Friend Ties Up Dog

I hope you called the local shelter or animal control officer. Telling them is one thing, getting this poor animal away from them is a better idea.

Good for you Al for caring. :flowers:

I understand the sentiment but tell me how you would keep a dog at home at night on a large farm without chaining it up or tying it up in some form? (Fenced in yard or area?)

Well, we keep ours in the barn....

Another option, if there is no barn, is an outdoor kennel, such as

Best Outdoor Dog Kennel Runs

We have several of these and can use them modularly to do several different configurations. Works fine for when we want them to be outdoors but want them confined in a smaller area than the whole property.

......... About once a week we walk them to a local diner for breakfast and leash them out front where we can see them from the window.............

I almost got bitten by a dog tethered outside a restaurant window as you described. He leaped at me and would have nailed me if I had not jumped out of reach. I'm sure he felt he was protecting his owners inside, but I went into the restaurant and gave them hell. :mad: A dog on a leash or chain feels vulnerable and may well be more aggressive.

You guys do realize T-Al made all this up about the Dog just to get your blood pressure up don't you?
There never was a black dog or a neighbor/friend.
He's just BS'ing all of us. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Steve
You can never trust a musician, don't you know.

You guys do realize T-Al made all this up about the Dog just to get your blood pressure up don't you?
There never was a black dog or a neighbor/friend.
He's just BS'ing all of us. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Steve
You can never trust a musician, don't you know.

Right. Musicians are wiley... buskers learned long ago that having a bedraggled dog staring dolefully at the crowd gets the tip jar fuller, faster.

:D

I understand the sentiment but tell me how you would keep a dog at home at night on a large farm without chaining it up or tying it up in some form? (Fenced in yard or area?).
Yes, a fenced-in kennel area or run. They aren't expensive, they allow for a roof to keep the sun and rain off the dog while it is out, it keeps other dogs and predators from attacking the dog, and it's a lot more humane than a chain. I live in southern Ohio, and in some counties it's illegal to keep a dog on a chain.

BTW, you have bunnies (or a bunny?), right? How did they get along?
So sorry, Nords (wait, sorry, I meant Al).
Al and I get along fine!

Dogs think bunnies are great, even without the garlic sauce.

Seriously, though, we've been advised that it's best to have cohabiting dogs and bunnies be of roughly the same size and arrive at the new home either together or with the bunny going first.

I understand the sentiment but tell me how you would keep a dog at home at night on a large farm without chaining it up or tying it up in some form? (Fenced in yard or area?)

Again, I am not talking about a lap dog but a hunting hound or other type normally found on farms.

I work with herding dog rescue (border collies) and many times we place dogs in working homes. Farmers understand the need to secure livestock, both from a value and a liability standpoint. Most of the time, "real" working dogs live in decent sized concrete runs with shelters when they aren't working. Lots of the most famous border collies in this country and in the UK (herding trial champions) secretly live in their master's houses as pets when not competing.

Even my grandfather's hunting dogs (and he was as old school as you could get) lived in fairly spacious pens. Never once was a dog tied up in his yard.

People who invest in well-trained stock dogs or hunting dogs wouldn't consider leaving their health and safety to chance with a tieout that could fail or choke the dog to death.

Right. Musicians are wiley... buskers learned long ago that having a bedraggled dog staring dolefully at the crowd gets the tip jar fuller, faster.

:D
My husband discovered that if he sat on a bench in front of the beach grocery store near our house with our Carl when he was a cute puppy, that young girls in bikinis would bend over to pet said dog as they came in and out of the store. :cool:
He says he wished he'd known this before we got married.

My husband discovered that if he sat on a bench in front of the beach grocery store near our house with our Carl when he was a cute puppy, that young girls in bikinis would bend over to pet said dog as they came in and out of the store. :cool:
He says he wished he'd known this before we got married.

Hey, what's he want with those adolescents when he's got a real live hoopin' woman? :)

Ha

People all over the country are abandoning their homes and leaving their animals behind to fend for themselves now. I guess on Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs, animals rate waaay down there.:rolleyes: Maybe the care we take of those who can't fend well for themselves should be the way we rate civilization? And it ain't shinin' too bright during this Recession to me. Just IMHO.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
--Gandhi

Not judging this case one way or the other, and being a pet lover(dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs but not snakes) and even though from this angle Al looks correct....

What is amazing to me is that perfectly normal humans will scream bloody murder about the mistreatment, manor or major, of animals, but will often not have much comment at all toward the enormous mistretment of fellow humans by deed and more especially by their mean and hurtful words which destroy many many lives.

Having spent two thirds of my life listening the children under the age of 11 tell me horrible things that their parents did to them or said to them, I know this to be true.

What is amazing to me is that perfectly normal humans will scream bloody murder about the mistreatment, manor or major, of animals, but will often not have much comment at all toward the enormous mistretment of fellow humans by deed and more especially by their mean and hurtful words which destroy many many lives.

Having spent two thirds of my life listening the children under the age of 11 tell me horrible things that their parents did to them or said to them, I know this to be true.

Yeah, OK, but dogs just moon at you their whole lives. Kids insist on getting over that stage. No comparison. What dog ever said, F... U Mom, I hate you! You are so totally stupid!

ha

Yeah, OK, but dogs just moon at you their whole lives. Kids insist on getting over that stage. No comparison. What dog ever said, F... U Mom, I hate you! You are so totally stupid!

ha

I've know cats that "said" this but I still love them anyway;)

Dogs think bunnies are great, even without the garlic sauce.

Seriously, though, we've been advised that it's best to have cohabiting dogs and bunnies be of roughly the same size and arrive at the new home either together or with the bunny going first.
My late cat was kept indoors all her life. Hence, she lost all her hunting instinct, and looked indifferently at the bunny and the mice that my children once raised. She was the sweetest cat we ever had. Still to be safe, I don't think my children ever let her be alone with the mice. With the bunny perhaps.

I have read that some people like to have their cats raised the "natural way", meaning allowing them to go out and hunt birds or drag small animals home. We however would rather not.

ha

My cat used to say that, and then she would pee on the couch and on my pillow and anywhere she wanted. We tried everything. Last January she spent most of her life in the cold garage.

And then we got this stuff made up of Mother Cat pheronomes. Its like one of those plug in air freshioners. Gradually the whole house including us began to smell just like MOTHER CAT. And everyone knows that neither people nor animals PEE ON THEIR MOTHERS. After using about 3 bottles of it, her relationship with us is so different and so loving, that its hard to believe that she used to tell us to get F'd, and give me that murderous stare that told me that if I was smaller I would be dead.

We no longer use it. She knows where her mother is, and it is here somewhere and it is US, and it is even the labrador retreiver.

My sister has used the plug in pheromones in the past, as has a cousin. They both reported positive results. I've not tried it myself but our vet is a believer in it as part of behavioral therapy for problem cats.
Because ours is a multiple (and I do mean multiple--7 at the moment) cat household, these types of solutions are less effective for what we euphemistically call "retributional wetting sessions".

Back
Top Bottom