illegal immigration - What should be done?.........

youbet said:
How does "doing nothing" regarding unfettered illegal immigration help this situation?

Next time you have a cold try standing on your head. It probably won't help, but it's at least better than 'doing nothing'.

”I’ve introduced a bill that mimics, just totally mirrors Mexico’s immigration policy,” Linder said. “If you were to slip over the [Mexican] border and get caught, you’d be in jail the next day. You’d be a felon. And you’d have to buy your way out of jail to America
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/sh...2006/05/07/linder_lets_take_our_cue_from.html

Congressman John Linder, Georgia,  and Maricopa County (Arizona)Sheriff Joe Arpaio seem to be the only two with courage to step up. 

poboy said:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/sh...2006/05/07/linder_lets_take_our_cue_from.html

Congressman John Linder, Georgia, and Maricopa County (Arizona)Sheriff Joe Arpaio seem to be the only two with courage to step up.

That's hardly courage! - That is just the way the politcial wind is blowing. If immigration is the number one anger issue, then introduce a bill that says "throw them in jail". - Doesn't solve anything except to buoy the congressmans popularity.

It works, because you fell for it!

Actually, Arpaio is throwing them in jail for being here illegally. 

poboy said:
Actually, Arpaio is throwing them in jail for being here illegally. 
Don't believe it for a minute. Arpaio is an opportunistic publicity hound. He'll spend weeks making tough statements in front of cameras and 29 cents on actually doing anything. He's constantly running for the next election. :-[

Don't believe it for a minute.

The Associated Press reported this past week that Maricopa County's sheriff has directed deputies and members of his 3,000-member unpaid reserve posse to patrol the southern reaches of the county and round up illegals.

As of Wednesday night, the team had put more than 100 suspected illegals in jail under a state smuggling law that went into effect this past August.

http://prescottdailycourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=36&SubSectionID=73&ArticleID=39659&TM=35463

poboy said:
Keep watching past the initial press releases. The southern edge of Maricopa county is over 100 miles from the US-Mexico boarder. Arpaio is grandstanding like he always does. Read the press reports carefully. Over 3000 posse members rounded up 100 suspected illegals. How many were released immediately? How many will get to court? How many will be found guilty? Joe won't get in front of the camera and tell you these statistics. Although Joe's posse is a bunch of volunteer police wantabes, they drive county vehicles, check out county equipment, and waste county court resources with bad arrests and Joe's nonsense. :) :D :D :D :)

C'mon Boys , mount Up, we gonna catch us some Wet backs, yahoo.

Wait, better stop at Mc Donalds first, we might get hungry.

CFB, that is no way to talk about Minnesotans , the ones I have met are very friendly people.

These yahoos who are playing Cowboys, what protection do they have if they kill or injure a migrant, can they be sued??

Lorne Greene and Glen Ford were Canadians, but you already knew that. :D

Yep, another couple of people who came to the US, got rich and famous, and then stayed here.

The land of opportunity!

Actually I was referring to a "Daily Show" skit which is not on their web site yet, where the yahoo "minutemen" are starting to watch the canadian border, considering inflows from there a greater threat to the US than mexican immigrants.

When it shows up, i'll post a link to it. Fairly funny.

I thought a Minuteman was someone who double parked in front of a whore house?

Jack Kent Cooke, Mary Pickford, Walt Disney Senior, Larry Walker.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Also moved to the US, made their fortunes, and remained here.
Why limit ourselves to Canadians? What about people who could have lived in Canada even more easily than choosing to live in the U.S.?

Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger...

A lot of statistics have been introduced on this thread, and several good logical points have been made. The question's a sticky one, no doubt about it, and I certainly don't know what the answer is. Unless someone out there is an illegal immigrant though, we've not heard from the group with the biggest stake in all of this.

Not that it will change any minds, but here's what they all risk, and what 500 or so of them experienced this year alone. Not for the squeamish...

In 1906, W.J. McGee published an account of the experiences of Pablo Valencia, a forty-year-old sailor-turned-prospector, who survived almost seven days in the Arizona desert without water....

Saliva becomes thick and foul-tasting; the tongue clings irritatingly to the teeth and the roof of the mouth .... A lump seems to form in the throat ... severe pain is felt in the head and neck. The face feels full due to the shrinking of the skin. Hearing is affected, and many people begin to hallucinate... [then come] the agonies of a mouth that has ceased to generate saliva. The tongue hardens into what McGee describes as "a senseless weight, swinging on the still-soft root and striking foreignly against the teeth." Speech becomes impossible, although sufferers have been known to moan and bellow.

Next is the "blood sweats" phase, involving "a progressive mummification of the initially living body." The tongue swells to such proportions that it squeezes past the jaws. The eyelids crack and the eyeballs begin to weep tears of blood. The throat is so swollen that breathing becomes difficult, creating an incongruous yet terrifying
sense of drowning.

Finally ... there is living death, the state into which Pablo Valencia had entered when McGee discovered him on a desert trail, crawling on his hands and knees: "His lips had disappeared as if amputated, leaving low edges of blackened tissue; his teeth and gums projected like those of a skinned animal, but the flesh was black and dry as a hank of jerky; his nose was withered and shrunken to half its length, and the nostril-lining showing black; his eyes were set in a winkless stare, with surrounding skin so contracted as to expose the conjunctiva, itself as black as the gums...; his skin [had] generally turned a ghastly purplish yet ashen gray, with great livid blotches and streaks; his lower legs and feet ... were torn and scratched by contact with thorns and sharp rocks, yet even the freshest cuts were so many scratches in dry leather, without trace of blood" (Philbrick, 126-128).

You murdered John, Keith and Mick live offshore, Paul still lives in England and Toronto, according to the Stones, is their favourite city outside of the UK.

Most of their music is recorded here, they start many tours here, they gave a FREE concert during SARS.

Shanai Twain however, lives in Switzerland.

I was watching Monday Night Football; Howard Cosell told me about the Lennon shooting.  That's my alibi.

Heck, Illegals are risking lives and limbs to get here.  We must have something.  Wonder if they'd just keep going North, all the way to Canada?  It's better in Canada, than here, right? :D Mebbe that's the answer to "What should be done?" Just start some freedom rides, Greyhound buses, to say Vancouver. Would Canada accept illegals, just barging in, wily-nilly?

HFWR said:
I buried Paul...  8)
Think Keith lives in Connecticut...
Paul owns real estate in Hawaii, too, but most people would've just said "Gee, interesting point, Nords" and moved on with their lives instead of activating their wrinkled rock-star tracking systems.

Or looking up the spelling of "Shania".

As our bass player used to say...

"I've just got three things to say: 'Sha-ni-a'"

My mailbox is being flooded with mail concerning gas
prices and illegal immigrants.   Exhortations to
boycott oil companies or not.  Plea's to provide
amnesty to illegal immigrants or not, etc., etc.,
etc.!!!

Since I have become jaded to the various solutions
proposed by the Republicans, Democrats, Sierra Club,
ACLU, etc.  I have elected to solve the problems as
they affect me.  It solves both my gas and illegal
immigrant problems....

I have hired illegal immigrants to push my car.
They're plentiful and cheaper than buying gas!

I have hired illegal immigrants to push my car.
They're plentiful and cheaper than buying gas!
:LOL:

But are they better for the environment (i.e. lower in greenhouse gas emissions?) :eek:

I look at it this way......

All the things most people don't want to share with mexicans, I don't want to be paying for in the first place. I feel like most of the population is the kid with the huge allowance and someone is asking them to share that allowance. In reality, the kid is old enough to make their own damn money and quit mooching off me.

I live in Apple Country, without the Mexican and Jamaican Workers, who are brought in legally, the crop would rot.

Locals will not do the work.

Back
Top Bottom