Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Which documents go through iTunes?

Do you mean MobileMe, which is an optional online storage service?

You should be able to run iTunes to sync devices without any Internet connection. Then it can't phone home.

Now on the PC, iTunes is a dog and some companies have written their own software to support syncing on iPods but I don't know if those products are still around or being updated.
I don't have any Apple devices at all right now. I use my Blackberry Tour for an MP3 player and we don't have AT&T cell service where I live so no iPhone. My interest would be internet and the ability to carry other files without the bulk and short battery life of a laptop. So, unless there is a capability I don't know about the only way to get files from my laptop to an iPad would have to be through an internet upload/download since there is no USB on the iPad. I will freely admit my knowledge of Apple products is extremely limited and I could be mistaken about that. If I am please let me know. I really like the idea of the iPad, just don't know if it would be worth it to me. I would also like to be able to use an iPhone but, as I said, no AT&T service.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I don't have any Apple devices at all right now. I use my Blackberry for an MP3 player and we don't have AT&T cell service where I live so no iPhone. My interest would be internet and the ability to carry other files without the bulk and short battery life of a laptop. So, unless there is a capability I don't know about the only way to get files from my laptop to an iPad would have to be through an internet upload/download since there is no USB on the iPad. I will freely admit my knowledge of Apple products is extremely limited and I could be mistaken about that. If I am please let me know. I really like the idea of the iPad, just don't know if it would be worth it to me.
Well, there is a USB connection - just a different kind of connector on the iPad.

You don't need a USB connector on the iPad, because the iPad connects to your computer USB connector via its docking cable, just like my iPod Touch does. My iPod Touch does not have a USB connector, but I have a cable that has the iPod Touch dock interface on one end and a USB connector on the other. You don't go through the internet.

Now, you might have to go through iTunes to sync files to/from your computer to your iPad - I don't know about that.

I just looked at the tech specs - and one of the things that comes included with the iPad is the "Dock Connector to USB Cable". That's how you sync. Same as always.

Audrey

Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I have not kept up on iTunes. I had downloaded it when it first came out for the PC. I didn't like the DRM and had other software that did the job just as well so I uninstalled it and have pretty much ignored it since then. If it is DRM free that makes a big difference.
iTunes has *always* been DRM free. Many people get confused as they don't get the difference between the iTunes Music Program, and the iTunes Music Store (ITMS):

1) iTunes (the music player program that runs on your computer) has always been DRM free. You can load your own CDs or mp3 files into it, play them, make playlists, and all that stuff. No issues. It supports a pretty wide range of formats, as do iPods.

2) The iTunes MUSIC STORE originally sold music that had DRM. Apple only did this because the record labels demanded it. When there was talk of suits against Apple, Jobs wrote an open letter explaining this, and calling on the record labels to drop the DRM requirement (most of them did).

I'm not sure what you mean when you talk of your files going through a server? The music resides on your computer, and you choose which to have on your device at any time - they are just files, back them up in any way you see fit. I've transferred some of mine over to my Linux music player (RhythmBox) - they are just files.

-ERD50
Old 04-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #244
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ive been trying my son in law's. I'm in large a technogeek family. Personally I only own 3 computers so I'm the deprived one in the family. I love the map function, but the touch keyboard is a little frustrating. Its heavier than you think and seems to approach the weight of the small Acer.

Ill keep playing
Old 04-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, there is a USB connection - just a different kind of connector on the iPad.

You don't need a USB connector on the iPad, because the iPad connects to your computer USB connector via its docking cable, just like my iPod Touch does. My iPod Touch does not have a USB connector, but I have a cable that has the iPod Touch dock interface on one end and a USB connector on the other. You don't go through the internet.

Now, you might have to go through iTunes to sync files to/from your computer to your iPad - I don't know about that.

Audrey
Excellent, as I said I am not up on Apple devices. With the info you supplied I will now seriously consider an iPad. In fact, I am headed for the nearest large town tomorrow and will see if Best Buy or Team Electronics has one I can look over.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #246
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Now on the PC, iTunes is a dog and some companies have written their own software to support syncing on iPods but I don't know if those products are still around or being updated.
I'm not sure I understand this. I have iTunes on my PC and use it to transfer music, photos, etc., to my iPod Touch. It works fine, no 3rd party applications needed.

Doesn't go through any server at Apple, it's all local.

Peter
Old 04-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Excellent, as I said I am not up on Apple devices. With the info you supplied I will now seriously consider an iPad. In, fact I am headed for the nearest large town tomorrow and will see if Best Buy or Team Electronics has one I can look over.
Maybe this will help too: Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

Audrey
Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thanks, I see the options I would want will add a bit to the price but not too badly.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #249

I just looked on the Best Buy web page and it looks like living in an isolated area strikes again. The nearest Best Buy Apple store is 150 miles away; too far to drive just to look at an iPad.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #250
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I would also like to be able to use an iPhone but, as I said, no AT&T service.
Same here with no AT&T coverage. I never could understand why Apple chose AT&T -- coverage sucks compared to Verizon (once you get out of large cities). For that reason alone I have not even considered an iphone or ipad.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Same here with no AT&T coverage. I never could understand why Apple chose AT&T -- coverage sucks compared to Verizon (once you get out of large cities). For that reason alone I have not even considered an iphone or ipad.
Yeah, I like the way they show their coverage map on TV. However if you go to their web page my area is shown as covered by AT&T partners. Then the fine print states that if you get too much of your service from partners your account will be canceled.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
I never could understand why Apple chose AT&T --
It is simple - because AT&T was the only one that would offer it on Apple's terms.

Typically, the carrier would dictate much of the design and user interface to the manufacturer. Apple was telling them "you guys suck, we want to do it different. We want to offer obvious things like visual voice mail and you guys have had your heads in the sand for too long to even realize that your customers want this feature", etc, etc.

Verizon and Sprint said take a hike. AT&T didn't. And here we are.

For those considering an iPad or iPod Touch - don't forget that it can be used w/o any contract at all, as long as you are in free wi-fi range, or just using it locally. You can download apps at home over wi-fi, and use them anywhere (if the app itself does not require connectivity). DW has an iPod Touch, she loves it, and we have no contract with nobody on it. Wouldn't bother us a bit if we were in an AT&T dead zone.

-ERD50
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #253

Ah yes but the rumour on the internet is that there is going to be a CDMA iPhone for Verizon later this year. So for all you people who are worried about AT&T coverage, your problem might be solved.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
iPad mania
Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #254

iPad mania

The sales numbers are shocking (at least to me).
Apple Inc, trying to revive demand for tablet-style computers with its iPad, said it sold more than 300,000 of the devices on the first day of their debut weekend.

Users downloaded more than 1 million iPad applications from Apple’s site and bought more than 250,000 electronic books from its online store during the first day.
Apple Says It Sold More Than 300,000 IPads First Day (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

AAPL up 0.86% as I write.

Boy, did I call this one wrong. I figured sales would be good, but that the market was expecting nothing short of a tsunami. Well...
splash, glug. Burble.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #255

Yeah, I thought they would do well, but I didn't expect 300k on the first day.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Some analysts have been claiming 700,000 iPads sold - which is amazing since it is the US only, AND not the 3G version!

Apple, however, will only admit to "more than 300,000" sold. They like to keep their mouths closed about actual sales numbers until they give the quarterly earnings numbers. That's in about 2 weeks.

Audrey
Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Yeah, I thought they would do well, but I didn't expect 300k on the first day.
Which would mean that one out of every thousand men, woman and children in the US have one on the first day they were available. It should have been a census question

That just seems incredible. I probably said this a few pages back, but I do look at the iPad as a bit of a niche product. It is essentially a large iPod Touch - good in some ways like the large screen, but bad in some ways as it is now too big to just put in your pocket. And at that size, it does less than many netbooks.

Not to say it doesn't fit the needs very well for many people, but those are drawbacks for some. So those numbers are astounding to me.

-ERD50
Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Based on my facebook friends' status updates, 2 out of 150 or so bought an ipad on opening day. Or 13 out of 1000. Of course these friends are mostly 20- and 30- somethings, well educated and upwardly mobile (plenty of extra cash to burn and/or high credit card limits).

Here's one post:

"Dear Apple, this is really awesome. Even though facebook hasnt released a proper App for it."
posted from my i-phone

Interesting that both friends are iphone and macbook users, and apparently LOVE apple products. Guess it takes that to pony up $500+ for an ipad. Most PC/Windows users are accustomed to seeing advertisements for $200-300 netbooks and $300-400 desktops and laptops.

Personally, i'll wait for a year or two to consider any products in this category. Our 1 year old netbook does way more than the ipad and suits our family's needs very well currently. Here's to hoping Dell or HP or HTC/Google or someone can make an ipad knock off that retails for $200 (on sale) and has 5-10x the storage capacity and can do more stuff. And has a USB connection or 3. Oh yeah and a 10 hour battery life! Thanks, signed One Demanding Consumer.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #259

I figured if it was a niche product, it is a pretty big one
I carry my laptop around to my 'gaming' group. That is history as soon as the 3G model comes out.
I am planning on getting a digital reader, that will be the iPad.
I also like surfing the web whenever I find myself with some wait time (doctor office, just taking a break, car in shop, etc). If it was planned, I used my laptop, if not, I used by Iphone. Now, I will be using my iPad all the time.
Maps in the car, iPad.
Reading Magazines, iPad.
Classifieds (either newspaper, Craigslist or other), iPad.

Now, I know it won't fit everyone as well as it does me, but it certainly seems to be a large enough market to work with.
Final results of course won't be in for a few quarters. Heck, perhaps all 300k buyers were all developers and no one will be using it
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Personally, i'll wait for a year or two to consider any products in this category. Our 1 year old netbook does way more than the ipad and suits our family's needs very well currently. Here's to hoping Dell or HP or HTC/Google or someone can make an ipad knock off that retails for $200 (on sale) and has 5-10x the storage capacity and can do more stuff. And has a USB connection or 3. Oh yeah and a 10 hour battery life! Thanks, signed One Demanding Consumer.
Ummm, it HAS a 10 hour battery life.
However, it sounds like you want a netbook, which you already have. So I don't see why you would want the iPad to be turned into something you already have.