Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Go out with the dog in the dark and keep her close, leash if need be. Have someone click on the light. Immediate treat. Have someone turn off the light. Immediate treat. Do that for a couple of weeks. (my dog is a slow learner). Eventually she came from distant parts of the yard when the switch was turned off and on. Now I only intermittently reinforce the behavior.
I wish there were more people like you Martha. I feel so sad for the senior pets. We get lots turned into the shelter for various reasons - mainly because they have become too expensive and time consuming to care for. They are so pitiful. Hard to adopt, confused, depressed and looking at me with those eyes. I'm thankful for people like you who continue to care for their elderly pets.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I wish there were more people like you Martha. I feel so sad for the senior pets. We get lots turned into the shelter for various reasons - mainly because they have become too expensive and time consuming to care for. They are so pitiful. Hard to adopt, confused, depressed and looking at me with those eyes. I'm thankful for people like you who continue to care for their elderly pets.
I never thought about people dumping pets when they get old. That's really shabby.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #43
Administrator

I have always thought that I made a compact with my cats the day we brought them home as tiny kittens 15 years ago -- "you will be my loyal and loving cats and I will care for you for the rest of your days."
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have always thought that I made a compact with my cats the day we brought them home as tiny kittens 15 years ago -- "you will be my loyal and loving cats and I will care for you for the rest of your days."
I like your compact with the cats.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you tried Metacam for the arthritis pain? It's an NSAID specifically for animals.

We've now had two dogs with bad hips on the medication and it is amazing what it will do for their mobility.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #46

Purron, we see it too. The senior dogs are very commonly dumped at shelters. Especially around the holidays when people don't want to pay someone to watch them when traveling.
I'm heartened by the kindness of our fellow forumites toward their senior pets. Thanks, y'all.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

When I lived in the country dumped dogs sometimes wound up at my gate. They were always young. I finally asked an animal control officer about this. She said that often older dogs either get hit on the roadway or killed by wildlife before they have a chance to show up at someone's home. Totally gross. I guess the owners didn't want to face the trauma or expense of having them put down.

Ha
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I can't imagine 'dumping' an old dog (or any pet). I've had 4 dogs, 2 went deaf years before they passed, and I'd rank my favorites times in a dog's life conclusively as:
  • Best - When they are old, despite whatever health issues, they are so sweet, loving, grateful when they're older.
  • Next Best - When they're puppies, constant amusement and wonder completely offsets housebreaking, etc.
  • Least Favorite Time - Adolescence, when they're really independent - sort of like human teenagers!
But dog's have added immeasurably to our lives, DW and I.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Well, the old deaf dog had a $437 vet bill last week. Her breath was bad and I thought she may need her teeth cleaned, even though it was a bit early. It turned out that she had a cracked tooth with a nice little infection going on. So, her teeth were cleaned and the tooth was pulled. Costs included blood workup, IV during general anesthesia, the cleaning and pulling, antibiotics, and pain meds. She came through it just fine, though she did pace a lot the first two nights. The only difficulty was getting all the pills down her throat when she wasn't very interested in food. Wrapping them in chicken skin did the job.

Now she is running around her same old self.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Well, the old deaf dog had a $437 vet bill last week. Her breath was bad and I thought she may need her teeth cleaned, even though it was a bit early. It turned out that she had a cracked tooth with a nice little infection going on. So, her teeth were cleaned and the tooth was pulled. Costs included blood workup, IV during general anesthesia, the cleaning and pulling, antibiotics, and pain meds. She came through it just fine, though she did pace a lot the first two nights. The only difficulty was getting all the pills down her throat when she wasn't very interested in food. Wrapping them in chicken skin did the job.

Now she is running around her same old self.
Bless you, glad it ended well. We had a similar experience with our old girl and her teeth about 9 months ago, but whatever expense is more than worth it. The old girl makes me smile every day.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote