Join Early Retirement Today

Ill be home for Christmas Will you?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

No travel plans this year. Will spend Christmas morning at home with our youngest daughter. Later in the day we will visit my oldest daughter and grandkids that live just 3 miles away.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Traveling to the Oregon coast via Portland. I hope I don't get the flu from the plane ride...again.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sort of depends on your perspective, I suppose. We'll be in our adopted home in the Islands. We only go "home" (place of birth/family/old friends) in the summer. I now consider THIS as home. SO, yes, absolutely, I will be home for Christmas - Let's all sing along to it...

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Yup, we'll be here. And DW's closest sister just moved a few months ago to about 15 minutes away instead of two hours, so that's great. They're hosting dinner this year, I imagine we'll bring a pot of something.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I never travel on Christmas. I used to, when my parents were alive, or before I had a family of my own. Anyway, there are very few places if any that I would rather be other than right here.

I remember exhausted kids, huge travel crowds, weather caused plane delays, or dangerous roads if driving. No fun for me.

Ha
Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

Yep, just left Arizona, back in Illinois for a while. We have about 8 relatives coming over. I'm finishing several woodworking projects / Christmas gifts in the next few days, and doing a several day brine/smoke of a brisket.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm doing what I did last year: volunteering for a community dinner and looking forward to spring. This snow is annoying, but I think we've escaped (knock on wood) what much of the country has endured.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We traveled on Christmas every year for our first 25 years married, alternating between my fam and DW's. But we got too old tired of battling crowds, paying inflated airfares for overcrowded flights and the added variable of winter weather messing up everything - and declared a moratorium. We no longer travel at Christmas anymore, and both vs families begrudgingly accept. Yes, we wish we were together, but common sense prevailed. So we usually visit fams 4-6 weeks before or after Christmas (though not Thanksgiving for the same reasons as Christmas). To each his/her own.

We've come to enjoy our quiet Thanksgiving and Christmas together, make a nice dinner, have a little champagne. DW's not so bad...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I know some of my kids' favorite and earliest memories are of long car trips on cold dark December midwinter nights to their grandparents for Christmas, blanketed and pillowed in the minivan as they listened to DH and me talk quietly in the front seat while the radio played endless Christmas carols. Most definitely we will be home this year, with them and their spouses and three tiny girls, two new this year. And in-laws too!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We are having the best of holidays this year . We spent Thanksgiving with my daughter , SIL and two grandsons . Christmas will be our usual large Christmas Eve buffet with SO's sons , DILs , and five grandchildren . By New Years I will be exhausted !
Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have never had to travel for Christmas, as both of our widowed mothers live in town, as do all of our siblings. I used to host a big dinner for both sides.

It's surprising nobody has posted this well-worn song yet.

Oops. Never mind. Koolau beat me to it.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

For many years, if I could get time off at Christmas, I travelled approximately 5000 miles each way "home" to spend time with parents. I found it stressful to deal with winter travel and usually arrived exhausted. The most difficult part was saying goodbye, because there was no guarantee that we would share another Christmas. As a single person, I find that nobody considers that I might like to have Christmas in my own home. I hosted a Christmas dinner once, and almost burnt the house down. Maybe when I return from Mexico I will see how I feel about doing it this year.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #13

We'll be home but for the first time we will be without our daughter. She lives in California and is going away with her boyfriend this Christmas. With our son we flew out a couple of weeks ago and had an early Christmas, gift gifting, lots of time together over a 10 day period. Excellent holiday.

DW will be cooking Christmas dinner and DS will be with us as usual, but I expect it won't be quite the same without the 4 of us.
Home is a nebulous concept, but so dear...
Old 12-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Administrator

Home is a nebulous concept, but so dear...

I don't exactly know where home is because of traveling and moving around during most my life, from infancy. However I have lived in Louisiana for 17 years, longer than any other state, and I have owned my very own home here for the last 11 of those years.

I did not grow up here or go to high school here or marry here or raise my daughter here or bury my parents here in Louisiana. Those happened in several other assorted states. Still, for some reason I really need to create that sense of home somewhere within myself, and for many years have been working hard on making Louisiana my home since no place else has stepped up to the plate.

So yes, I will be spending Christmas in New Orleans, at HOME.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #15

We will spend Christmas Day in Orlando visiting DD#2.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Staying put in Stepfordville. Have had to travel to either Indiana or Florida many times in the past...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'll be home Christmas day so will be doing a solo with my dog. But will have a family get together in Birmingham Sunday and will come home the next day. Two in the family are nurses and they have to work Christmas day so an early celebration for us.

Got all my shopping done yesterday. Gift certificates from Cracker Barrel. Christmas shopping is easy.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We were all set to host Christmas at our place, when DS put a bid in. He wants to start Christmas traditions with his new, growing family at his home. So we all (DW will also be there.) will be traveling 30 minutes to spend Christmas eve, and Christmas day with them. We actually can't wait to experience Christmas through the eyes of our 3 year old, and 6 month old grand daughters.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

This will be our first Christmas in our winter home....Florida. I keep forgetting its Christmas time now that we are surrounded by Palm trees and warmth. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it.
DH parents live here, so we will celebrate with them.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

All those Army Years, I dont think I was ever stationed "Near" home (less than 500 miles). Well yes I was when I was a Recruiter. So my "home", as the saying says is where the Heart is. My heart is with my new bride, here in Illinois. So no need to travel HOME as I am now here! But SAFE Travel and Merry Christmas to those who must.