• Dogs - 4 or more

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Dogs - 3

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Dogs - 2

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dog - 1

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • Small pet (hamster, mouse, bird, fish, excluding reptile)

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Large animal (horse, cow, pig etc.)

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Reptile

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • No animals

Votes: 33 28.4%

• Total voters
got it

Was due to using mobile application and coming back in through the net.

What a cute granddaughter, and the goats I love Nubians.

My late DB had a standard size one(goat) that had free run of his Home/farm/sawmill. The goat loved it, she spent hours chewing bark from logs to get into the Cambium layer(apparently to a goat it was a delicacy). There were always piles of lumber/logs to climb. Of course when I bent over to stack a fresh railroad tie, she would sneak up to butt me at just the right time.

But the greatest of all was her love of jumping on top of parked cars. We never had anything that was worth more than $200, but the guys with brand new vehicles saw no humor in the goat jumping on the hood/roof of their precious new cars/trucks.

Thanks for a trip back to a very (bizarre) but happy time.

MRG

Currently two cats. Had three but one died last December. Couple of others that are hanging around. One is sort of living under the porch sneaking a meal but hasn't decided to join the group yet.

I wonder if a lot of us INTJs are cat people

I'm another INTJ felinophile, and I also wonder if there is a correlation between personality type and pet preference. I already had a cat of my own and will be taking in my mom's cat as soon as the remodeling on my house is done and it's safe for kitties to live in again, so I voted "two cats" in the poll, even though they are both being boarded at the moment.

3 cats here. It started with one but you know how that goes.

I really have to stop at this number and not acquire any more. Mind you, that's what I told myself when the second one came into my life :LOL:

3 cats inside and 1 outside. At some point in a few years we may have another cat inside that presently resides with wife's mother.

Cheers!

Two sibling cats that I rescued. I've found that introducing kittens and adult cats doesn't always work well if you are hoping they will be companions for each other. The best you can expect is that they'll tolerate each other. Since you've already taken them in you already know how they get along, so at least you can see how it will probably go. If I go through this again, and hopefully it won't be for many years, I would adopt siblings again as it's really nice to see them play and sleep together, and I know when I travel that they are keeping each other company.

We have 5 indoor cats. DD's family has been living with us for a year and they have 1 indoor cat and 1 Old English Sheepdog. I don't plan on having any pets after these ones are gone. I believe the 2 oldest cats are 11 yrs now and the 2 youngest are 7 or 8 yrs. They should be around for awhile.

Two sibling cats that I rescued. I've found that introducing kittens and adult cats doesn't always work well if you are hoping they will be companions for each other. The best you can expect is that they'll tolerate each other. Since you've already taken them in you already know how they get along, so at least you can see how it will probably go. If I go through this again, and hopefully it won't be for many years, I would adopt siblings again as it's really nice to see them play and sleep together, and I know when I travel that they are keeping each other company.

It is actually interesting that our 2 cats were adopted a year apart... they get along great... still run around the house playing with each other...

So far they do not like the new kitties... but, we have let them out into the house and the kitties seem to ignore the older ones most of the time and play with each other...

We have scheduled a drop off time this coming Sat....

Here are pics (if it works)

Attachments

• DSC_0822.jpg
    DSC_0822.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0838.jpg
    DSC_0838.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0850.jpg
    DSC_0850.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 4
I'm a dog person, Texas Proud, and even I find those photos absolutely adorable!

Here are pics (if it works)
Well, they certainly work for me :D What adorable kittens!

I've found that introducing kittens and adult cats doesn't always work well if you are hoping they will be companions for each other. The best you can expect is that they'll tolerate each other.
That seems to be the common wisdom, and it's what I was thinking when I brought home a 5 month-old stray to live with a (then) 10 year-old very shy and nervous adult rescue cat. I was concerned, thinking that the rambunctious and confident kitten was going to overpower the shy adult. As it happened, she really brought the shy older lady out of herself. The kitten was a bit of a bully, but the older gal started standing up for herself and even throwing a few bats and swipes back at the youngster. Eventually, they became playmates and now they keep me awake most nights running around after, and purping at, each other.

They don't curl up together when they sleep, but they often nap and sleep in close proximity on adjacent levels of their main cat tree.

I think that if the older cat had been confident, it might not have worked but the relative ages, personalities, and the order in which they were introduced to the same territory all contributed to a successful outcome. Cat psychology is pretty interesting stuff.

And then to top it all off, I introduced a 3rd (adult blind) cat to the mix a couple of months ago. So far, things are going OK *fingers crossed*.

I'm sure we'd love all our cats to be best friends and playpals but one thing I've learned is that as long as fur and blood and pieces of bitten-off ears aren't flying around the place then you don't have a real cat-fight, and there is hope. Mine will bat each other if they are feeling irritated, then move to sniffing each other's noses (a good sign) and then playing with each other in short order.

For anyone here who has one cat - I urge you to consider at least one more to keep your kitty company, and to give you more than twice the entertainment!

Last edited:
15 chickens, three turkeys and two cats.

Possibly three more chicks in about two weeks, if the eggs hatch.

Just had to post this as part of the responses to the thread. I mentioned in my original post that we had two dogs (Chihuahuas) and an African Gray parrot. These birds are well known as being the best talkers and I know they only repeat words they have heard. Our Gray is named Mac and I'm making this post because he just said "Mac---fresh water". I looked and sure enough, his water bottle was about empty. I know he picked this up from us saying "fresh water" when we changed his water bottle. To recognize this on his own and ask for it is amazing.

May sound simple but he knows why the dogs go out and when we return he says "puppies go potty?". Or he'll call one of the dogs, "Dixie want to go potty?" He has a toy with buttons like a preschooler might have where you push A and the toy says "A-apple". He relates that to getting a treat so every once in a while he will say "A-apple" and my wife heads to the fridge.

You would be surprised at him making the noise of a ringing telephone, saying "hello" and then carrying on some conversation in various voices (unintelligible), saying "good bye" and then he makes the beeping sound of hanging up. He is really good whistling the Andy Griffith theme as we used to watch the show and he picked up the song.

He makes many other sounds and sometimes it will get on your nerves like a garbage truck backing up. I mean he makes the exact beeping sound. Sometimes he rings the phone and we actually think it's our phone ringing.

Maybe this is no big deal to you all, but I thought it would make an interesting post. Sorry!

Last edited:
Absolutely no need to apologize Johnnie36 - these stories of people's pets are very entertaining (for me, anyway!) It sure makes for a nice diversion from the latest "What is a good SWR" thread :D

Absolutely no need to apologize Johnnie36 - these stories of people's pets are very entertaining (for me, anyway!) It sure makes for a nice diversion from the latest "What is a good SWR" thread :D

Me too, as a related memory we had a Gulfin Cockotoo(not the best talkers), that thing could perfectly imitate our Malteese barking. I was so ticked one day about my wife ignoring the dog, I said something not as polite as I should have about what's wrong with the dog, what does it want?

She had a good time with letting me figure out who the culprit really was. I got to taste a little crow.

MRG

1 dog for us, down from 2. Our old girl passed away a couple of years ago when she was 16. I had said she was going to be our last, but then our daughter showed up with a stray Yorkie about 6 years ago (see my avatar) and we ended up keeping her. She's about 9 years old now.

Texas Proud - your kitties are adorable. I had kitties until I married 37 years ago. My husband is very allergic, so no more kitties for me.

JOHNNIE36 - I loved your story about your parrot.

I have three cats and a snake. Used to have a dog as well, but the dog died from cancer back in 2010. The cats are about 4, 9 1/2, and 14 years old. And as they die off, I don't know that I want to replace them. One of them craps too much, the other pukes all over the place, and the third eats too much!

I think the snake, a ball python, is about 12-13 years old now. They can live to be well into their 20's, so he'll probably be around for awhile.

Texas Proud - gorgeous kittens!!

We have 4 cats, and have been a 3-4 cat family since the late 1990's. As far as new cats getting along with older cats, it just depends. We had 2 males back in the 1980's that for 2 years would regularly beat the tar out of one another, and one of them took to peeing all over the house. This is the only cat I ever returned to the shelter. Remaining cat got along just fine with another male we acquired.

Since 1996, we have had nothing but females, and for the most part they have always gotten along just fine. Right now we have a 16-year old, two 2-year olds, and a 9-month old who weaseled her way in. The younger ones have been mostly fine with the newest one, but the old cat (Murphy) has been pretty pissed about the whole thing. No fights, just hissing if the little one (not so little now) gets too close. But lately - I posted this picture in "animals we share our lives with" - there seems to be a truce. This just really made me happy.

Attachments

• IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom