If you make a deal, do you stand by it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, I wonder what's going on with "your" car? I agree that you should get the car you drove home or get your money back. If they want you to take the other car, I bet you can find something wrong with it.

Just to follow up
IMVHLO in most states the consumer "owns" the specific car on the facts as presented and has the ability to force the dealer to deliver the title for registration. There is no "mutual" mistake of fact. The consumer has "equitable" ownership rights which the court can enforce by securing legal ownership.
Ah yes, of pregnant cows and Rose the 2nd of Aberlone

This waiting for "the owner" to call is just a tactic. They have taken the initiative out of your hands, and can keep it until they decide what to do with you. The goal of a transactions oriented business is to grasp and never let go of the initiative.

IMO, you need to get the initiative back, right now. Don't you need to take a trip to see your dear old Mother? Didn't you buy a car when you did because you needed a full function, legally registered car right now?

Ha

I might return the car after grumbling about it and complaining that this is terrible customer service to not eat their own mistakes for something that probably represents less than 5% of the purchase price. But at least they did show *some* good faith with an offer to meet halfway.

But if they said I had to pay for the mileage I put on the car because of *their* mistake, I would scream bloody murder.

If not screaming bloody murder, at least tell them you will get your money's worth telling others you know to boycott their dealership :)

You may have read my post sometime back with my car battery experience. I'm still getting my money's worth on that. The expression on their face was priceless when I told them I'm gonna go and tell all my friends to don't use their service :LOL:

If not screaming bloody murder, at least tell them you will get your money's worth telling others you know to boycott their dealership :)

You may have read my post sometime back with my car battery experience. I'm still getting my money's worth on that. The expression on their face was priceless when I told them I'm gonna go and tell all my friends to don't use their service :LOL:

In addition to safety regulation I taught Consumer protection law for many years.
I used to send recalcitrant sellers copies of my course material (case studies of defaulting sellers). I would include a suggestion that they might make an even better example of unconscionable behavior. It was amazing how well it worked.

This waiting for "the owner" to call is just a tactic. They have taken the initiative out of your hands, and can keep it until they decide what to do with you. The goal of a transactions oriented business is to grasp and never let go of the initiative.
Ha

With all due respect, we don't know that. I am quite surprised at all the "advice" being doled out here. Just because someone bought a few cars in their life does not make them a legal expert on these matters..........;)

With all due respect, we don't know that. I am quite surprised at all the "advice" being doled out here. Just because someone bought a few cars in their life does not make them a legal expert on these matters..........;)
True, we don't know that, but we don't have to know it. Perhaps the "owner" is suffering from hemorrhoids and is too uncomfortable to call. But what business do you know about that doesn't have someone that can deal with a customer who is very inconvenienced, even when the owner is indisposed? It is pretty clear at the least that the OP has not made it to the top of the stack.

I know nothing about the law involved, only the psychology and I think it is clear that OP has lost control of the situation and also that this is not ideal.

I gave and give no legal advice, only advice is to attempt to re-seize the initiative. That can't be bad, IMO. Waiting for incoming is never optimal, if you have any other options and it appears that he does.

On rethinking, maybe it doesn't matter. Be interesting to see.

Ha

True, we don't know that, but we don't have to know it. Perhaps the "owner" is suffering from hemorrhoids and is too uncomfortable to call. But what business do you know about that doesn't have someone that can deal with a customer who is very inconvenienced, even when the owner is indisposed? It is pretty clear at the least that the OP has not made it to the top of the stack.

I know nothing about the law involved, only the psychology and I think it is clear that OP has lost control of the situation and also that this is not ideal.

I gave and give no legal advice, only advice is to attempt to re-seize the initiative. That can't be bad, IMO. Waiting for incoming is never optimal, if you have any other options and it appears that he does.

On rethinking, maybe it doesn't matter. Be interesting to see.

Ha

Well, with more info and all... I CAN see that the decision is going to the owner.. the new news is that the owner owns both dealerships..

So, right now I bet it is a blame game between the managers of each location... the one you bought from does NOT want to take the hit on their books, but wants the owner to tell the other manager he is taking it... so he will not agree unless he has to... if he agrees without the owner giving blessing, then he loses as the loss is already booked on his books...

I have seen some major ranting and raving on who is going to take a loss at mega... nobody wants it on their cost center if they can help it..... even if it IS their fault... we are talking bonuses here...

I talked with the owner and he acted like I was just delivered the wrong car. He felt that their offering for me to basically pay half the difference was doing their part. Lets just say I disagreed. He said lets wait one more day and think it over, so we could both cool off. I still have the car and one more day won't make a difference. If he doesn't agree to the original price, I would get my money and paperwork back.

I don't plan to sit by the phone and I have tee times everyday this week.

I fully expect to take this car back and pay a thousand more to another dealer than I can buy it from them. But I'm kinda pissed.

I talked with the owner and he acted like I was just delivered the wrong car. He felt that their offering for me to basically pay half the difference was doing their part. Lets just say I disagreed. He said lets wait one more day and think it over, so we could both cool off. I still have the car and one more day won't make a difference. If he doesn't agree to the original price, I would get my money and paperwork back.

I don't plan to sit by the phone and I have tee times everyday this week.

I fully expect to take this car back and pay a thousand more to another dealer than I can buy it from them. But I'm kinda pissed.

Consider just cooling off, hearing him out when he phones, and then negotiating your best deal. It may be as little as $500 or $750. The guy needs to save face. If you are pissed, no need to buy another car from him, but if this is your best deal at least think about taking it.

When I would get into a macho standoff about something my Dad would say, "well that sounds like fun, but you are taking your eye off the ball".

In every situation there is a ball, remember where it is and don't lose sight of it.

Ha

If its a new car, call the manufacturer's regional representative
NB if they take the car back it may be unlawful for them to sell it as a new car, which gives you even more leverage.
You test drove the car . Any claim that they "delivered" the wrong car is simply crap and the owner should know better .

Looks like a lot of us has had wrong VIN number situations. The pattern maked be believe this isn't the exception but perhaps a tactic used in car selling. Most consumers wouldn't think to check the VIN. You'd think that is something the car dealer should check and check again, but apparently they don't.

After all the years I was in the car biz I've never heard of something so stupid to think dealers have the time to play these stupid games. Now, are there a lot of dummies in the car biz, you got me there.

One of my salespeople said it best. Car sales is what you do when you fail at everything else. :whistle:

If its a new car, call the manufacturer's regional representative
NB if they take the car back it may be unlawful for them to sell it as a new car, which gives you even more leverage.
You test drove the car . Any claim that they "delivered" the wrong car is simply crap and the owner should know better .

After spending most of my life in the car biz, just remember one thing.

"There's an A$$ for every seat"

The dealer will not get stuck with the car!

I think you have to ask yourself if $1000 or whatever you can negotiate is worth the principle.

I think you have to ask yourself if $1000 or whatever you can negotiate is worth the principle.

It is now, I don't think tommorow will change anything. Also when I buy a new car I would rather deal with the same place I bought it for warranty work, ect . I just don't feel good about dealing with them if they want the car back.

I retired in OCT of 2007 and have seen my portfolio fluctuate well in the six figure range. $1000 really doesn't mean that much. But I would remember the deal for years.

After all the years I was in the car biz I've never heard of something so stupid to think dealers have the time to play these stupid games. Now, are there a lot of dummies in the car biz, you got me there.

I used to buy cars for members of my family. several times car salesmen tried the "the manager wouldn't go for the price" scam. I always answered "that just cost you another $500 for the insult to my intelligence" I always got the car with the $500 off.

It is now, I don't think tommorow will change anything. Also when I buy a new car I would rather deal with the same place I bought it for warranty work, ect . I just don't feel good about dealing with them if they want the car back.

Having been away a few days, I was new to this thread and had to read it from top to bottom......

I'm confused about one issue. The paperwork you have in hand, which car does it refer to? Which car did you sign for and now hold paperwork for? Regardless of which car you demo'd or which car they delivered to you, which car is identified as the purchased car on the paperwork that you signed and now hold?

Having been away a few days, I was new to this thread and had to read it from top to bottom......

I'm confused about one issue. The paperwork you have in hand, which car does it refer to? Which car did you sign for and now hold paperwork for? Regardless of which car you demo'd or which car they delivered to you, which car is identified as the purchased car on the paperwork that you signed and now hold?

The paperwork that I have is for a car I never saw or knew existed. I was told they had only one and they drove it over from their other dealership. I thought I bought that car the same day. When I was looking over the paperwork to check the vin is when I discovered it didn't match the car that I drove home. I notified the dealer to make sure I received the correct paperwork to take to the DMV.

The paperwork that I have is for a car I never saw or knew existed. I was told they had only one and they drove it over from their other dealership. I thought I bought that car the same day. When I was looking over the paperwork to check the vin is when I discovered it didn't match the car that I drove home. I notified the dealer to make sure I received the correct paperwork to take to the DMV.

When I buy a car I try to very methodical and check everything, as I know I not in a consumer friendly environment. These people are pros at coming out on top. One very well informed poster said (more or less) do not expect the dealer to lose. Why is that ? Because everything is stacked in their favor. It would almost be worth giving up driving just to avoid this. The customer can lose, or sometimes, draw. He isn't going to win no matter what they say.

Ha

DM, I would say that if you haven't heard from the dealer by now they will just send you the correct paperwork in the mail and that will be that.

One very well informed poster said (more or less) do not expect the dealer to lose. Why is that ? Because everything is stacked in their favor. It would almost be worth giving up driving just to avoid this.
I don't understand why you would be willing to give up driving to avoid having a car dealer make a few bucks on you in a car deal. Sounds draconian to me.

Car listed for $34K, you paid a little over $30K. Should have been listed at $36K and you would have paid $32K. They will "lose money" if they sell it to you for a little over $30K. I havent bought a new car in a long time, but I suspect if they "lose money" on this, it wont be a lot.

In any case, I was jerked around by a car dealer when I bough my first car - when I showed up to pick it up, I was told they "made a mistake", the car was really more, but they would be willing to "only take $1000 more". I was 21 and stupid at the time. I would never put up with that today. There is little I want bad enough to be scammed like that. With the economy the way it is, they should be a little more more concerned about customer satisfaction.

But ultimately it depends on how much you really want the car. Do what you makes you happy. And in the meantime, take lots of long trips.......:)

Ha, you may not believe this but there is a manager behind the dark window. Sales people often work on what's known in the business as flats. In other words the salesperson gets $50 to $100 for the sale. The salesperson doesn't care what you buy the car for so the dealer needs a manager to control the pricing.

You guys would also be surprised how many customers are trying to run their own little scams against the dealer. I won't get into it here but trust me it's not all the dealers pulling the scams.

I don't understand why you would be willing to give up driving to avoid having a car dealer make a few bucks on you in a car deal. Sounds draconian to me.

Well, I did say almost.

Still, I believe that people sometimes do give up things when annoyances mount up, unless they have a strong need for the product or service that is involved. So far my need for a car trumps the collection of anoyances that a car involves, but it is getting closer to a draw.

Ha

You guys would also be surprised how many customers are trying to run their own little scams against the dealer.

Pray tell. Don't get me wrong; I am not sarcastic. Lacking street smart, I like to hear stories like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom