinder BMW station wagon to replace my older BMW touring. Looking for a 1999 to 2002 525 or 528 touring from a private party, hopefully a long time owner. Sound car only, not looking to buy your problems. Non-smoker's car. I'm a private party cash buyer, not looking to trade you anything, not shopping depending on my ability to get a loan. Just a simple straight-up cash purchase of a good quality car. Will pay Edmunds private party True Market Value for your car - look the value up yourself online. If you have the car I want, in the condition you say, we both get a quick, no-dicker sale. I get the car I want without playing games, you get a fast easy sale, fair price is set by a disinterested party. We both win. Sound reasonable?
"web site called Edmunds - dang right I'm serious but ok" ** car shoppers - good ammo, er, info: TMV new car prices, used car pricing, used car values at Edmunds **

Got a short inarticulate answer this morning, which I responded to, because I'm shopping for a car, not a penpal, and got this robo-ad:
"You don’t have to sell this!

I used to sell stuff on CL just like you are doing to pay my bills. I ended up realizing a lot of people get ripped off, its over-all NOT SAFE anymore to meet people from Craigslist. A friend of mine told me about an amazing website and said I should check it out so I did. I made about $4000 last month. I’m making more than I was at my regular job. If you want to try it visit http://www.blahblahblah [MOD EDITED]

If you need help getting started please let me know".

I posted some books on CL this very morning and received the same email back as above. I wonder why CL can't stop this spammer:confused:?

I did an estate sale on CL in a city 2000 miles from home. I booked everyone at fifteen minute intervals, then just overlayed the other callers. Had a list to say "Oh you are early!, etc". I could not retun all the calls/emails but I relied on the people being determined enough to show up anyway. Got rid of some amazing stuff for bargain prices (but more than I had thought).

I posted some books on CL this very morning and received the same email back as above. I wonder why CL can't stop this spammer:confused:?

Got my second spam letter this a.m. Both of mine started with "You don't have to sell this so cheap?" Otherwise, the same stuff. Seems like someone sits there and types the first line as there's typos in it, and then the rest is robo-d. No way to stop it:confused:?

About a month ago saw a CL ad for 93 Jaguar. A few towns over. Sent a query as to when can I see it. No response.

A few days ago someone posted re: same Jag - telling lister that if he wants to sell it it might be useful to reply to folks. Or put in a phone #. Now I have lost interest even if I got a reply.

Next listing ......

Got my second spam letter this a.m. Both of mine started with "You don't have to sell this so cheap?" Otherwise, the same stuff. Seems like someone sits there and types the first line as there's typos in it, and then the rest is robo-d. No way to stop it:confused:?

Try blocking the senders email address. It will stop at least that one.

Hmm - did I just become a flaky CLer? I sent an e-mail asking for the serial number for the dryer listed. Got a weird response that it was on the original posting. I am not responding further...

When I Craigslisted a lot of stuff when I sold my home I had the best luck by blocking email responses and posting my phone number. On the phone if someone asked for a serial number or a measurement or whatever I could usually do what they asked while they were on the phone. I found that the email inquiries were pesky with many evidencing that they did not read the ad fully. Plus, the spam was a pain.

Back
Top Bottom