Join Early Retirement Today

New Laptop
Old 12-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Laptop

I'm looking into laptops - my 17" screen gigantasaurus is proving to be a bigger pain in my butt and I'm increasingly mobile - working out of the home (hip hip!) and may soon go back to school - which would require more mobility.

Also, Jr. will likely adopt the gigantasaurus.

Anyhoo - I'd love something with about a 14-15# screen, lite, efficient - has fast processing. I can use external memory, but most come with truck loads these days...I can store pics/video elsewhere. This would be more the workhorse.

I'm ok with Dell, hate HP or Compaq. Others I should consider?

Mostly to do office programs - word, excel, pdf, some lite graphics, powerpt etc.

Also - I'm behind on the next gen of processors - they've gotten quite diversified! I don't want the bottom, not sure I need the top - where's the best place to land with that one?

Finally - the vista thing?! I'm on all XP machines now and doing fine - Have a friend who bought a new top of the line w/ Vista for her kid and it is SLOW - is it work-around-able? or should I try to get one of the Dell business rehabs w/ XP? Or consider apple?

For my needs, what is a good price range? I have a month or so to ponder...thanks in advance!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CFB(?) put me onto a refurbished Dell laptop for DW for $399. It has had plenty of power/space and a nice screen. DellOutlet.com.

I'm not impressed with Vista.

-- Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Celeron 540 (1MB cache/1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB) Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
Unit Price: $399.00
Quantity: 1
-- Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Celeron 540 (1MB cache/1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB)

-- Certified Refurbished

-- Shipping Material

-- MEDIADIRECT 3.3 Software

-- MEDIA DIRECT 3.5

-- Dell 1395 802.11G Wireless Mini Card

-- Keyboard On Notebook

-- Service Software

-- AOL Software

-- Processor Label

-- Software

-- Software CD

-- Resource DVD

-- Dell Solution Center Software

-- Operating System Label

-- 56K DataFax Modem

-- Operating System DVD

-- Shipping Material

-- Blossom Pattern

-- MEDIADIRECT 3.3 Software

-- No Camera

-- 4 Cell Primary Battery

-- 15.4 WXGA Laptop Screen Display with TrueLife

-- Microsoft Works 9.0

-- Internal NIC

-- Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

-- 24X CD RW/DVD Combo Drive

-- Reference Guide

-- Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic

-- ISP Search Assist

-- Power Cord

-- Image Restore Software

-- Software

-- 80 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

-- Roxio Creator 10

-- 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)

-- 65W Adapter

-- Insp 1525 STD: 1 Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
Unit Price: $0.00
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $0.00

Subtotal: $399.00
IVA: --
Shipping and Handling: $19.99

Import Fee: --

Total: $457.37
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My laptop is an IBM circa 2002 and, though expensive when new, is way obsolete. However, it is good enough for Web surfing away from my desk. For hauling around for travel, its weight of near 6lbs (without accessories) is wearing me down. I must be getting old.

So, I have been looking for a replacement with a 13.3" screen, preferably around 4 lbs. These are PRICEY! For a 15" screen weighting around 5.5 to 6lbs, I have seen so many choices ($500 to $800), that it is difficult to make a choice.

Knowing that Vista is a CPU hog, many suppliers let you substitute XP for the same price, although some now charge extra for it!

For super light computing, there are now mini machines that have no internal spinning hard drives, only a smaller solid-state non-volatile memory, and with a 9" screen. They weight between 2 and 3 lbs, and super convenient for travel, though they lack a DVD drive. I am not sure what the weight will be, once you add an external USB DVD drive and its associated power pack.

I think I will stick with a 13-14" screen weighting between 4 and 5 lbs. I have time to wait, as our budget travel has been crimped.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #4

I got a netbook (as described by NW-Bound) for DW for about $400. Intel Atom 1.6 ghz, solid state drive, XP, Asus Eee PC-901. I liked it so much I wanted one as an alternative to carrying around my 17 inch Compaq, that I thought I liked and had just bought in June. It was just to big and heavy, but the keyboard on the 901 was a bit to small, making it difficult to type unless using just 2 fingers. Asus came out with the EeePC-1000HD a couple months ago, and it had a larger screen at 10 inches, and larger keyboard as well as a 120 gig HDD. I bought it for myself (typing on it now). It is great for email and web browsing...a tad slow compared the 2.2ghz dual core intel compaq 17 incher. There are now several models like this available. I would steer clear of the miniscule storage models (DW's is always telling her to delete unused files, after adding only antivirus/antispyware software). If you go with the solid state storage get the biggest you can find. The upside is that with the SS storage, bootup and software startup is very quick. I like mine wth the HDD, but if I could have found one the same size but with SS storage a bit bigger, I would have gotten that instead.

BTW - battery lasts about 6 hrs on either of the above models.

R
Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

i still view Vista as shrink wrapped betaware but i'm a new software snob. dh2b has fully gone over to the other side and loves it. i overlook that minor flaw.
seriously, i'm happy with XP because the HCI is familiar. i will eventually cross over when XP is no longer supported, which hopefully will be a long time.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a Dell Vostro (per CFB link a couple of months ago):

Vostro 1500, Intel core 2 duo, 2gb DDR2, 120 gb hard drive, 15.4" XGA, 8x dvd, $499 (total cost was $524 with tax and free shipping). I got XP rather than Vista. Went through FatWallet so got about $20 back. I like the laptop but the motherboard had to be replaced a couple of weeks ago.... relatively painless -- got it back in 4 days. I received the latest flyer from Dell yesterday, and the prices were very similar to what I paid.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #7

look for an intel core2duo processor, imho. you can get a nice deal by browsing slickdeals or fatwallet in the hot deals forum. right now, things are a bit dry...i suspect there will be some good deals by mid-january...but look daily....because when a good one hits they dont last long. i was able to buy a sweet laptop for a friend 2months ago that blows away all other black friday and dell outlet deals i've seen since

it was a lenovo thinkpad, core2duo 2.0 ghz, 4 gig ram, 250 gb hard drive, 256mb vid card, webcam, face recognition (fingerprints too i think?), dvd BURNER etc for $550 shipped

gotta get em when they're hot though...no time to lollygag
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 dual core 2g for $499 at best Buy . Dell is also having good sales on their site. It's lighter than my old Toshiba but still no lightweight .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I picked up an acer 14 inch, dual core processor, 2 gig of memory, and a 160 gig hard drive for 389 at office depot. I thought I wouldn't like it but it is a sweet little laptop, very light.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #10

I also currently own an Acer but wouldn't advise getting one if you want to get 5yrs out of it. Acer's pretty much bottom end when it comes to build quality, where Lenovo seems to be at the top.... search the net for reviews before pulling the trigger and make sure the laptop fits your needs...i wish i wouldve researched acer a bit more before i got this turd
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #11

Well, I took the plunge and went a different route - i got the asus eee pc 1000 - from am*zon.

I think I always end up falling on the extremes! Last time went humungo, this time - tiny.

I'm not completely sure I'll be completely happy with it - but I chose it because - It's crazy mobile, I can silp it into whatever bag I'm using when I'm at a mtg or conference all day. The little one can play internet games (pbs ok?!) or a dvd (if i get the portable dvd reader) and the battery life is insane!

Even if I don't like it 100%, I still have the gigantasaurus to hold me through and my workhorse desktop.

Will let you know how it goes!

BTW, did see some incredible deals at my local bestbuy (who i'd blown off from a previous digi camera purchase) on Dells w/ great processors, memory etc for about $500 or $600 - I was surprised since those prices aren't avail on the web for that build...just thought I'd mention it... So if I need a more serious machine, will go back there to look, maybe in another year or so...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'd go with a lenovo Thinkpad T series.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:13 AM   #13

Bright eyed - did you get the one with XP and a 160g HD? If so, its the same one I got ...'cept I got the JP version. Set me back about 500 (everything is high here)...how 'bout you?

R
Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #14

I have been using the Asus eeepc’s since they first came out. I bought the 700, then upgraded to the 900 series. For portability they are great. Running XP it is very stable and I push it pretty hard with multiple programs running. I do also travel with a 250 Gig portable HD for storage.

In fact I am writing this from our ocean view balcony in Puerto Escondido, Mexico as we are running around south eastern Mexico.

Billy
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 12-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #15

Mine's the 1000HA, has the 160gb HD and XP on it...

I used it last week at a conference and it was great. I can remote access my work computers to get access to word programs and the microsft works programs work fine for most light editing/work.

The keyboard is nearly full size on this one, with just one funky right shift key, but otherwise it was pretty much like using a regular pc. I just had it in my regular bag and barely remembered I had it with me!

I have to take a trip up north later this week, so I'm sure I'll be happy to have it with me for the airport, plane etc.

It's taking a little getting used to, but working well so far...I'm considering getting the external dvd player so I can use for long trips with the kids in the car - it's a two-fer! It was about $500 total (free shipping),
Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #16

Bright eyed,

With the internal HD what is the weight of the 1000? The shift key has been an issue from day one with these. I am surprised Asus hasn’t made improvements to it by now.
Still I have been very pleased with the weight, size and power it has.

On my way to the beach,
Billy
Old 12-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #17

It's about 5 lbs, which is similar to some of the 14 inch or so dell's i was also looking at - however I do have to say, i just tucked it into a bag with a bunch of holiday presents and it was very convenient to have the smaller size.

I wouldn't however, choose to use it as my main computer, so when i'm home, I'm still reaching for the gigantasauraus because of the display and keyboard...
Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
It's about 5 lbs, which is similar to some of the 14 inch or so dell's i was also looking at - however I do have to say, i just tucked it into a bag with a bunch of holiday presents and it was very convenient to have the smaller size.

I wouldn't however, choose to use it as my main computer, so when i'm home, I'm still reaching for the gigantasauraus because of the display and keyboard...
Mine's closer to 3#, also the 1000. DW's 901 with the flash drive is just a tad over 2#. But right now I'm typing on my 17" gigantaur that weighs closer to 10#.

R
Old 12-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #19

Thanks for answering the weight question. Besides the weight and built in HD is there any other differences between the 1000 and 901?

Sorry for the late reply but we have been traveling quite a bit and did not always have access.

Billy
Old 12-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #20

The 1000 has a 10.1 inch screen. 901 has an 8.9 incher. The keyboard on the 1000 is a bit closer to normal size...I'm two-fingering on the 901. The 901 boots a little faster from its flash drive. Both have Intel's Atom processor at 1.6 ghz. Both have 1gig of memory. The flash drive on the 901 is partitioned into a C and a D drive. I installed antivirus software on it, and it automatically went to C, and literally filled it up. I had to remove the few small files that I had on it. Hint: if it is possible, load antivirus soft on the D...lots more room there as WinXP takes up most of C. You will also want to check what kind of 901 you are getting as they can also come with a hard drive, and also with a smaller flash drive and Linux.

R

Tags
computer, laptop