How to get rid of a dead squirrel

Mission Accomplished. The poor guy was murdered, and is now bagged and in the can. (Bite wound in his or her gut.)

As for pets in my city, you can put it in the trash, if you want to. The Humane Society will come pick it up for a $150 fee, which includes cremation. (My last dog died at home in the winter and burial wasn't an option. Dad helped me take his body to be cremated.)

Animal Control is only for dead animals on public property, or some other way a public issue. (They deal with live animals.) Of course, if you have suspicions for health reasons, you can voice that and might get a different response. We also have a fantastic state wildlife officer in this region of New York, and no doubt he would have gotten back to me if I contacted him. After seeing my guy was murdered, bagging it seemed like the right choice.

Thanks for all the assistance in giving this guy a send off.

Kate

Mission Accomplished. The poor guy was murdered, and is now bagged and in the can. (Bite wound in his or her gut.)
There you go. The good news is, that indicates it wasn't likely killed by disease going around in your neighborhood.

Most likely a cat got to it, I'd guess.

That way onlookers don't notice you are disposing of a body?

BTW - shouldn't KHAN be the go-to source for squirrel information?

Personally, I'd toss it onto the patio for raccoon take-out.

A different approach

Any suggestions on how to dispose of a dead squirrel?
How about ...

~ squirrels, amount depends how hungry you are
~ 1 large onion, chopped
~ couple stalks celery, chopped
~ 1 - 2 carrots, chopped
~ peppercorns
~ water, beer or chicken stock
~ flour
~ paprika
~ beer

Clean and quarter squirrels. Add to a large soup pot. Cover with water, beer or chicken stock.

Add the onion, celery, carrots and peppercorns to taste.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender.

Remove meat from pot and cool. Remove bones. Keep the meat in nugget size pieces.

In a bowl, mix some flour and beer together to a "gravy consistency". Season to taste with paprika.

Dip the nuggets into the batter and deep fry to a golden brown.

Serve with ketchup, ranch dressing or homemade plum jam for dipping.

Other recipes on request...

I killed 17 chipmonks one summer (just had too many) with a rat trap. Would wrap them super tight in newspaper and seal with duct tape. Then I'd put that in a couple of Wal-mart bags and seal those, then put it in a regular plastic garbage bag by itself, and then into the heavy-duty black garbage bag with the other trash. Within 2 days they'd start to get real stinky, and I'd have to take the bag out of the garage and put it in the back of my pick-up truck until garbage day because of the stink.

Some of the responses to this thread are just nuts....

(Sorry, but someone had to do it...)

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 86
I hate picking up dead animals so when I've had to deal with them I'd either go the shovel route or use those giant barbecue tongs and toss the critter in the garbage can before I gaged . That is one of the reasons to have a SO for these kind of issues .

Fluffy left a dead moth on the window sill a couple of weeks ago. I can't bring myself to disposing of it, not even using surgical gloves. It's the only trophy she didn't eat, think I'll just put it under glass like Snow White. She's so proud.:flowers:

Bonfire and cremation. Let burn for 1/2 an hour before roasting weenies. Finish with marshmallows for S'mores.

I killed 17 chipmonks one summer .....Within 2 days they'd start to get real stinky, and I'd have to take the bag out of the garage and put it in the back of my pick-up truck until garbage day because of the stink.

I guess there are some advantages to living in upstate New York in February!

Mom's cat dies. Ground frozen. Buries in snow on back patio. Spring arrives. Snow melts. Windows open. Oops says Mom. DH buries cat.

I would have nailed the little bugger to a stake and stuck him out by the bird feeder as a warning to any of the other little thieves. Bwahahaha! >:D

I guess that's one of the benefits of living in the Ozarks..You just take it to the food bank...Unless you happen to find it on, say Super Bowl Sunday, then I revert to the finders keepers rule:angel:

I'll see if I can find my receipe for squirel stew ... oh, he's 2 months expired; never mind. Probably doesn't even stink any more.

I say burial. Wouldn't want any predators picking at him if he's been poisoned.

I may not understand things very well here, but if you put the critter in a trash bag, wouldn't it take forever for it to decompose at the local dump? Compared to a relatively short time in the ground? I would just bury it, or throw it out of the way in the yard somewhere.

I found a freshly dead squirrel in the yard last summer and just threw him out in a more vacant area of the yard... within a couple of hours a turkey vulture showed up and I never saw the carcass again. I think they only like freshly dead stuff though :)

Hey! You could do what someone did this morning...they stuffed it in my mail box! :LOL: After double checking the "dead part", I pulled it out and drop kicked it into the ditch....after some real kind words! :whistle:

I may not understand things very well here, but if you put the critter in a trash bag, wouldn't it take forever for it to decompose at the local dump? Compared to a relatively short time in the ground? I would just bury it, or throw it out of the way in the yard somewhere.

The ground is frozen. Yard is too small (city lot, backyard) to just throw it somewhere.

Good news is it went out in the municipal trash pickup with no problem. I've seen these city workers just reach in to grab bags, to cut down on picking up a trash can and putting it back, and I was bit afraid of him taking hold of a dead animal in a bag....:eek:

I have buried small dead critters in the compost.

Back
Top Bottom