NFL: 2014 Season

+1000 While I was rooting for Dallas because I HATE Suh, I still don't get how the officials picked up that flag on that obvious pass interference call - the Dallas defender never even turned his head.

I'm with you. I was rooting for the Cowboys but picking up the flag on that obvious interference was baffling to me.

I'm with you. I was rooting for the Cowboys but picking up the flag on that obvious interference was baffling to me.
I was for neither team but to pick up that flag was bizzare. The defender had his back to the ball the whole time and made no effort to play the ball. Wonder what the refs were thinking?

Francis

Lions fan here (but not of Suh and that style of play). I'm not sure how they could have decided to pick that flag up either. Face guarding per se isn't a penalty in the NFL as it is in high school football but the defender made contact with Pettigrew long before the ball got there and was definitely not playing the ball. Certainly a very unusual play. Thought that the Lions might have a chance to beat them but didn't think either team was going very far in the playoffs. Let's just hope for better ball games next week. These four were pretty brutal.

Last edited:
Regarding the picked up flag...

Definitely pass interference... But

It looked like the receiver grabbed the defenders face mask before the ball arrived.

I agree the flag should not have been picked up... It should have been off setting penalties and a replay of 3rd down.

I don't think he got the facemask. I think there was a reach around on the helmet, and then the hand slipped down to the shoulder pad. It was one of the most obvious DPIs I've ever seen. And it definitely led to the Cowboys victory. Although a real punt might have saved the game too. Detroit deserved to lose. Go Packers!

I was for neither team but to pick up that flag was bizzare. The defender had his back to the ball the whole time and made no effort to play the ball. Wonder what the refs were thinking?

Francis

I think the refs were thinking a Romo/Rodgers matchup brings better ratings than Stafford/Wilson :LOL:

Did the refs even explain why they picked up the flag?

Last edited:
I think the refs were thinking a Romo/Rodgers matchup brings better ratings than Stafford/Wilson :LOL:
Pravda, pravda, that is true.
Hope the Cowboys pound Green Bay, so that the Packers limp into Century Link Field against the Seahawks!

Last edited:
There was an explanation after the game. Morelli said that a different ref had a better view and that there was minimal contact (which I agree with). Face guarding alone is not a penalty in the NFL. He did say the refs should have gotten together before he made the penalty announcement. I hate the Cowboys, but I also think there was no PI

There was an explanation after the game. Morelli said that a different ref had a better view and that there was minimal contact (which I agree with). Face guarding alone is not a penalty in the NFL. He did say the refs should have gotten together before he made the penalty announcement. I hate the Cowboys, but I also think there was no PI

Totally disagree with you on this one. Mike Pereira working for Fox also disagrees with you.

Hes face guarding and there's minimal contact. There's no doubt abut that. The doubt is how the PI rule is interpreted. I'll say its very very close and could've gone either way. I've seen it go both ways plenty of times. It would've been much less controversial if the refs had talked about it first and then picked up the flag, as opposed to announcing the penalty, moving the ball, and then no explanation as to why it was 4th down and why the flag was picked up.

Last edited:
The real foul here is one of "public relations" on the part of the refs..:facepalm:

Totally disagree with you on this one. Mike Pereira working for Fox also disagrees with you.

Mike Pereira is an idiot. Petigrew had him by his facemask, so he couldn't turn his head. I also noticed no call on Romo's shot into the right corner of the end zone where Williams was clearly interfered with.

.... Petigrew had him by his facemask, so he couldn't turn his head. ....

If that was the case I can understand the picked up flag. While it didn't look to me like he was trying to turn his head at all, if that was the reason the they should have explained it rather than just picked up the flag, especially since it had been announced as pass interference on the PA.

Mike Pereira is an idiot. Petigrew had him by his facemask, so he couldn't turn his head. I also noticed no call on Romo's shot into the right corner of the end zone where Williams was clearly interfered with.

So we the casual spectators know the rules better than the professionals and better than NFL reporters such as Don Banks and Peter King.

Look I am not a Lions fan by no means. In fact I dislike the team because of the actions of players like Dominic Riola and Suh but you don't want the Cowboys' win to be questioned by a controversial call.

That's what I've read(not about your dislike of Cowboys). Think the refs could have done a better job explaining the no call. Reading the explanation while reviewing the play, it makes sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

If that was the case I can understand the picked up flag. While it didn't look to me like he was trying to turn his head at all, if that was the reason the they should have explained it rather than just picked up the flag, especially since it had been announced as pass interference on the PA.

No question this should have been explained over the PA system. I could see the Dallas side line complaining to the officials after the flag was thrown, also it didn't seem like there was a "major" hissy fit from Detroit coach after the flag got picked up (he is certainly a lot cooler than I would be). There will always be controversial calls, missed calls, but its inexplicable as to why this was not explained immediately by the officials.

I looked at the video again. I did not see the receiver hold the defender's face mask at all. IMO the defender was not attempting to turn to the ball in any way whatsoever, which makes it defensive pass interference. Bad non-call IMO, but I'm glad to see that No Good Suh almost cried during the post-game press conference.

I looked at the video again. I did not see the receiver hold the defender's face mask at all. IMO the defender was not attempting to turn to the ball in any way whatsoever, which makes it defensive pass interference. Bad non-call IMO, but I'm glad to see that No Good Suh almost cried during the post-game press conference.

There was minimal contact before the ball got there based on second official viewpoint, so the defender would not have to turn. The official who thru the flag had a bad angle. The pass was way under thrown and hit Hitchens in the back. The officials should have conferred before the flag was thrown, but did so afterwards. Video angles can be deceiving, so its debatable just looking at the replay. This one play didn't decide the game any how and this was acknowledged by Detroit's coach. Stafford had his chance 2x in closing drive and Lawrence got him both times.

The Panthers organization must be counting their blessings. First Cam Newton escaped death from a car crash. Now, their coach and his family and pets escaped a house fire unharmed. :)

Rivera's sister-in-law told the television station that six people -- Rivera, his wife, Stephanie, his two brothers and their wives -- were in the house.

According to officials, 55 firefighters responded to the two-alarm call around 4 a.m. and found heavy smoke and flames coming from the house. A hole was cut in the roof of the three-story brick house to get the fire under control, and the family's pets were also rescued.

Firefighters battle blaze at home of Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera - ESPN

I don't care about the Cowboys or the Lions, and officiating is clearly very difficult - but having PI called, announced and then (poorly) reversed with no explanation at that point in a playoff game was a serious mistake IMO. Hitchens was NOT playing the ball at all, and could have been called on a), c), d) and/or e). The pass was absolutely catchable, Pettigrew touched it with his right hand despite the interference. It WAS underthrown and Hitchens could have batted it away or picked it if he had played the ball, but it was clearly PI since he did not play the ball.
NFL Rules Digest said:
Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Last edited:
I am a Cowboys fan but IMO, I do think this was PI. As I mentioned earlier, this wasn't the only bad or missed call during this game. And some of them could have been game changers.

Instant replay reviews has proven that the officials often make bad calls. Not necessarily their fault, they are only human. It's part of game we live with at this time, you win some, you lose some.

During the first half of the Dallas-Detroit game I almost posted something here about "Romo reverting back into Romo"... but then I thought I'd look bloody foolish if Dallas stormed back in second half... on hindsight, good decision on my part. :)

I give Dallas a shot in Green Bay... not so much if they have to go into Seattle a second time this season.

Back
Top Bottom