More Love from (to) Honda

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
On another thread I mentioned that DW's 2017 Honda CR-V is among the vehicles that are getting gasoline into the oil.
Some of Honda's original tap dancing:
That's because you don't drive the car long enough distances to properly warm it up. Uh...no...we live 15 miles from the nearest town, and 90% of our driving is to and from a town 50 miles away.

It's only a problem in cold-weather environment.
Uh...like Texas and Louisiana ??

You shouldn't use the remote car starter to let the car warm up before you drive.

Uh...OK, but you did include it as a feature for which we paid money, right? Remember that??

OK...well...we have a fix, which is some sort of computer pack that causes the motor to run less efficiently than what was originally advertised....Uh...well...OK I guess since it's better than completely trashing the engine...

So we did it, and 3,000 miles later....guess what? Oil is black, smells like gasoline, and the level is, once again, above the dipstick.

So DW took it in today.. Not sure how she made out on that point, but I did get a call from her to tell me that the service guy said there was a lot of wear on the tire and well, we should replace them...Really? at 17K miles? We need new tires? That doesn't seem right.

Service manager's explanation: Well, the original tires are really designed just for comfort, not for durability. Oh...I see, so when I test drive it I'll say "Oh..this rides nice",,,but when I but real tires on it I'll say "uhhh....where did my nice riding SUV go?"

Guess who is never buying another Honda.

On another thread I mentioned that DW's 2017 Honda CR-V is among the vehicles that are getting gasoline into the oil.
That's because you don't drive the car long enough distances to properly warm it up. Uh...no...we live 15 miles from the nearest town, and 90% of our driving is to and from a town 50 miles away.

You shouldn't use the remote car starter to let the car warm up before you drive.

Uh...OK, but you did include it as a feature for which we paid money, right? Remember that??

OK...well...we have a fix, which is some sort of computer pack that causes the motor to run less efficiently than what was originally advertised....Uh...well...OK I guess since it's better than completely trashing the engine...

So we did it, and 3,000 miles later....guess what? Oil is black, smells like gasoline, and the level is, once again, above the dipstick.

So DW took it in today.. Not sure how she made out on that point, but I did get a call from her to tell me that the service guy said there was a lot of wear on the tire and well, we should replace them...Really? at 17K miles? We need new tires? That doesn't seem right.

Service manager's explanation: Well, the original tires are really designed just for comfort, not for durability. Oh...I see, so when I test drive it I'll say "Oh..this rides nice",,,but when I but real tires on it I'll say "uhhh....where did my nice riding SUV go?"

I think I would choose another dealer to take the car to. And, I would be much more concerned about the gasoline in the oil than wear on tires.

I would not replace tires at the dealer.
I have heard many times, that women will be sold all sorts of fake repair needs, because many women are not interested in the mechanics of the car and many car repair places take advantage of people who don't know better.

They've tried it on me before too, and I'm not even cute ;)

I would not replace tires at the dealer.
I have heard many times, that women will be sold all sorts of fake repair needs, because many women are not interested in the mechanics of the car and many car repair places take advantage of people who don't know better.

That's simply not true! When I was in HS and working at a gas station and that carload of girls in bikini's pulled in, we didn't even charge them to change the air in their tires!:D

WOW!! What a terrible experience! IIRC, Moemg was not happy with her CRV either.

I would be livid if I went in for a serious repeat problem that they've been unable to fix, and on top of that they tried selling me (probably) unnecessary extras. I know that's the new game with car dealer repair shops, to try to get you in for extra stuff, and that's bad enough, but to do it when they are already showing their incompetence is unforgivable. I would tell them I'm HadEnuff!

We have had 2 Honda Civics, but no more. For us, it was not the cars but the dealers both up North and here in FLA.
I felt they were both rip off joints and I challenged them (with logic) a few times and got them to reverse one charge.
So when it came time for a new compact SUV (due to the totaled Civic) the Honda SUV was not even in the running.

We have a many decades old relationship with a family run tire shop. She ran it over there and they confirmed that the tires were not great. I don't run on bad tires. I can afford good tires. But I am not giving that money to Honda. We'll get quality tires from the folks we have come to trust for generations. I'm not going to get the 80K Michelins, because I have my doubts that I'll keep this car long enough for that.
I wish I'd leased.

I wish I'd leased.
Your advantage is that you could sell anytime, if you've really HadEnuff (sorry to double up on that, but I was going to use it without even thinking of your handle).

I wouldn’t have taken the fix reducing efficiency without compensation. That’s why VW has to do the buy outs.

My experience has been new car tires are not great. Better off safety and ride wise to get something better. I wouldn’t go for 80k miles - probably has very poor grip

We have had zero repairs on our 2010 Honda Accord. We bought into the tires for life program so the tires are free. Sounds like you have a lemon.

My local Honda dealer has always been the weak link and until recently my 30 year history of Honda vehicles had been great but their problems with transmissions on the Odyssey and their poor Infotainement system was the end for me. I also found that I was becoming less fond of the styling of their sedans.

Honda and other auto manufacturers don't like admitting there is a specific problem because they don't want to open a can of worms. Let me say that the Honda CR-V is a fantastic.vehicle, but just about every other Mid-size SUV in the market is a great vehicle.

Honda's 1.5 liter engines often "make oil". The piston rings sometimes don't get properly worn at break in and gasoline under pressure of.The turbocharger is pushed past the rings into the crankcase. The engines.also run a little cool. It is a vehicle owners should have ESP if they intend to keep the car long term. Or just lease the vehicle and then turn it in at lease end and don't worry about the engine.

All Honda automobiles are having tire wear problems--a product of factory alignment settings for handling/steering. The rear wheels cannot be set flat on the ground without replacing the top swing arms with adjustable swing arms. I just got rid of my second Civic SI that ate tires alive. In fairness, my Lexus also has ultra high performance low profile tires that do well to make 25k miles on tires.

I finally have given up on vehicles with low profile tires. My Explorer made 65k miles on original tires:-good. My Camry would have made 40k miles.had I not shredded a tire last week.

The other problem with Honda's are with brakes. They just don't last long. We have the special tools for Honda brakes, and they are easy to replace. The parts are also cheap at Rock Auto.

But after 100 new cars, I have switched over to brands of cars that have lower incidences of repairs. Our Camry Hybrid has not seen a shop in its first 21 months in service.

Last edited:
All Honda automobiles are having tire wear problems--a product of factory alignment settings for handling/steering. The rear wheels cannot be set flat on the ground without replacing the top swing arms with adjustable swing arms. I just got rid of my second Civic SI that ate tires alive.

The other problem with Honda's are with brakes. They just don't last long.

I got the summer tires new with the SI and those wore out in about 13k miles. Getting some decent performance tires from Costco (~$600/set) last about 40k miles. But that depends on how frequently you peel out/aggressively corner.

Brakes have no issues and aren’t close to replacement in 50k miles - if you are going through brakes and tires quickly - that is a result of how you drive, not the car.

I bought my first Accord in 1983. We have owned them on and off since then. Until the latest one (2017), all of them had to have early replacement of brakes. Tires not so much, because they always came with fairly hard rubber Michelins. Batteries were another problem. Never got more than 36,000 miles/three years out of Honda batteries.

Overall, the Camrys have been better cars. The last two generations have felt cheap, however, and I went with Honda instead. I HATE the current Camry. It's claustrophobic. The transmission on the one I test drove was jerky, and I read they have issues.

The 2013 Corolla, the former cheap daily driver, runs like a top at 6.5 years of age. Fuel economy is not great, lower than the Honda with the bigger engine. Thinking we will keep that one and the Accord for at least a few more years.

The Lexus? The paint on the sun shield over the hatch is oxidizing. The paint on metal is soft and scratches easily. Mechanically it's fine, so that one will stick around as well. However, I will never buy another one. The premium price is not justified.

We are set for cars for several years. Maybe until electric cars become the only choice for new.

2004 Honda Accord was our last Honda. What a POS. Poor quality components throughout. Was a worshiper of Honda before that. Now, honda is not even on our list of considerations. Boring styling too.

I had a lemon CRV . The air conditioning went at 35,000 miles and paint started coming off in clumps . Honda would do nothing .Plus I hated to go to the service center as they were always coming up with bogus repairs and seemed to target older women .I traded that car in for a Toyota Rav4 and could not be happier .One Honda was enough !

I have a 2012 Honda Fit which I got a few years back from Carmax.

Besides the airbag recalls, car has been quite reliable. That said, I'm not a fan of going to dealers for service.

Sounds like we have been luckier with ours than some of you. We also have a 2008 Toyota Corolla with no repairs. That has 53k/miles and our Honda 76k so envision that we will have them another 10-15 years.

Wow. A friend of mine was just posting on Facebook about her new Honda Civic. I hope she has better luck than what I’m seeing here. She is not mechanically inclined and the purchase was a stretch for her and she won’t be able to pay for a ton of repairs (tires in 13K miles - are you kidding?). Unfortunately, she’s grinding out a living and probably shouldn’t have bought this car, but she really needed to replace her car and she’s so proud right now that I’ll stay out of the conversation.

Last edited:
Jerry, hopefully she bought tires for life. We have had a lot of free tires.

Back
Top Bottom