Larry Hagman

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just read in the news that Larry Hagman died. Another TV icon gone (like Andy Griffith) this year.

My first thought of him is Major Nelson of "I Dream of Jeanie", even before Dallas.

Just read in the news that Larry Hagman died. Another TV icon gone (like Andy Griffith) this year.
"J.R. Ewing" is trending #1 on Twitter right now, and "Larry Hagman" is barely hanging in the top ten. I wonder if the hashtag #Jeanie will even make the top 100.

An event trending on Twitter is good for the event, but it seems that people trending on Twitter is generally bad for them.

J.R. was the #1 villain in the 80's. Hagman played the role well. Dallas did a remake of the show earlier this year. Not sure if it is still on. I watched it once, but the show wasn't the same. Although Hagman looked old, I didn't see him dying anytime soon. But I see where he had been battling throat cancer recently.

Obg, you've pointed out numerous times you weren't born in the US and the fact that many things in our popular culture aren't familiar to you. Why would we think it remarkable you hadn't seen a singe episode of Dallas?

I know "Dallas" was a more popular show, but I really didn't watch it much.

I grew up "I Dream of Jeanie" as that was one of the shows in the comdey line-up on TV I'd watch after school. How can one forget that episode of when Jeanie accidently makes Tony really small, and he has to hide from the housecat? :D

Obgyn, Dallas ran from 1978 to 1991, I'm pretty sure in the 10:00 EST time slot. It wasn't exactly a family show. You were probably sleeping or doing homework wherever you lived while that was on (I know my kids were, who I think are just a few years younger than you, and who would have been bored to death with it anyway. Although DH and I enjoyed it).

Last edited:
I almost never missed a show when it was on. (Have them all on DVD's now) JR (Hagman) made the show.

DW and I used to have Dallas watch parties with our neighbors back in the early 80s. Very sorry to see Larry pass, we enjoyed him immensely.

I don't mean to imply that it is remarkable. I would not watch a re-run either.

However, over thanksgiving I stayed home and I have tried to immerse myself more in the US popular culture by watching "Divorce Court" , "Judge Judy" and the "Maury show". Also watched some football as I am learning the rules. As you can see, I am trying to make some progress. :)

REWahoo said:
Obg, you've pointed out numerous times you weren't born in the US and the fact that many things in our popular culture aren't familiar to you. Why would we think it remarkable you hadn't seen a singe episode of Dallas?

Last edited:

However, over thanksgiving I stayed home and I have tried to immerse myself more in the US popular culture by watching "Divorce Court" , "Judge Judy" and the "Maury show". Also watched some football as I am learning the rules. As you can see, I am trying to make some progress. :)

Football is good, the rest :nonono:.

Those are part of the culture you could leave off...

To better understand this crowd, I might suggest the following TV shows. Well, these are some of my old favorites anyway!

- Andy Griffith Show
- Mary Tyler Moore Show
- Sonny and Cher Variety Hour
- Leave it to Beaver
- All in the Family
- Happy Days
- The Honeymooners
- Taxi
- Sienfeld
- WKRP in Cincinnati
- Cheers

To better understand this crowd, I might suggest the following TV shows. Well, these are some of my old favorites anyway!

- Andy Griffith Show
- Mary Tyler Moore Show
- Leave it to Beaver
- All in the Family
- Happy Days
- The Honeymooners
- Taxi
- Sienfeld
- WKRP in Cincinnati
- Cheers

I'd throw in Star Trek and The Beverly Hillbillies... :cool:

Obgyn, Dallas ran from 1978 to 1991, I'm pretty sure in the 10:00 EST time slot. It wasn't exactly a family show. You were probably sleeping or doing homework wherever you lived while that was on (I know my kids were, who I think are just a few years younger than you, and who would have been bored to death with it anyway. Although DH and I enjoyed it).

Growing up in an upper-middle class single TV household, I was forced to watch Dallas with my parents when I was bored. Although, having spent a bit of time w/ my grandparents, you could say that my interests and maturity level weren't like my peers. As such, I appreciated some of the shows, and remember the big hooplah over "who shot JR", and the various other cliff-hangers they introduced.

As others have suggested, you're going from one extreme (keeping clean from the mind-numbing idiocy on the airwaves) to the other extreme (jumping into the deep end). :) Just promise that you'll sample some other quality shows before immediately writing us off as a completely hopeless nation....there is a shred of hope left!

- Andy Griffith Show
- Mary Tyler Moore Show
- Leave it to Beaver
- All in the Family
- Happy Days
- The Honeymooners
- Taxi
- Sienfeld
- WKRP in Cincinnati
- Cheers

I watched many of the Dallas episodes - always loves how devious JR was. Watched most of the shows Purron lists also.
I remember watching "Lost in Space" as a kid. Man I wanted that robot real bad......Danger, Danger Will Robertson!! Just shoot Mr. Smith already.

No Twinkies and no Dallas for me. Now, Jeannie was a different story entirely.

I enjoyed him most in I Dream of Jeannie.

Dallas was hugely popular in Europe. When my brother visited with his Austrian girlfriend, the first question her parents asked was "So who shot JR?"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom