I’ll be home for Christmas – Will you?

After 24 different homes, we'll be home here in Peru for Christmas. Christmas day, just DW and me... already planned for a pot roast dinner and a cozy by the fire afternoon of Football and a snooze.
The family get together comes on Saturday and Sunday after Christmas with four sons and families feasting and (again) football... Lazy afternoons of football, and laughter.

This morning DW and I kicked off Christmas week with a 15 mile trip from our house to Starved Rock... a wonderful place to visit when you come to N.Central Illinois... It was a spectacular fresh snow covered drive with an hour in the "Lodge" looking out over the Illinois River, and spotting a few of the legendary bald eagles soaring above the bluffs. Quick look here:
Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center | Voted the #1 attraction in the state of Illinois!Starved Rock Lodge & Conference Center

Along the river... watched a huge 3X4 barge going down river... one of the last before the entire river freezes over. He was pushing a 30 foot long pile of ice in front of the leading barges, and moving at about 1 mile an hour.

As the week progresses, weather permitting will take day drives to the small towns in the area... a look back into the 1900's. We don't need much excitement... just some nostalgia for the days when winters began in November and ended in March...

Peace, quiet and nice memories are good!

imoldernu, nice memories is right! I went to Starved Rock back in 1962 with my cousins, aunt, and uncle (a geologist). I have great memories of Starved Rock, of the views, and of climbing around on the rocks with my cousins. We were in our early teens. It's a beautiful place.

Last edited:
Will be here in Ohio by myself. Flying to Florida 27 December; not coming back until February.

We'll be at home- hosting family from Arizona and one of our sons will be here as well. Should be a fun day.

We are in the Hong Kong airport right now on our way to California to spend Christmas with the parents and kids. It will feel like home to be there, but it will be 8000 miles from home. We're really looking forward to seeing the family there. Two weeks and then back to hot and humid home.

On the road again

Leaving on Christmas Day to drive to Florida to spend a week withg my parents. My DW will fly down on Friday. Looking forward to all the Christmas lights in their mobile home park. Everybody over-decorates to compensate for not having snow.

I'll be driving 8 hours to Texas to spend Christmas with my brother and sister and their families. Am bringing presents and tamales.

I'm doing what I did last year: volunteering for a community dinner and looking forward to spring. This snow is annoying, but I think we've escaped (knock on wood) what much of the country has endured.

The dinner went great - there were probably 300+ people there, all in a good mood. When I finally got to sit down, I landed at the head of our table and mostly talked to the people on my left and right: a man and lady (unrelated) both in their 80s. They were sharp and fascinating. It's nice to meet people like that (hope I make it that far!) because they have calmed down (if not cranky) and have experienced and know so much. They were very, very pleasant :)

Back
Top Bottom