Musicians you never saw in concert

We saw the Eagles with full band intact at MSG. The show was fantastic with them playing all their hits. However the resale tickets we bought were crazy priced.

I was a penniless student when the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" tour came to Los Angeles. Renting a room from a senior citizen's condo, I sighed when I saw the TV announcement of the upcoming concert. The elderly landlady said to me, "The Eagles? Do you want tickets? I can get them for you." When I told her the concert sold out the day they went on sale, she picked up the phone and said, "Irving? Hi, it's me E...., (chit, chat), I have a young lady here who would like to see the Eagles in Los Angeles." "How many tickets?" she asks me. "He asks if you would also like backstage passes. And he's including VIP parking passes." They arrived in the mail a week later.

Turned out she was personal friends with the band's manager. I thought I was dreaming . . .

I was a penniless student when the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" tour came to Los Angeles. Renting a room from a senior citizen's condo, I sighed when I saw the TV announcement of the upcoming concert. The elderly landlady said to me, "The Eagles? Do you want tickets? I can get them for you." When I told her the concert sold out the day they went on sale, she picked up the phone and said, "Irving? Hi, it's me E...., (chit, chat), I have a young lady here who would like to see the Eagles in Los Angeles." "How many tickets?" she asks me. "He asks if you would also like backstage passes. And he's including VIP parking passes." They arrived in the mail a week later.

Turned out she was personal friends with the band's manager. I thought I was dreaming . . .

Wow! What a dream situation. Sometimes it's the people you know that makes all the difference.

OK, I give up! All the musicians you mention are fairly recent.
When I was in college, I went to the Brooklyn Paramount in 1958 to see the Alan Freed's rock and roll show,
The artists I remember were
Fats Domino
Frankie Lyman
The Platters

Bill Haley
The Flamingos

OK, I give up! All the musicians you mention are fairly recent.
When I was in college, I went to the Brooklyn Paramount in 1958 to see the Alan Freed's rock and roll show,
The artists I remember were
Fats Domino
Frankie Lyman
The Platters

Bill Haley
The Flamingos

Was too young, but I would have liked to have seen Bill Haley and the Comets. My DM had “Rock Around the Clock” and “See You Later, Alligator” on 7”-45rpm vinyl.

Liked the rockabilly, boogie-woogie, and blues influences of the 1950s, but, for the most part, never cared for pop or doo-wop...

I just remembered sitting outside in the rain for Joe Cocker. Unbelievably good!

Same venue, different year, more rain: BB King.

We’re early boomers and were fortunate to enjoy a golden era when live performances were frequent, accessible and inexpensive. I couldn’t begin to list the all the artists we’ve enjoyed.

I’ve seen a number artists perform in the 70’s / 80’s and again in the last few years. Most of the shows are better now. A few were terrible.

If I had a time machine I’d go back for 2 performances - Cream and LED Zeppelin.

What a fantastic list. Congrats!

Other than dead folk, no one else on our bucket list. Dylan's waaaay past prime...Bob Seger was our last bucket list star and we saw him in Austin a few weeks ago...one of the best shows I've seen, even at his ripe old age.

We retired in 2014 and one of our favorite things since is to go to smaller venues to see our favorites... I keep a list on my Iphone..

Doobie Brothers
Don Felder
Jimmy Buffet
Elvis Costello
Steely Dan
Drive By Truckers
Alabama Shakes
Yes
Toto
Jerry Jeff Walker
Joe Bonamasa
Rolling Stones
Paul Simon
Gordon Lightfoot
Lyle Lovett
John Fogerty
Kris Kristofferson, BB King tribute, Bonnie Raitt (ACL Hall of Fame)
Heart
The Guess Who
Blood Sweat & Tears
Kenny Wayne Shepard/Stephen Stills
Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Tour
The Marshall Tucker Band
REO Speedwagon
Styx
Donald Fagen & The Nightflyers
Roger Mcguinn
Moody Blues
David Crosby
Little Big Town
Kacey Musgraves
Earth Wind and Fire
Steve Miller
Peter Frampton
Robert Plant
John Fogerty
Lucinda Williams
Boz Skaggs
Dave Mason
Steve Cropper
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Bob Seger

We've spent a ton on concerts, but it has been so worth it!

untitled (19).jpg Here is my first 100 starting in 1977. Stubs got rather uncollectable afterwards. (note Alice Cooper Halloween night!)

Coz

Last edited:
Some of these I wasn't old enough to see, others I didn't come to appreciate until after their prime:

Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Pink Floyd
Johnny Winter
Eagles
Stevie Ray Vaughan

My first date with my wife was a Merle Haggard concert in 1978, at the LSU Assembly Center in Baton Rouge. Fantastic show, but not the best concert venue. I had an opportunity to see him again at a somewhat smallish, more intimate venue in the Houston area about four years ago, but balked at the $300 it would have set me back for two tickets. Merle died about a year later. I now really regret not seizing that opportunity. Shoulda blown the dough (where’s Robbie when you need him?).

I would have like to see Jim Croce, Eric Clapton and Linda Rohnstat.
I’ve seen Billy Joel and he was excellent. Also saw Fleetwood Mac three times, Stevie Nicks solo twice, Rolling Stones once, CSNY once, CSN sans Y and they were awful. We saw Simon and Garfunkel during their reunion tour and the Everly Brothers stole the show. Jimmy Buffet was fun just watching others in the crowd. We saw him four times. Celtic Woman was pure amazing talent.

We watch quite a few concerts on Youtube, including oldie ones. If its a good recording and you have a good stereo system attached to your TV it really feels like you are there at the concert.

So I feel like I have seen several artists that I never actually saw live.

Two bands I regret never seeing were Deep Purple, and Eric Clapton.

I think it was 1973 my friends got tickets to see Deep Purple at the Music Hall in Boston. For some reason I didn't go and regret that.

Saw the Eagles in ‘79 or was it ‘80? The one band I’ve been to 4 or 5 shows for. Saw them this fall at AT&T park....with the ticket price and a SF hotel, I think that evening cost more than my honeymoon did 25+ years ago. I never spent much on concerts in the past but starting to make up for lost time. Saw Peter Frampton last spring and will be going to Mountain Winery this summer for Steely Dan, Jackson Browne and Boz Skaggs.

The inimitable Freddy Mercury w/ Queen. I listened back in the day but never appreciated the vocal range and ahead-of-their-time talent.

Never saw INXS. Was going to see them in Vegas, but was busy with life, so I passed. Not long after, Michael took his own life.

I think I would have liked to see Lowell George and Little Feat. Lowell George passed away before I began getting into the concert scene.

I

Back
Top Bottom