"...if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq"

Re: "You might get stuck in Iraq..."

mickeyd said:

This seems like an odd comment for a presidential candidate to make in reference to military members that he would be responsible for if he were President of the USA doesn't it?

I'm completely confused by the Democrats' strategy. All I see is a general condemnation of everything the Republicans have done without offering any alternatives. There are plenty of things the current administration has done that I have problems with, but even if their plan is crappy - at least they have a plan. The Dems plan seems to consist solely of "it's time to change course."

When I hear Kerry say something like this,

You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.

it reinforces the realization I had while I was in the military during a Democratic administration. Too many Dems look down upon the military as some kind of subservient underclass.

Guess I'll be holding my nose again when I go vote.

Heh, I would vote for a sack of flour and a basket of oranges for Congress. At least they would do less harm than the current sleazy crew.

Wasn't paying attention to the news today and didn't realize that this story was getting so hot.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2006/10/kerry_gives_fel.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-lewis/kerry-wake-up-and-de_b_32912.html

brewer12345 said:
Heh, I would vote for a sack of flour and a basket of oranges for Congress. At least they would do less harm than the current sleazy crew.

I feel that way about most politicians of either party. But still the Dem strategy is lame. Both parties' campaigns always have some element of "they suck - we don't". Isn't there usually a much larger component of "this is what we'll do if we get elected"?

Leonidas said:
I feel that way about most politicians of either party. But still the Dem strategy is lame. Both parties' campaigns always have some element of "they suck - we don't". Isn't there usually a much larger component of "this is what we'll do if we get elected"?

The Repub strategy isn't any better. Stay the course? C'mon. (Ooops, it's been changed recently due to falling poll numbers.)

Kay Bailey Hutchinson's proposal was worth a more serious look but Bush dismissed it already.

Heheh, check this out: http://www.johnkerry.com/news/releases/release.html?id=33

It is a response to sen. McCain trying to get Kerry to apologize for his comments. I am almost tempted to think that someone hacked Kerry's site and put this up as a hoax, since you rarely see such refreshing directness from a politican. I guess Kerry has decided that he's not going to get elected to the WH so he might as well say what he thinks.

Oh, and what is so "lame" about trying to cooperate with our allies, tell the Iraqis to sh!t or get off the pot so we can get out of there, and start putting back the checks and balances that King George and his pet Congress have dismanled lately? I know it means that nobody will get to land somewhere in a flight suit and spout soon-to-be-ironic nonsense punchlines, but someone has to make some sacrifices to clean up the mess.

I am so tired of the both parties and this is from the local all the way up to the Presidency with all the lying, stealing, and sending us "American Tax Payers"all down the river. There is very little difference between Parties any more. So this time I am considering a lot of votes for the "American Independent Party".

Here in Nevada we also have the "none of the above"on the ballot as well but the problem with that is the one with the most votes still gets in even if "none of the above" wins. It would be nice if they had to bring in new candiates to run but it doesn't work that way.

Sadly what John Kerry said has a grain of truth to it, it seems the one's going in to the service are our youngest and brightest high school graduates....

Kathyet

I think Kerry was talking about GWB not learning and getting stuck in Iraq - not the soldiers

kathyet said:
Sadly what John Kerry said has a grain of truth to it, it seems the one's going in to the service are our youngest and brightest high school graduates....

Kathyet

John Kerry didn't say the brightest were going to Iraq. He said only the stupid go in the miltary.

lets-retire said:
John Kerry didn't say the brightest were going to Iraq. He said only the stupid go in the miltary.

Must be why he got stuck in Viet Nam.

lets-retire said:
John Kerry didn't say the brightest were going to Iraq. He said only the stupid go in the military.

First, please do not distort the true. Kerry implied the uneducated join the military vis-a-vie the educated. He did not say people in the military are stupid.

Second, It seems pretty clear to me that what Kerry was trying to say, and admittedly did not say well, is that the burden of military services is disproportionately falling in the poor and and poorly educated. Unfortunately for those who wish to attack Kerry, this is true. Obviously, there are well educated people in the military. However, on the balance, college graduates do not join the military, but rather take jobs in the private sector.

F-One said:
I think Kerry was talking about GWB not learning and getting stuck in Iraq - not the soldiers

Do you think that, or are you just repeating the damage control spin?

bbuzzard said:
First, please do not distort the true. Kerry implied the uneducated join the military vis-a-vie the educated. He did not say people in the military are stupid.

Second, It seems pretty clear to me that what Kerry was trying to say, and admittedly did not say well, is that the burden of military services is disproportionately falling in the poor and and poorly educated. Unfortunately for those who wish to attack Kerry, this is true. Obviously, there are well educated people in the military. However, on the balance, college graduates do not join the military, but rather take jobs in the private sector.

You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq.

Ok let's dissect this statement. In the first part do this and you can do well. Pretty straight forward. The second part: Don't make the most of your education, study hard, do your homework and try to be smart and you will be in Iraq. If I don't make the most of my education by learning doesn't that by default make me stupid? If I don't do my homework, I can't learn doesn't that by default make me stupid? If I don't study hard doesn't that by default make me stupid? If I don't try to be smart doesn't that by default make me stupid? Now if the information was never presented to me then I'd just be ignorant not stupid.

I've never met an officer who was not a college graduate. About 1/2 of the NCO's and Senior NCO's I met possessed at least a 4 year degree many had advanced degree's. This isn't your grandfather's military.

Patrick said:
Must be why he got stuck in Viet Nam.

I thought he volunteered for that and was an officer (read; usually means they have a college degree)

Azanon said:
I thought he volunteered for that and was an officer (read; usually means they have a college degree)

Yes, exactly my point. Which makes his whole statement, "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq," ridiculous.

Azanon said:

A really cynical person would say that perhaps he only went into the
service to further his political ambitions. Disclaimer: I am not saying this
is a fact, but expect some folks may be thinking it is.

JG

Mr._johngalt said:

JG

And anyone but a moron can see that Bush dragged the US into Iraq on false pretenses. Let's stick to what is importnat, hey?

Mr._johngalt said:

JG

That's a whole nother thread, JG..........

One I will be happy to post on someday.......... ;)

I think Kerry has always suffered (like many politicians, oddly) from a kind of a tin ear.

THe MSNBC clip doesn't show what comes before or after, but in viewing it, I got the impression he was making an allusion to Bush, not to today's troops.

It's Bush who isn't interested in studying hard or doing his homework, and thus has gotten "stuck".

Will look for a transcript or a longer clip to make sure, but that's just how I see it.. Kerry has long had a way of saying things 'too obliquely' and I think this time it surely got the better of him.

retire@40 said:
Do you think that, or are you just repeating the damage control spin?

So your bias is more correct then his?

brewer12345 said:
And anyone but a moron can see that Bush dragged the US into Iraq on false pretenses. Let's stick to what is importnat, hey?

Wait a minute, I thought only CONGRESS can declare war?

brewer12345 said:

Spelling is importnat.

JG

Leonidas said:
I'm completely confused by the Democrats' strategy. All I see is a general condemnation of everything the Republicans have done without offering any alternatives. There are plenty of things the current administration has done that I have problems with, but even if their plan is crappy - at least they have a plan. The Dems plan seems to consist solely of "it's time to change course."
I've heard Pelosi and a few other Dems talk about this. They have consciously chosen not to run on any issue except that Bush and his backers need to go. They believe that the Karl Rove attack machine that has been so effective (and often completely dishonest) for these past 6 years only works if it has a target to smear mud on. The only target they are allowing is Bush himself. How does Rove attack a Bush is a Loser campaign. They also believe that once in power they will be able to make changes that are viewed as positive. They believe the attack machine will not be effective against clearly positive change.

I'm not sure I believe they are right, but I do understand the strategy. Dems believe that there is one overriding problem in US politics today -- George W. Bush. Keep the message simple and on target. Neutralize that problem. In two years the message is likely to be just as simple and direct. Get rid of that problem. :-\

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20060825/ai_n16700113

Another troubling trend is the Army accepting a growing number of recruits who have some of the lowest scores on the Armed Forces Qualification Test. Category IV recruits are those who have scored below the 31st percentile on the test, or what is the lowest category the military can accept. Army officials say the branch will have enlisted 3,200 Category IV recruits by the end of next month, the end of the federal fiscal year. They now comprise about 4 percent of the recruiting class, compared to 1 percent or less throughout the 1990s.

Back
Top Bottom