Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #41
gone traveling

I believe you can tell a lot about a person's character by his pets.

McCain:
2 dogs
1 cat
2 turtles
3 birds
1 ferret
13 fish

Obama:
No pets.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Fed if your wife was OCD you would know it. The mother of my daughter's childhood friend was the poster child for OCD. Before Kathy could go to sleep at night, every stitch of clothes that had been worn that day had to be washed, dried and put away. Then starting at the front door, she would vacuum the wall to wall all over the entire house and vacuum herself into bed. From her bed, she had a plastic rake that she would use to erase the footprints she made putting the vacuum away. Down in the basement, she had clean metal garbage cans that held, in order, ever single paper, every single book fair, pta notice, EVERYTHING that her kids brought home from school. I often wondered why her husband didn't insist she got some mental help. She was about a hundred pounds soaking wet from all the cleaning she did every day.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post

McCain:
2 dogs
1 cat
2 turtles
3 birds
1 ferret
13 fish

Obama:
No pets.

Godwin Ho! Hitler had a female German Sheperd given to him by Heinrich Himmler on Adolf Hitler's birthday and Hitler named the dog "Blondie".

Jesus had no pets.

Is there any conclusion to be drawn from these statements?

Edit: just remembered hearing about the lamb of God, so maybe i'm full of it.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Is there any conclusion to be drawn from these statements?
Probably...
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

McCain:
2 dogs
1 cat
2 turtles
3 birds
1 ferret
13 fish

Obama:
No pets.
Hey, I was planning on voting for McCain but now that you point out that admirable trait in Obama, I may consider holding my nose and switching!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Hey, I was planning on voting for McCain but now that you point out that admirable trait in Obama, I may consider holding my nose and switching!
You'll want to hold your nose if you are going to step in $#!+
Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
just remembered hearing about the lamb of God, so maybe i'm full of it.
Wasn't the lamb sacrificed?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #48

My vote is... get rid of the dog (find a nice home for him.)

My feeling is your wife never wanted the dog (or any pets that make a mess) in the first place since she sounds like the kind of person who wants her house neat and clean. If she did agree to get an indoor pet when you got the dog, she probably didn't know what she was getting into.

You wanted the dog and since you have no time to give him the care he needs and deserves, you really have no choice is the way I feel. I think it's better for the dog too to find someone who can and enjoys taking care of him. I really think your wife feels she is at the end of the rope.

Since you don't do much with the dog, why do you want to keep him?? Is your issue more to do with "she is home all the time and she doesn't work like I do, so what is she complaining about?" (After all, you said, your wife comes after kids, eating and showering, in that order.)

I hope it won't get to the point of "choose wife or dog". At least at this point, you say the dog comes after your wife in the order of importance.

As far as I am concerned, some people are not pet kind of people, at least not "indoor pet" people. Nothing is wrong with that. I have indoor cats myself and I deal with vomits and litter bits on carpet, etc, but that doesn't bother me at all (I am kind of a lazy slob by nature), but I know stuff like that would drive some people crazy. And usually people like that don't have pets. Dogs would be too much work for me myself. I don't have that kind of time or devotion right now.

Anyway, find a new home for your dog... do it for your wife, for your dog, and for your marriage.

tmm
Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #49

Quote:
One of our roommate's has two chihuahuas that he lets urinate and defecate all over his room (the smell will knock you out if you walk by when his door is open). He also thinks Bush is one of the best presidents of all time because "he's a good, Christian man" and would gladly vote for him a third time.

Make of that what you will.

Maybe ex-wives are a better judge of character.

How many pets do you have?

Or, maybe, just maybe, we'll have to judge people's character by their actions....
Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Let another family have your dog.

I believe your children are very very young--oldest one not in school yet and youngest is under 2? So we have to take them out of the dog decision making--they will not be affected and are too young to "learn" letting your dog go to another family would equate to "it's okay to abandon people." And it's not fair to the older to have to go pick up poop and be responsible for taking care of a dog--he's too little to be worrying about taking care of a dog.

The hardest time for us having dogs was when we also had small children. They were always "my" dogs and we never thought about giving them away, but I can understand how your wife is overwhelmed right now with the children alone and you not available 70 hours a week, and to have a "dirty" dog (shedding, skin problems, poop-rolling) demanding her time is probably driving her crazy.

You know, a lot of shelter groups wouldn't let you have a dog with children as young as yours (remember Ellen DeGeneres's situation last year when she gave her shelter dog to someone with kids under 13 or whatever and the shelter group made them give the dog back?). Another family at another stage of their lives will love your dog.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #51

Bestwiveever, just a clarification, that lady got a dog from a Rescue group, not a shelter, and Rescue groups usually have very clear rules that state a dog must be surrendered BACK to the group if you can't keep it. Our group has a contract (exactly like the one that Ellen DeGeneres signed) that states that rule clearly--a dog can only go to a home that has been approved prior to the placement.

I have placed many of my foster dogs in homes with kids, but given the choice, will always take a childless older couple to a younger couple with small kids or newly married folks.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #52

ok....here's some more info. I got the dog as a puppie while wife and I were separated 5 yrs ago. we had been together for 4 years prior. she was gone 6-8 months, and moved in at about 1 yr. The dog had been around almost a year when she moved in. Advantage - DOG! lol

Anyhow, the post reads like we really neglect her, which we dont. She gets petted daily and i horse around with her and my son (3) in the play room a few times/week. She runs around the house for 1/2 hr a day chasing our 2 indoor/outdoor cats....they all sleep together at night. The cats havent come up in this argument because they are so carefree and i bought them for her (twins) for her birthday 5 yrs ago.

My wife and I talked this through for about 5 hrs in the last few days, and here's the outcome:

We will be keeping the dog. I will be brushing her at least 3x/week. I will be taking her to the groomer about once every month. wife will feed and let out dog when im not around. we all will try to make more 'dog' time. i will be installing an invisible fence. right now, she stays in our yard (flanked by 400 acres of farmland) 90% of the time. The other 10% she chases our cat, loses her focus, and finds some nice horse crap to roll in...our yard is cleaned often of dog poo.

That's about it. she wanted to shave her but i heard shaving is not the best idea for a shepherd, so we settled on grooming and lots of brushing to keep the hair down

re: my relationship and communication....we actually communicated better last night than we have in years...we got some other issues worked out too...so that helped. we do not show or reflect tension whatsoever in front of the kids...not a bit....sure they can sense it, but its normal for there to be rough patches....not rosey 100% of the time

re:my schedule. i am aware that i am a very selfish person and my priorities are skewed at times. i am working at becoming a better, more well-centered person on a daily basis, through reading,self exploration, etc. im getting there, but have a long way to go. im pretty rough around the edges, but i know it and am working on it. i dont see that 15 more minutes out of my day to give her some attention will kill me. i believe it can be a good time for the kids as well.

im sure i missed a few points/questions...but that should about cover it.

thanks for all the input as always
Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 AM   #53

thefed, good for you.. I'm glad you're able to sort it out in a positive way. It takes some courage to face up to where you may be falling short.. keep up the good work!!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like a good plan.One quick question - how often does your wife walk the dog? It may be a good bonding experience for both her and the dog (plus good exercise for the dog). I love walking the dog in the evenings...I find it relaxes me and is great exercise for both of us. Plus, it gives me a break from our 2 yr old ;-) Your wife might need a break from the kids too!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Well if you have to keep the wife, sounds like a good plan.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Bestwiveever, just a clarification, that lady got a dog from a Rescue group, not a shelter, and Rescue groups usually have very clear rules that state a dog must be surrendered BACK to the group if you can't keep it. Our group has a contract (exactly like the one that Ellen DeGeneres signed) that states that rule clearly--a dog can only go to a home that has been approved prior to the placement.

I have placed many of my foster dogs in homes with kids, but given the choice, will always take a childless older couple to a younger couple with small kids or newly married folks.
Thanks, Sarah in SC--I didn't remember all the details about Ellen D.'s dog situation--I know all the rescue and shelter groups have the interests of only one "person" at heart , the animal and bless all of you!

Glad the puppy situation is being addressed, Fed! Sometimes the demand for action, like your wife's about the dog, is really about needing to discuss the situation. If your house is like mine was when there were two kids under 3 and two dogs, things get crazy at times but we wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Thefed - I'm very happy you worked it out. How about a picture of your dog sometime? You know how much many of us enjoy pet pictures
Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #58

calgary girl - never. i am the only one to walk her.

heres some pics i just snapped...she was groomed today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg momo1.jpg (553.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg momo2.jpg (655.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

what a good-looking sweetie!

ta,
mews
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #60

With a face like that, how could anyone even think about sending her packing?

Glad things have been worked out!!!