iPad

I am pleased with the new iPad, nothing new that I need so I will still be thrilled with my iPad2!
  • Retina Display/HD (iPad2 is fabulous enough),
  • 4G LTE (mine's only Wi-Fi),
  • 5MP camera (clumsy camera form factor anyway) &
  • iLife/iWork (nope).
  • Bigger/heavier (?)
  • Better battery life (iPad2 is fine)
SIRI would have been fun, but that temptation didn't make this update.:blush:

If you want to watch HD movies, you could get an AppleTV (the new one was announced yesterday too) and then stream the movies to it so that it gets displayed on an HDTV.

Or, get a Blu-Ray player.

I should have added in my comments on the Fire above:

We plan to use it for as a fairly cheap, very mobile ebook (Rick Steve's tour book, perhaps a city map) and for some limited internet WiFi use in Europe. I think we can get some ebooks from the library for that trip. I'm not in love with spending on ebooks at home and will probably just read those old paper library books. DW will also probably buy a Kindle Touch for her ebook needs on plane trips.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread on the iPad but if I'm wrong on the Fire usage model, let me know.

You are not wrong . I bought the Kindle Fire and use it all the time .For travelling it's the perfect tool . I load it with books and still able to surf the Internet and use my Apps. This is one purchase I haven't regretted for a minute . Best $199 I have spent .

I just received my new Trident Kraken heavy duty case for my (sadly) cracked iPad2. I managed to carry my iPad all over Peru and in my regular life for nearly a year, then accidentally dropped my purse with it in it a week ago, cracking the screen.

Word to the wise: even the most careful among us can get slippery fingers. Get yourself one of these cases and put it on the dang thing! The repair (which I won't be getting) for the screen is $300+ at the Apple store.

From Amazon, the Kraken case was $30. And it will keep the screen covered and so I can keep using it without tiny glass splinters going everywhere. Only wish I'd bought it before I cracked it!

I can't imagine why anyone would download a movie over a 4G network. Just wait until you have a wi-fi connection. With the new hi-res display, remember that 16GB on the older iPads won't go as far on the new iPad so I would get the 32GB as a minimum.

I ordered the 64GB version in white, with AT&T capability. It's my first iPad (belated Christmas pressie) and I expect to have it for a few years. Who knows how big 64GB will feel in 2-3 years, particularly with the HD video recording. Of course, seeing as we are book authors and our publisher wants us to do interactive ebooks, the new iPad is also tax deductible... ;)

I am pleased with the new iPad, nothing new that I need so I will still be thrilled with my iPad2!
  • iLife/iWork (nope).
  • Bigger/heavier (?)

Although the iPad2 is DW's, I think your observations about the features is spot on.

• iLife/iWork (nope).
  • Bigger/heavier (?)
Although the iPad2 is DW's, I think your observations about the features is spot on.

+2 And in my case, I am not interested in Siri. I am glad that I didn't wait for the iPad3.

I heard on the today show that they do have SIRI on it. I don't have any tablet so I may get one with just WIFI the next time I receive some money from my parents's estate. They still have a couple of accounts to close out. We've saved nearly everything else I've received, so maybe one splurge wouldn't be out of line.

Yes, I just looked it up on my IPhone. It had voice dictation, but you can't ask questions or schedule reminders, etc.

I bought my IPad a year ago, and I am already behind 2 model years already. I use mine everyday and love it. have no need to upgrade as it does everything I want and battery is still very strong. I bought the 16 GB and still have over 11 GB left. If I had to do it all over again, I would have got the 3g network option as I travel frequently. When the battery starts to slow down, I will consider another one and get the network option version.

I bought my IPad a year ago, and I am already behind 2 model years already. I use mine everyday and love it. have no need to upgrade as it does everything I want and battery is still very strong. I bought the 16 GB and still have over 11 GB left. If I had to do it all over again, I would have got the 3g network option as I travel frequently. When the battery starts to slow down, I will consider another one and get the network option version.

I have the 16GB version too, and it is way more than enough for me. I am only using 2.7 GB so far. Some people do download a lot of video or store lots of photos on it, so maybe they might need more storage than I do. The wi-fi version fits my lifestyle better than yours, I suspect. Unlike you I don't travel much if at all. I have no desire to lug it around town with me, and besides, in many ways my iPhone 4 (which is always with me) is a small, portable version of the iPad. Since I only use it in my easy chair at home, I am not really worried about breakage and I can plug it in while I am using it if the battery gets low.

No SIRI, the Today Show corrected themselves later per DW...

When I got my iPhone 4S a few months ago I thought Siri was the coolest thing ever. That said...a few months later I rarely use it. It is nice but just not essential...

I have an iPad 1 that I got when the iPad first came out and use it frequently mostly to read book and occasionally watch videos and do a little web surfing. I don't really plan to replace it though until its battery dies.

Yes and no... apparently it can be replaced, if you send it back to Apple, but it isn't a very easy thing to do otherwise.

Apple Details iPad's Battery Replacement Plan | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Wow - $107 plus tax for a new battery, and they wipe all your data off of it? I would be :mad: I just spent about that much on a new fully loaded android tablet (battery included of course!), so if the battery ever dies I can just trash the whole device and buy a brand new one for the price of an apple battery replacement...

With the "battery replacement plan", they don't actually replace the battery. They replace the whole device (I used the plan for my iPhone 3G and got a brand new phone). That's why you lose the data on the device. But no worry, you can restore your data from backup.

Last edited:
........I ordered the 64GB version in white, with AT&T capability. It's my first iPad (belated Christmas pressie) and I expect to have it for a few years. Who knows how big 64GB will feel in 2-3 years, particularly with the HD video recording.......
+1

I've been debating whether or not to breakdown and buy an iPAD or not. I've been pretty satisfied with my iPhone for the last 2 years, but it's screen is just too small for some things and that annoys me. So this evening I finally took the leap, and ordered a 64GB version in black setup for AT&T from Apple's online store. I went with the 64 GB because I have 30-something GB on my iPhone and it's about full! So I decided that I'd better super-size it on the iPAD. I have a few thousands songs and about 5,000 photos on the iPhone, and I know that I'll have even more on the iPAD. Supposed to be delivered on the 16th....key phrase there is "supposed to be". :LOL:

Ehhhh...just what I need....another new toy! :facepalm:

So this evening I finally took the leap, and ordered a 64GB version in black setup for AT&T from Apple's online store.

I ordered the same but with Verizon 4G. My iPhone is with AT&T, so I figured I'd edge my bets and go with Verizon on the iPad.

I ordered the same but with Verizon 4G. My iPhone is with AT&T, so I figured I'd edge my bets and go with Verizon on the iPad.

I pondered going with Verizon, but after talking with friends that have or had it in our area, I opted for AT&T. Verizon has poor coverage in our locale, and since most of my usage is local, I didn't think I wanted to chance it.......especially at $829!

Wow - $107 plus tax for a new battery, and they wipe all your data off of it? I would be :mad: I just spent about that much on a new fully loaded android tablet...

Which tablet? I'm keeping an eye on iPad alternatives, would like to know which ones seem promising.

-ERD50

With the "battery replacement plan", they don't actually replace the battery. They replace the whole device (I used the plan for my iPhone 3G and got a brand new phone). That's why you lose the data on the device. But no worry, you can restore your data from backup.
My daughter's had to do this "replacement" with two iPhone 3GSs.

The process works, but it's tedious & time-consuming. Lots of finger-pointing between Apple & AT&T on the iPhone, too, although that shouldn't be a problem with an iPad.

Which tablet? I'm keeping an eye on iPad alternatives, would like to know which ones seem promising.

-ERD50

Momo8 Business Edition from Ployer

McBub: Low-Priced Ployer MOMO8, USD 149.99, Ployer MOMO8 Business Edition Tablet PC - 8 inch 8GB Android 4.0 1.5GHz Capacitive 2160P HD 3D Movie (CN109156)

I bought from here, although price is higher now. Other places have it closer to $130.

Apparently Ployer brand is a reasonably well known Chinese manufacturer.

I didn't really research it much, and just bought it based on 1 guy's youtube video reviews because I needed to get it here and set up for my daughter's B-day, so definitely do your own due diligence on this. I am sure I could have gotten more for less had I shopped around, but $145ish for a tablet, case, and extra media cables was good enough for me. Direct ship from Shenzen China 2 day air IIRC.

I like the 8" screen size - more compact and portable than ipad but way bigger than any phone. I played with the tablet a lot while setting it up and installing games and apps for DD, but prefer the netbook by far for surfing and typing. I don't know what ipads have, but this one has an HDMI output so you can watch 1080p movies, netflix, youtube, etc on your big screen or play angry birds on a 50" (lol). This fills the exact need we have of going to a beach house rental or hotel and not having an easily portable media player to watch HD content on demand for free. And it has a microSD card slot, so if I want to turn it into a 32 GB device, I pop in a $25 microsd card. Otherwise it is roughly like an ipad from my limited experience with both devices. Ipad screen does look better - viewing angle on Momo8 is a little weird - seems like it looks better from one orientation than another. Runs android market/PLAY of course, so tons of free high quality apps and great google integration (calendar, mail, maps, etc). Battery is similar to ipad - 8ish hrs without wifi, 5-6 with per the specs although I seemed to get 4 hrs with wifi and battery still around 40% so ymmv.

I have only used an ipad1 for probably 1-2 hrs total, and was unimpressed. I mean it looked great, interface was simple (like android), just slow and laggy when web surfing. Pages didn't render well occasionally. Since I never managed to get sucked into Itunes, but instead use all things google, the android platform makes everything easy for me. I also like being able to customize the OS and install new OS roms if I want to experiment (or as new versions come out). If I did itunes, I imagine ipad would be a more competitive choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom