Join Early Retirement Today

How much does it cost to paint a house?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much does it cost to paint a house?

I have a 2200 sq foot one story brick house. The only wood is the trim, eaves, garage door and things like that. No siding anywhere. Any idea approx. how much a painter would charge to paint the exterior?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I have a 2200 sq foot one story brick house. The only wood is the trim, eaves, garage door and things like that. No siding anywhere. Any idea approx. how much a painter would charge to paint the exterior?
Usually you can get an estimate for free.

I don't really know. I had the trim, shutters, and doors rolled into the interior painting job. Well, except for the trim around the patio and the three French doors leading out to it, and trim around them. I bartered an older 42" plasma TV for that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This is very similar to a termite treatment . Prices may vary widely. Get more than one free estimate. Be very clear on how much prep and/or repair work will be done and who furnishes the paint and what type. Oil or latex. Spray and/or brush. Get a written contract that species exactly what will be done.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
This is very similar to a termite treatment . Prices may vary widely. Get more than one free estimate. Be very clear on how much prep and/or repair work will be done and who furnishes the paint and what type. Oil or latex. Spray and/or brush. Get a written contract that species exactly what will be done.
+1

...and the number of coats.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recently hired a painter whose vanity plate is "twocoats". But I still got a contract. And lo and behold, there were a couple of areas which didn't get that second coat. I had to call him back to fix it.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #6

We paid $2000 a year ago for about what you describe. That included prep work, high quality paint and two coats.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Our painter tints his base coat to be close to the top coat.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a brick ranch style, which I myself used to paint about every 6 or 7 years or so. I think for the money in the long haul...get some estimates for siding to be applied on the house...under the eves, soffets, around the windows, garage door frames, etc. Prices vary, so get several estimates.

Now, when I go out and look at my house...I smile! No more outside upkeep. No more replacing rotten wood corner eves, etc. In the long run...the cost is more than one paint job, but it will pay for itself after 2 or 3. Just my opinion.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #9

We will be retiring and selling this house in under 4 years so I don't think siding makes sense in my situation. I haven't gotten any quotes yet but after walking around the house and getting a good look, I'm leaning towards doing it myself. Unless I can find a painter hurting for work who will give me a great deal.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've never had to learn how much it costs to pay someone to paint a house, but a gallon of paint will cover about 300 sq ft of exterior surface. The cost depends on the quality, and in the long run it's better to stick with the high quality instead of having to repeat the labor more frequently.

Quote:
I haven't gotten any quotes yet but after walking around the house and getting a good look, I'm leaning towards doing it myself.
It's a great DIY project, and you'll be much happier with the quality:
Exterior Painting Tips and Techniques | The Family Handyman

Quote:
Unless I can find a painter hurting for work who will give me a great deal.
If they're hurting for work then it might not just be due to the recession. I'm scared of painters offering great deals. Painting is an area where you will get exactly what you pay for, what you know to look for, and what you inspect. By the time you're done with all the due diligence and monitoring, you know enough to start doing for yourself.

I've been watching "This Old House" and other home-improvement shows for over 25 years, and I've noticed that paint brushes & rollers are far more common than spray nozzles. I'm amazed by how residential painters get away with using spray.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've been watching "This Old House" and other home-improvement shows for over 25 years, and I've noticed that paint brushes & rollers are far more common than spray nozzles. I'm amazed by how residential painters get away with using spray.
Everything I've read about spraying mentions following it with a roller/brush to get the paint embedded properly. Otherwise, it can be uneven, splotchy or create runs in the finish. But the claim is spraying is still faster.

I'm currently in the middle of painting the outside of my house. Prior owners always hired people. Whoever they used, didn't use primer much, if at all. Lots of peeling paint and sloppy work. Surprised at the amount of paint drips and brick dabbed with paint. I will mention that I'm using Behr for the first time outside, which is very disappointing in it's hiding capabilities. After a primer coat and 2 coats of paint using white, I can still see old, white/tinted light grey still coming through and had to do a 3rd coat is some areas. I've never had this problem using Benjamin Moore paint in the past. Behr was supposedly ranked top (or near the top) for paint by Cons. Reports too. Was at a Sherwin Williams grand opening store yesterday. paint is reg. price at $58+/gal, but with 40% off it was $35/gal! This makes you understand why people go and buy Behr paint. I was shocked when they told me they don't carry a paint brush spinning cleaner at a paint specialty store. Employees there were clueless, they had to ask the mgr about getting one in from another store! I've gotten better help at Home Depot/Lowes about products in general.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #12

Be careful of anyone who pressure washes as the prep/scrape. The pressure wash will flood the eaves and cavity behind any clapboard. Then - in time - as the excess water escapes .... your paint job peels.

I hand wash and scrape.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #13

We paid about $1600 for a similar job on our house but we have some areas of wood siding (mostly brick). The price included 2 coats plus replacement of a few peices of rotten wood.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I paid $3,000 for a 3,800 sq. foot house including deck railings and fence .
Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've done some house painting and just got a quote which has me thinking I should do more of my own work.

What do people use to clean off their siding before painting? I noticed this brush with extension on Amazon which looks kind of cool: Amazon.com: Carrand 97210 Siding & Eaves Brush: Patio, Lawn & Garden Thoughts on this brush? If I do the work, I'll buy good tools to get the job done right.

BTW, For areas that show mold spores I'd use a weak bleach solution with this brush I guess. Naturally one should let it dry thoroughly. Here is one link to prep work: Exterior House Painting: Clean the Surfaces Prior to Painting A painter I had do some work liked Sherwin Williams Duration. It's fairly pricey but covers very well in one coat.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I've done some house painting and just got a quote which has me thinking I should do more of my own work.

What do people use to clean off their siding before painting? I noticed this brush with extension on Amazon which looks kind of cool: Amazon.com: Carrand 97210 Siding & Eaves Brush: Patio, Lawn & Garden Thoughts on this brush? If I do the work, I'll buy good tools to get the job done right.

A painter I had do some work liked Sherwin Williams Duration. It's fairly pricey but covers very well in one coat.
It's definitely cheaper doing it yourself since the cost is mostly labor, more in prep than painting and not the materials.
I'm sure the brush will work, seems like a car wash type brush that you attach your water hose through the handle. I prefer not to use extension poles since it lessens the force you can apply while scrubbing. The cleaners I use is what I already have in the house, Mr. Clean, Spic N Span, etc and then rinse off with water. Also visited Sherwin Williams on Sat. and the sales people recommended using 2 coats applying Duration even though the description claims 1 coat coverage. I've never gotten full 1 coat coverage using Pratt & Lambert or Benjamin Moore paint either, I've never used Sherwin Williams paint before, but contractors seem to shop there since they get discounts based on volume purchases.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
It's definitely cheaper doing it yourself since the cost is mostly labor, more in prep than painting and not the materials.
I'm sure the brush will work, seems like a car wash type brush that you attach your water hose through the handle. I prefer not to use extension poles since it lessens the force you can apply while scrubbing. ...
Hi Dimsumkid, I've done some scrubbing with just a standard brush before too. It's just a pain to get up and down a ladder. When I've applied Duration with 1 coat, it was over the same color.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
gone traveling

I've had some housepainting done (although I need little). The only thing I've found over the years is quality trumps quantity.

You can go cheap - and pay less, or you can pay a bit more and get a job done that will last much longer (and be cheaper in the long run).

It's up to you and your "standards", and what you wish to pay...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hi Dimsumkid, I've done some scrubbing with just a standard brush before too. It's just a pain to get up and down a ladder. When I've applied Duration with 1 coat, it was over the same color.
I can't disagree there, it sure is a pain going up/down a ladder. I'm currently working on my house and it's a 2 story. I really hate pulling out the 25-30ft ladder to reach the 2nd story fascia/soffit, but I figure I can't paint it with an extension pole and do a good job, so I use the same methodology when cleaning too. A neighbor has a painter doing their place and he doesn't seem to use extensions to clean either. I see him up the ladder all day long, hand scraping practically every inch of the place. He's been working on the exterior for over 6-7 weeks.

If you're repainting the same color, it's probably fine using 1 coat, probably won't make a difference what brand either. You can only tell 1 coat coverage when changing the color. I'm using Behr (1st time) and it's taken a primer coat, and up to 3 coats to fully cover (even using 4 coats going to deep red on bare metal). I mentioned before, it's supposedly one of the better rated by Cons. Reports, but the hide coverage stinks and they didn't state that part at all. And I'm not doing a drastic color change either, going from off white/grey tint to plain white.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Dimsumkid, I guess this depends a little on the situation for paint prep. I'm just painting the areas that really need it. The south (sunny) side is showing some oxidation so I need to do that in September. It's really not dirty so I figure a modest pressure to clean would be OK. That brush from Amazon would make the job a bit easier. But as you point out I'll stiff have to get the ladder out for the painting.

The north facing walls are fine but have some mildew (or perhaps soot) showing. That brush with extensions might work with a 1:5 solution of bleach. Or it might require more scrubbing in which case the ladder will be needed.

So I'm thinking that Amazon extension brush might be useful for painters with modest cleaning requirements. Just guessing on this though.

P.S. For me it's more fun to discuss the painting job then to actually do the work .