NFL: 2014 Season

Also noteworthy is that the NFL and Goodell hasn't said a single peep about of the scandal.
No surprise at all. They're stewards of profits, not "the game," sportsmanship or anything else. They will act only when forced to, and they'll say or do only what it takes to minimize list profits. I wonder when/if we'll hear anything on the record about the deflated ball investigation. Even this morning, 4 days in, major networks are reporting new or conflicting information.

I still wonder why the team haters don't question the leagues role in all the nonsense that goes down...

No surprise at all. They're stewards of profits, not "the game," sportsmanship or anything else. They will act only when forced to, and they'll say or do only what it takes to minimize list profits. I wonder when/if we'll hear anything on the record about the deflated ball investigation. Even this morning, 4 days in, major networks are reporting new or conflicting information.

I still wonder why the team haters don't question the leagues role in all the nonsense that goes down...

+1

As usual the league leaked a lot of information before they had enough evidence on hand. It's hard to beleive that the league has not questioned Brady 4 days after the incident.

This thread is amusing.

Didn't Joe Namath do a pantyhose spread? That'd get the e-r.org boys tails wagging these days.

The difference between the NFL and the defunct XFL is the XFL has more credibility :LOL:

I'm actually following the story pretty closely. At least until the end of the week, then it's game prediction time :)

One thing I really liked about Sunday's game was having Steve Largent hand out the trophy. He is a class act.

When he retired in 1989, he held every major NFL receiving record, including most career receptions (819), most receiving yards (13,089) and most touchdown catches (100).

It would be very like Belichick to have the Pats deliberately make their first two touchdowns on the ground just to tell everyone "Shuddaaap".

Enough about Tom Brady's deflated balls already...
Agreed, even though I've over contributed. There's so much bad information it's not worth following until something final comes along, if it does.

Anyone going to watch fantasy football this weekend? (a.k.a. The Pro Bowl) :nonono:

From the presser
"At no time was there any intent -- whatsoever -- to try and compromise the integrity of the game," Belichick said. "I believe now, 100 percent, that I have personally and (the Patriots) have absolutely followed every rule to the letter," he added.
If he says it, it must be so. Personally, I think this whole air pressure thing was due to the altitude.

Enough about Tom Brady's deflated balls already...
No crap.....Everybody please get a life. How much of this are they going to talk about during the actual SB! I hope not much because it is awfully boring at this point.

Belichick pretty much says don't blame the Pats. If there's a problem, blame the refs:

"When the footballs are delivered to the officials' locker room, the officials were asked to inflate them to 12.5 PSI," he said. "What exactly they did, I don't know. But, for the purposes of our study, that's what we did. We set them at 12.5 [PSI]. That's at the discretion of the official regardless of what we ask for, it's the official's discretion to put them where he wants. Again, that's done in a controlled climate.

Bill Belichick says New England Patriots 'followed every rule' in preparation of footballs - ESPN Boston

I think what happened is a job for Mythbusters :)

Last edited:
A little n=1 experiment:

One football, "regulation" but not a game ball (don't need a $100 football...).

Inflated to 13psi at 71F, then set outside on the patio table for 30 min. Outside temp 43F.

Pressure now 11psi.

Admittedly, a SWAG, using a $7 hand pump/gauge, of dubious accuracy/precision.

Numbers is hard, but my rough calculation yielded a theoretical 12.2psi.

I would add that there wasn't much difference in feel between 11 and 13...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom