Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Why do you want a laptop over a desktop? A desktop offers more and better video options and has beter price performance than a laptop. Do you need mobility or have limited space not mentioned in your needs summary?

Michael
I would like the mobility that a laptop provides. I have a nice large deck at my condo that I would like to go on with my laptop. I'd also like to take it with me when I visit my parents. Also, i'd like to have a laptop so I can bring it along when I travel. I've had a desktop for 7 years, i'd really like to try a laptop this time around.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I would like the mobility that a laptop provides. I have a nice large deck at my condo that I would like to go on with my laptop. I'd also like to take it with me when I visit my parents. Also, i'd like to have a laptop so I can bring it along when I travel. I've had a desktop for 7 years, i'd really like to try a laptop this time around.
I have both a DT and NB and I agree the notebook is very convenient. The Notebook is very nice when you travel and, even at home, I find myself using the Notebook a lot (using it now, in the living room). However, to get the graphics and horsepower you want you may have to spend more. Personally, I am using a Dell Notebook with a SSD (solid state hard drive) and a Dual Processor Chip with 128 MB of Video. Adequate for me but now I see you can actually get one with 256 MB of Video and a SSD twice as large as mine for about the same $$. Good luck on your search. BTW I would recommend you consider a longer term warranty (longer than a year). Notebooks have a habit of being tough to fix (and are expensive to fix) if they act up.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #23

Quote:
I went desktop for those reasons. Still, DW picked up a docking station for $40 and can have whatever size monitor she wants that way. If cost is the only/primary consideration then laptops can't compete, but the premium for the convenience is becoming very small. Unless you are a gamer (which I am) the laptop makes a strong case for itself now.
I use a laptop because I travel a lot and when at home connect to an external monitor. My DW uses a desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Good reasons for a laptop. Do you want to hook up to an external monitor when watching tv/movies?

Lets see, laptop $725-750 1.88GHz, 2GB memory , 250GB hard disk, 14.1 monitor The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
linksys router $48 Amazon.com: Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router: Electronics
norton antivirus $28 Amazon.com: Norton Antivirus 2009: Software

You can still get a 19 dell monitor for $150 and stay under $1K. This configuration will last a good while, especially if you keep the SW.

Note - the dell link is just an example, not a recommendation. The configuration is more than adequate for your need, but there are certainly other good options, including HP and Lenovo. Whichever brand you choose, you should stay toward the low end - it's where the real price performance is. You should also make sure to have as much memory as you can afford (2 GM minimum) - this is key if you want the computer to last.

Michael
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post

I wound up purchasing the 5 year extended warranty for $250.00. Sure enough.......4 plus years into the warranty my hard drive bit the big one. I called the service department # on my warranty and they replaced my hard drive free of charge. This situation happpened to work out for me.

P.S. As a rule of thumb I NEVER purchase the extended warranty on anything I buy!
I'd also suggest that anyone buying a new laptop determine if the Hard Drive is user-serviceable. Some are easy to replace, some are major.

Not uncommon for a hard drive to go bad, but new ones can be had for $80 (probably much less), and *some* are very easy to replace.

But in general I agree that a ext warr makes some sense for a laptop, they do have a higher tendency for failure. I"m surprised the ext warranties are not even higher $.

I also avoid warr, but this area is worth considering.

-ERD50