iPad

It just looks ergonomically HORRIBLE to hold that thing or use it for extended periods of time for most purposes that involve looking at the screen. ...

It is actually surprising nice to use for long periods of time:)

I had a few when I first turned it on. I did a 'hard reboot' and most of the issues disappeared.
Then I read up on what apple has posted about it. It SEEMS that people with a dual wireless router that runs two networks, one 2.4Ghz and one 5Ghz are having some issues.
They recommend making sure each network has a different name and something else I can't remember.
Changing the name of my second network seems to have eliminated the last 5% of the issues for me.

Thanks to you and Dangermouse for your responses regarding the wifi bugs. Well I am typing this on my [-]DW's[/-] brand new iPad! Woohoo! My router is a dual band wireless router and so far no problems at all. The wifi signal seems strong and stable throughout the house. Hopefully it will continue. I had concerns about the ergonomics and usability of the keyboard too, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far. I can type as fast on this keyboard as I can on my desktop computer's keyboard actually! I have been reading a few newspapers on it and all I can say is "wow"!

Just read that Steve Jobs said they have sold 450,000 iPads, 600,000 electronic books have been downloaded and 3.5 million applications loaded since the product went on sale last Saturday. Wonder how many they will have to sell for it to be considered a commercial success?

Also talks about the upcoming improvements to the next release of the iPhone with the introduction of multitasking.

Apple iPhone gets multi-tasking | News.com.au

Hey that's great about the ergonomics and keyboard. Just the things I was wondering about.

Audrey

Oh wow! Now I know that Apple has 2.5 year olds in their user interface testing lab!

Amazing - she really knows how to use it!

Audrey

P.S. Daddy must have trained her on the iPod Touch!

He did, the iPhone actually so she knew the basics. But I still love the fact that she could use it so easily.
It really is a very elegant interface.

What I love about the iPad/iPod/iPhone, is how intuitive the interface is. No big manual to read. Just get your hands on it and start exploring.

Should not have young children near cell phones.

That may also apply to the iPad with the 3G modem when that comes out.

Went to the local Apple store on Saturday and it was actually heaving with people hovering around the iPads. Think they have a hit on their hands for sure.

Have to agree it is very intuitive and whereas previously I was thinking we would buy a laptop that is now out the window as iPad does everything we need it to do.

Went to the local Apple store on Saturday and it was actually heaving with people hovering around the iPads. Think they have a hit on their hands for sure.

Same here, heaving is a good word, every time I go by two stores. Of course, we both live in Ground Zeros for techies.

I picked up an iPad on day 1, grabbed the Apple case a few days later. I hope to eventually replace all functions that I previously accomplished with my MacBook. Those areas where an app is unavailable I plan on transitioning to the Mac Mini. So far, so good.

I stopped in the Apple Store today to pick up an accessory as a gift. Started playing with the iPad.

WOW.

I already was amazed with the iPod Touch, but I underestimated the difference that the big screen makes. The gestures, and using the keypad just flow. It felt so good, so natural, so responsive.

I also wondered about how you would hold this thing and use it. I still wonder - in the store they very cleverly have these sitting on a little angled oval of soft, grippy rubber. So it is at a good angle and it doesn't shift around as you gesture and type. I picked it up to read, but I'm pretty sure I put it down to type - now what would I do at home? Maybe it isn't a problem at all, I'd need more time with it to tell.

But WOW, just WOW.

What I really want is a touchpad that size and capability to replace/augment my keyboard on my desktop. At your desk, you don't want to reach up to the screen. A really good touchpad would be wonderful I think.

-ERD50

ERD50,

How do you hold this thing... For typing, I set it on my lap or a tabletop and type away (you can buy the Apple case which props up the iPad at the perfect angle when resting on a flat surface). Just like a laptop, typing on it with one hand while moving around is possible but a bit awkward. For reading, I just hold it with two hands. Or if I am reclining on a couch or on a bed, I just rest it on my stomach, hold it with one hand and use the other hand to navigate. But I think that some kind of case with a rubber coating is a must because the brushed aluminum case is quite slippery and it makes holding the iPad with one hand perilous (IMO) especially over long periods of time.

Thanks FD, I didn't look around for the cases, but that makes sense that you need something like that to help hold it. This thing is way cool.

-ERD50

We tried to buy the Apple case on the weekend but they were all sold out. Personally I feel the case is essential from an ergonomics standpoint or you may end up with a stiff neck.

The future of publishing?
That is what I am REALLY looking forward to. Animated books!

And textbooks! I salivate at the possibilities for a biology etextbook.

And my field guides! I would LOVE to have my field guides on a iPad. Not just the bird ID reference, but the fact that the bird songs could now be included and played in the field.

Some folks already have bird guides and checklists on their iPod Touch/iPhone. I'm not sure there is a fully integrated animated bird eguidebook yet though.

Oh! The possibilities!

Audrey

This young lady has the ergonomics worked out....
Wow - y'all!

This 2.5 year old had me so impressed that on Sunday I sent the video along to my Dad and my two brothers who each have iPhones.

Well, my youngest brother called me that evening to tell me he is going to be a Dad! I asked him - was it that 2.5 year-old using the iPad video?

This is the first grandchild on my side of the family. My poor Dad had to wait until 80 to have his first grandchild. I, who helped Mom raise my brothers, have decided that I'm old enough to be Grandma. My mother passed away 15 years ago, and I have played the matriarch role on and off as needed over the years - I think I'll take this one on!

And I think I'll buy the kid an iPad when he/she is 2.5 years old!

Audrey

After playing with the iPad for the past week, I think that this device does a few things very, very well:

Internet surfing: a huge step up from the iPhone, due mostly to the larger screen and faster processor, almost as good as a full-size computer IMO, but much more interactive and tactile...

e-Reading: amazing, amazing, amazing... I have downloaded newspapers, books and magazines and the iPad shines in that area like no other device I have ever tried. My favorite newspaper gets downloaded directly to the iPad and it's like reading the actual paper without the ink stains. Magazines are even better, the pictures are vivid, crisp and gorgeous (even better than print). And even though I don't read that many e-books, the iPad is a great e-reader.

Media-rich content:
Pictures and movies look incredible on the iPad. It takes media-rich apps to the next level.

Games:
wow! The iphone was already a pretty cool gaming platform, but it's nothing compared to the iPad. It's a very tactile experience and, with the larger screen and I think better audio, it's like you are in the game.

Well - I just about can't wait to get mine! The wait for 3G is killing me!!!!

DH just ordered a new Mac powerbook. FINALLY! He's been waiting for the latest Intel chip and had to wait 109 days longer than usual for the upgrade. His current machine is 5 years old! And I got pretty tired of him complaining about machine performance.

I guess Apple's been really busy with the iPad. They've also delayed international release of the iPad because the US demand has been so high.

Audrey

Probably not the best thing to have tots or even young teenagers near electronic devices, especially cell phones.

Back
Top Bottom