iPad

Do iPads presently have any support for PDF's? The above quote from the article makes it sound like they don't (a pretty shocking omission IMO if true, but I find that hard to believe).
Yes, you can view them now, but it's not that straightforward and has not been satisfactory to me. This solves the problem for me.

I just think they released the product before all functionality was fully available. A judgement call on their part. As soon as I started using the product it was obvious that there were a few holes that would be filled quickly.

Audrey

True. Amazon's selection is much better. However, I buy from the iBook store whenever I can because I prefer the iBook reader - search and dictionary features. Or are these also on the Kindle and I am just overlooking them?

You ask for it and Amazon delivers. The new release for the iPad's Kindle app now features search. The next release will feature dictionary.

Edit: search is only available for iPhone right now. It will become available for the iPad with the next release.

You ask for it and Amazon delivers. The new release for the iPad's Kindle app now features search. The next release will feature dictionary.

That's great! With over 600,000 Kindle books available through Amazon, then you should have plenty to peruse while Apple is building up the iBook store.

I use the search function a lot, plus I really like the bookmarking function so that I can find interesting passages again. I especially appreciated having the dictionary function when reading Les Miserables, to help me with some of the very old language that included words that are no longer used.

So is it holding up after a couple of months?

For me it is holding up great!
I love the potability.
A use I didn't consider is using it to get nutrition info on restaurant foods while out.
Seems Apple is now selling 1.2 million a month. I guess they found a pretty big 'niche' for their product;)
I also look forward to the competing products hitting the market.

Apple sales have held up well throughout the "Great Recession."

Now, consumer spending is suppose to be better, even if we haven't had the explosive job growth that everyone has hoped for.

I love my iPad. The functionality is amazing.

Now that I got the case (talk about $$$) I feel really secure carrying it around in public, and it easily tucks under my arm. Very useful for driving somewhere (GPS routing), shopping, showing the salesperson the web-page for the item you're looking for, etc.

But I really, really, really need a camera. When I am in a store, I want to be able to take pictures of things I might buy the in the future - tags, etc.

Someone I know has Red Laser - that app that reads a barcode and then tells you who has the item and for what price. I want that!

And I wish I could watch TV on it - just off-air, but HDTV. Need some kind of receiver for that.

So - I'm sure I'll be upgrading before too long. Anyway - gadgets like this resell reasonably well on eBay.

Audrey

I think the iPad is still great. I use it more and more (as new apps come out). I just installed the Netflix app on it and it is nice to be able to stream movies to it. But I have to admit, now that the iPad has become my main computing device, I wish Steve Jobs would eat some humble pie and allow support for Flash. I know he thinks he can do better (given the derogatory comments he made about Adobe), but it would be nice if it could happen in this lifetime (people have requested Flash support for 3+ years now).

But I have to admit, I wish Steve Jobs would eat some humble pie and allow support for Flash. I know he thinks he can do better (given the derogatory comments he made about Adobe), but it would be nice if it could happen in this lifetime (people have requested Flash support for 3+ years now).

There are some good reasons to kill Adobe Flash. True, iPhone/iPod/iPad users are out-of-luck trying to access many pages that rely on Flash (a mistake on the web designers part, IMO), but unless someone stands up to them, it won't go away.

Adobe Flash is proprietary, and Apple is dependent on Adobe to build the reader for OSX and the phone/iPod version of the OS. So far, Adobe has done a lousy job of it, and performance is not good. Once we move to open standards like we should, this isn't an issue. Everyone can build the tools they need and the best implementers (and their customers) win. HTML5 looks to be the answer.

Considering the demographic of the iPhone/iPad/iPod-Touch users, and the amount of traffic they generate, I'm surprised any website has any Flash on it at all today. Some even use it for the entire content of their home page - you can't even navigate anywhere on their site within w/o a Flash capable device.

-ERD50

How many sites are you running into where you can't view content?

Supposedly many sites are setting up HTML5 versions when it detects iPhone/iPad visitors.

Or just creating apps. through which you can view video.

The main thing that Flash has now is DRM, so that people can't copy the videos from these sites. Beyond that, it's nothing.

BTW, Adobe has been promising Flash optimized for the ARM chip for years and they still haven't released it beyond a beta that few are testing. Supposedly second half of this year, Android will get it. Then we'll see if they delivered or it kills the batteries of these portable devices.

Flash is awful on my regular laptop. If I have a page open with flash, it uses up 100% of the CPU even if the page is not doing anything! That really heats up the laptop.

Audrey

Flash is awful on my regular laptop. If I have a page open with flash, it uses up 100% of the CPU even if the page is not doing anything! That really heats up the laptop.

Audrey

The answer to your dilemma (assuming you are running FireFox):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

Flashblock 1.5.13

Flashblock is an extension for the Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape browsers that takes a pessimistic approach to dealing with Macromedia Flash content on a webpage and blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content.

It's a beautiful thing.

And I'll add, people should be expressing their angst (and emailing them) at the web sites that carry proprietary content, not at Mr Jobs - they are the problem.

-ERD50

And I'll add, people should be expressing their angst (and emailing them) at the web sites that carry proprietary content, not at Mr Jobs - they are the problem.

-ERD50

I see. The user is always wrong and Steve Jobs is always right.
Fine. Then I'll stop posting on Apple-related threads.

I see. The user is always wrong and Steve Jobs is always right.
Fine. Then I'll stop posting on Apple-related threads.

I didn't say Jobs is always right. I could start a thread a mile long about the things that I think are wrong in Apple products today. Some of them are so obviously stupid, they never should have got out the door to begin with, they should not need 'fixing'.

But I think he is right in this case. Any content that we need to transfer should be based on open standards. I think that is universally true. I don't care who says it. It's still true. True is true, funny thing about truth.

-ERD50

ClickToFlash is also a good plugin for Safari and other browsers.

It won't load Flash by default but if you do want to view Flash content, you just click on the Flash object you want on the page.

It is really wonderful. Use it a lot. It has sort of ended up as a household device even though I intend it to be. My son and daughter will borrow it to read books (Kindle), watch videos (netflix), listen to music (Pandora) or play games (scrabble).

It is one of those devices that really does change what you do. Certain videos and web surfing that I would do on computer I know sit in a comfortable recliner and use the iPad. It is also very handy when out and about if you need to look up something on the internet.

It would be nice for it to have a camera.

I have yet to experience much (any) difficulty in going to the webpages I want to go to and seeing the content I want to see. I'm sure I'll run into something where lack of flash will be an issue but hasn't been so far. I think there was only one page I went to where I couldn't view something.

Here I am using my iPad!

That's me leaning against the back wall in our covered parking area, surfing the web while some guys are cutting our new carpet for install. :D

100621_MG_08856.jpg

Audrey

Showing off for the beefcake construction workers?

Back
Top Bottom