NFL: 2014 Season

Did you watch the game? He can't throw a ball beyond 10 yards with any accuracy. He started the year well but his arm strength declined as the season progressed. Now this may be related to a recent injury or something physical but I doubt it.

I think he should retire and be remembered as the great QB that he is rather than the mediocre QB that he would become.

He hasn't played well for almost half the season. When he had the neck injury and surgeries, he had to learn to throw all over again. Arm strength was a big part of that rehab. I know his DRs claimed his neck was better than ever, but you wouldn't have to go very far to find a DR. to disagree with that opinion. There's been a number of players that had the same surgery, their careers didn't last long after returning to the game.

I'd like for Peyton to go out and be remembered as a great QB. I admire him for coming back to a sport he loves. Rehabilitation for cervical issues is really tough. The consequences for being wrong about his c-spine, very severe.

I read he was asked what about next year and his answer was non-committal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

NE vs Seattle in the SB.

Seattle beat Green bay by 20 the first game of the season with a healthy Rodgers.

NE beat Indy by 22 points with Jonas Gray running for 200 yards and he has been inactive since....

Rodgers only threw an interception in 3 games all season and Seattle was one of them. Lacy was bad in the first half of the season but has been quite good the second half. If GB can eliminate turnovers and run the ball well then they have a good chance. They need to be at their best but it can be done.

I don't see NE losing unfortunately.

I don't have an opinion on whether Manning should retire (though what he says immediately after a disappointing season ending loss at home might not be a good gauge) - but with his knowledge and love of the game, I could see him becoming even more legendary as a coach than he is as a player. Unless he skips all that and goes directly to GM or owner. Time will tell...

FIFY

A stark contrast to the classy comments made by Jason Garrett after the GB victory. I'd be a bit embarrassed by this Tweet if I was a Lions fan.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I thought it was clearly in jest and not objectionable given the circumstances.

I'll go with the Patriots over the Colts in a close game. If Rogers were healthy, I think the NFC Championship would be a very good game but I'm skeptical that the Pack can contend against the Seahawks' defense with Rogers lack of mobility.

I don't have an opinion on whether Manning should retire (though what he says immediately after a disappointing season ending loss at home might not be a good gauge) - but with his knowledge and love of the game, I could see him becoming even more legendary as a coach than he is as a player. Unless he skips all that and goes directly to GM or owner. Time will tell...

I see him more of a GM/Owner like John Elway.

What a great "final four". Two of the historically great QB's, and two future greats...

And boy, did Manning's "legacy" take a hit. Great regular season record - but I just saw his playoff record...mediocre sums it up. I really like the guy though - great commercials...for what that's worth.

What a great "final four". Two of the historically great QB's, and two future greats...

And boy, did Manning's "legacy" take a hit. Great regular season record - but I just saw his playoff record...mediocre sums it up. I really like the guy though - great commercials...for what that's worth.
Like everyone else we admire Peyton. But it's hard to call him one of the greatest ever when even Eli has two Super Bowl wins. And for those who are quick to say it's the teams/coaches around any given QB legend, did Eli have the greatest teams or coaching around him?

There are lots of athletes in many sports with great records on paper, who don't have the big wins to match. The true greats have both, or maybe more of the latter?

Sportswriter Tom Mahon of the NY Daily News got in a lick on Chris Christie after the Dallas-GB game, calling him "The Outlaw Jersey Whale." As one of my former editors once said, "I guess the sensitivity police were off duty last night."

There are lots of athletes in many sports with great records on paper, who don't have the big wins to match. The true greats have both, or maybe more of the latter?

Great teams won't win without a great QB, and great QBs won't win without a great team:D

Like everyone else we admire Peyton. But it's hard to call him one of the greatest ever when even Eli has two Super Bowl wins. And for those who are quick to say it's the teams/coaches around any given QB legend, did Eli have the greatest teams or coaching around him?

I don't see why someone who has so many records is considered not great. I have not heard the same about Dan Marino and he never won a SB Favre only 1 just like PM. Get hot at the right time and a 9-7 team can end up in the SB and since it's one game win it. It doesn't mean they are necessarily the best team. Indeed many times the real SB is played out in a conf final. I would say that last years was, SF and the Hawks looked to be the 2 best teams and show it in their game

Did you watch the game? He can't throw a ball beyond 10 yards with any accuracy. He started the year well but his arm strength declined as the season progressed. Now this may be related to a recent injury or something physical but I doubt it.

I think he should retire and be remembered as the great QB that he is rather than the mediocre QB that he would become.

The fact he's been playing with a torn quad for the last few weeks may have something to do with it.
Peyton Manning of Denver Broncos played with torn right quad for the last month of the season - ESPN

The fact he's been playing with a torn quad for the last few weeks may have something to do with it.

Peyton Manning of Denver Broncos played with torn right quad for the last month of the season - ESPN

That doesn't surprise me. I mentioned in this thread several weeks ago, he may be hiding an injury as he doesn't like to make injury excuses. You just don't go from being the same as always Manning through first half of season to this. You do not get old suddenly in middle of the season. Clearly my guess is that is why they went to a running game halfway through season. The difficult questions now for him is ....can I get healthy again....and can I stay healthy if I do..... And of course management has to figure out if it's worth the $19 million risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peyton Manning has a very long history of not playing well in big games. How does someone who has been one of the best regular season QB of all time have a post season record of 11-11?

He had similar problems in college. At the time his major rival at Tennessee was the Florida Gators.
He lost to them 62-37....his only loss of the season
Lost 35-29 and threw 4 INTs....only lost 2 games this season
Lost 33-20....his only loss of the season.

He struggles in big games over and over again. That will always something that lingers in peoples mind when they look back at his career.

That doesn't surprise me. I mentioned in this thread several weeks ago, he may be hiding an injury as he doesn't like to make injury excuses. You just don't go from being the same as always Manning through first half of season to this. You do not get old suddenly in middle of the season. Clearly my guess is that is why they went to a running game halfway through season. The difficult questions now for him is ....can I get healthy again....and can I stay healthy if I do..... And of course management has to figure out if it's worth the $19 million risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If this is the case then I applaud him for playing through such an injury without allowing it to be a distraction to the team.

But I also agree with you that he may not be able to come back from such an injury at his age and be the dominant QB that he is.

I must have backed the DVR up at least 10 rimes and watched it again and again. That one was close and could be argued either way IMO. It's just unfortunate that the outcome of a game this important has to be decided on a call like that. You win some and you lose some.

Truly great teams don't get themselves in a situation where one bad call can cost them the game. Just my 2 cents.

Tweet from the Detroit Lions Twitter account - "Sorry @dallascowboys. We know the feeling:"

I thought the lions were more than gracious with that tweet, since the Cowboys wouldn't even have been playing Sunday if it were not for the refs in the previous game.

Just hearing that too.

Kinda begs the question, at one point should the backup be considered as obviously, Manning was laboring vs the Colts.

The Packers/Seahawks game may be known as the Matt Flynn game :LOL:

As long as Manning and Rodgers are able to stand upright and have a functional right arm, then they are better than their backups.

Like everyone else we admire Peyton. But it's hard to call him one of the greatest ever when even Eli has two Super Bowl wins.
I don't see why someone who has so many records is considered not great. I have not heard the same about Dan Marino and he never won a SB Favre only 1 just like PM.
Huh? Peyton's undoubtedly a great QB, I didn't suggest otherwise. My post specifically said "greatest ever" as I have heard many sportscasters claim, even again during yesterday's game. Greatest ever is what I was questioning.

I may well have forgotten, but I don't remember anyone claiming Marino or Favre were the "greatest ever" - though they were both great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom