Join Early Retirement Today

No Call List? What No Call List?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
No Call List? What No Call List?

After a few years of getting zero telenmarketing calls, I have began recieving them once again. I got one a few minutes ago. I asked the caller where he got my phone # as it is "unlisted and highly restricted" (all BS). I was told that the phone call was placed with "random dialer ". I asked to be placed on the no call list and asked where the caller was calling from. Cherry Hill, NJ was the reply.

The caller claimed to not be selling anything and was only calling for a "survey". Yea sure...

Have any of you folks notice this trend or am I the only one who as been offered this opportunity to patricipate in this "survey?"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: No Call List? What No Call List?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we received one (a recorded telemarketing message) from Geico. Also, the political ad calls have started (got two recorded ones). The recorded ones are the worst.

Here's the link for filing a complaint:

Do Not Call Complaint Form

Thank you for filing your complaint with the National Do Not Call Registry.

Do not call complaints will be entered into a secure online database available to civil and criminal law enforcement agencies. While the FTC does not resolve individual consumer problems, your complaint will help the agency investigate the company, and could lead to law enforcement action.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Have any of you folks notice this trend or am I the only one who as been offered this opportunity to patricipate in this "survey?"
I almost slammed the phone last Spring on someone calling me about a survey BUT.... since I haven't taken a junk call or been surveyed in years, and I must have been in a good mood or something, I listened. They were looking for a test audiance to preview the pilot of a new TV show.

I watched it (they piped it in right thru my regular cable TV system on one of the open channels)

It made the cut of new shows for this Fall. It's called Knights of Prosperity. But don't blame me. I voted against it
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been getting a few lately .. .last one was some guy saying we'd won a free cell phone from Sprint .. right... Usually all I have to do is tell them we're on the no-call list and they suddenly start saying goodbye.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Several years ago, prior to the existance of the national DNC list, I had developed a pretty complicated script that I used to ask telemarketers (when I had time on my hands and needed to be entertained). I wish I still had it, but it involved asking many leading questions of the caller with an implication that I would buy his product "if you answer a couple of questions for me". At the end of the conversation I always said "Please take me off of your call list. If you call again I will sue you personally, the company you work for and the client that you are calling for. Do you fully understand the implications of this?". Ahhh, the good old days...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Until the DNC list I had a sure fire way to get rid of most of the callers. No matter what they were selling I had just bought/installed, siding .. OMG did that last year... new windows - gosh did that last month. If the call was for a donation I gave them the "oh gosh my husband just lost his job so I'll be unable to send anything" speech. I drove DH nuts doing this but even he agreed that we very seldom received those kinds of calls.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote