Organic or not?

All food is by definition, organic...If it wasn't you couldn't eat it; otherwise there would be a breakfast cereal made with shredded rebar nuggets and crunchy concrete...

The "organic" label is just another feel-good marketing scam designed to dupe the consumer into paying more for the product, IMO... YMMV

I worry more about salt and sugar (including high frutose corn syrup) content than an "organic" label.

I recommend a very good movie called "Food Matters" See the below link.

Welcome | FOODMATTERS®

Enjoy and eat well.

IMO, that is just fear-mongering, not a 'very good movie' at all. I said "IMO", but if I took more time, I'm sure I could make that a fact based statement, rather than opinion.

-ERD50

OK, that was easy:

Food Matters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Controversy

The alternative treatments advocated in Food Matters have failed to establish any credibility among the scientific or medical community. Despite claims to the contrary, none of contributing producers/authors have any recognised scientific credentials; Andrew Saul is an editor for the controversial Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, which was rejected by the National Library of Medicine due to substandard content.[2] He refers to himself as a doctor,[3] however he has no medical training and holds a PhD which he received from Greenwich University, an unaccredited diploma mill. Saul is also a known supporter of Max Gerson, whose controversial cancer therapies are considered scientifically unsupported and potentially hazardous.[4] Ian Brighthope is a Melbourne physician who claims to be a professor, however he holds no PhD (or recognised equivalent); a requirement for professorship in Australian universities. The remainder of the contributors are entrepreneurs, journalists, marketing experts, public speakers, nutritionists and holistic therapists.[5]

-ERD50

I tend to grow a lot of my own stuff and buy from locals; some 'organic' some not.

Khan,

Home grown is the best, isn't it? Especially tomatoes :)

I try to buy local produce. Organic is not always noticeably more expensive, so go that route when comparable. We do not use any commercial pesticides in our garden, and that is some of the best produce out there!

I am a healthy eater. Not strictly organic though. I try to be a locavore, buying at markets with frozen free range, antibiotic free meats and fresh vegetables. I am anticipating all the farmer's markets starting up next month. I have become a devotee of raw milk cheese from a nearby farm, local breads, jams, vinaigrettes, etc. I always buy organic milk, though. And wild seafood...won't touch farm raised at home. However, if I am at someone else's home or in a restaurant, I appreciate whatever is served.
I grow my own tomatoes and herbs in containers and supplement from the summer farmer's markets.

I really like the pasture raised chickens I get from my CSA's. They definitely taste different from commercially raised ones and the meat is firm, like the chickens I used to eat when I was younger. Now when I eat commercially raised chickens, I notice this greasy film on the meat (thus in my mouth) and the meat is rather flabby and joints very loose... (Sitting in a congested pen with no exercise and not much sun makes these chickens kind of like ... me...)

30 years ago DD's pediatrician was worried about the hormones and antibiotics that were being fed to cattle for milk and beef. Those seemed like good things to avoid for young children--and imho it was better to err on the safe side (not much of a down side if the pediatrician proved to be wrong--so we maybe were out a few bucks).

For myself and DH, however, who cares--we're all going to die anyway and with all those pesticides and synthetic preservatives and additives, etc. we should be mighty well preserved.

(This thread puts me in mind of a girl I knew in college who smoked, did major drugs, drank like a fish, etc., but turned up her nose at some random food and said she didn't put those toxins in her body.)

Last edited:
Sometimes I'll buy organic produce in the grocery store especially if the price is competitive. But that's only in the winter and not that often because I grow most, not all, of my food and I do it organically. I still am eating food I grew last year that was pickled or in cold storage or frozen. I understand why organic costs so much - it is labor intensive.

I prefer to not eat food that is processed and refined or doused with pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or genetically modified. Of course the rates of so many different cancers, autism, all sorts of auto immune diseases, et al that are rampant in societies that eat factory farmed food is just a coincidence of course. :greetings10:

I am never sick, look 10 years younger than my age, have as much energy as I did 25 years ago and I emit a beautiful blue glow. What more could I ask for? ;)

Of course the rates of so many different cancers, autism, all sorts of auto immune diseases, et al that are rampant in societies that eat factory farmed food is just a coincidence of course. :greetings10:
No need for that stodgy old "scientific method" when we can run on hunches and internet rumor. There's a Nobel Prize (a real one, not a Peace Prize) waiting for the person who can show that autism or autoimmune diseases are caused by stuff in food--no takers yet.

I prefer to not eat food that is processed and refined or doused with pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or genetically modified. Of course the rates of so many different cancers, autism, all sorts of auto immune diseases, et al that are rampant in societies that eat factory farmed food is just a coincidence of course. :greetings10:

Please present some evidence that cancer rates are 'rampant'.

I'll go first:

Cancer Trends Progress Report - Incidence

All sites combined: Overall incidence was on the rise from 1975 to 1989, with non-significant changes in rates from 1989 to 1999. From 1999 to 2006 incidence has significantly declined. Among men, from 1975 to 1992 rates rose. From 1992 to 1995 cancer incidence among men significantly declined, with no significant change between 1995 and 2000. From 2000 to 2006, incidence trends among men resumed a decline. Among women, from 1975 to 1979 rates were stable then rose from 1979 to 1987 before stabilizing again through 1998. From 1998 to 2006 cancer incidence among women has significantly declined.

Some rise and fall there, but "rampant"?

Cancer Trends Progress Report - Trends-at-a-Glance (doesn't copy/paste well, you'll need to read it).

-ERD50

There is no need to present evidence. If you need that then you are not paying attention. It's pretty obvious that the standard American diet (SAD) is unhealthy. I stopped trying to persuade or argue my points long ago. I don't try to convert anyone, what I see is pretty obvious to me. Everyone around me when I worked was sick all the time or suffering with allergies. I used to eat a poor diet a long time ago and started to develop health problems and it was pretty obvious to me why. I changed my diet and for 30 years I've been free of illness and degenerative diseases that people my age are saddled with. Maybe I'm the exception, maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm on to something. YMMV.

I belong to sites where people feel the need to site research and discuss on a much higher level than the average person can understand. A.E. two chemists discussing the toxicity of the chemicals on produce. when it comes to that level, I junst roll my eyes and go on to the next subject. If people are going to discuss they can name some articles that prove their point, but to go into depths that no one else understands is not good.

I belong to sites where people feel the need to site research and discuss on a much higher level than the average person can understand.

Are you saying that the average person cannot understand that those excerpts don't support a statement that cancer rates are increasing rampantly?

We're all above average here anyway, so it's all good!

A.E. two chemists discussing the toxicity of the chemicals on produce. when it comes to that level, I junst roll my eyes and go on to the next subject.

And when someone makes an unsubstantiated claim, and then infers I am ignorant and I just should just accept it because they do, I just roll my eyes (and try to remember that the poster takes that approach).

If people are going to discuss they can name some articles that prove their point, but to go into depths that no one else understands is not good.

What's "not good" about it? The reader can skip it if it doesn't interest them, but that doesn't change the facts.

And making decisions on unsubstantiated claims and promoting fear mongering is good? Color me confused:confused:

-ERD50

There is no need to present evidence. If you need that then you are not paying attention. It's pretty obvious that the standard American diet (SAD) is unhealthy. I stopped trying to persuade or argue my points long ago. I don't try to convert anyone, what I see is pretty obvious to me. Everyone around me when I worked was sick all the time or suffering with allergies. I used to eat a poor diet a long time ago and started to develop health problems and it was pretty obvious to me why. I changed my diet and for 30 years I've been free of illness and degenerative diseases that people my age are saddled with. Maybe I'm the exception, maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm on to something. YMMV.

You are not the exception - I experienced the same thing. If you look though time and follow good old fashion wisdom like Hippocrates who fostered "the healing power of nature" good things will come. Kinda makes sense really. I changed to a Mediterranean type diet focusing on lots of raw foods and boy - I look, so people say, and feel great. I am off all med's, and my blood work is the best ever!

Interesting site below:
Hippocrates Health Institute

You are not the exception - I experienced the same thing.
I've experienced that, too, as have many others who decided to become fit and start eating right. But it doesn't prove a thing, because you're not taking account of the people who improved their lifestyle, but got sick, anyway, or those who didn't improve lifestyle, but remained healthy. Just at the level of anecdote, since I follow two forums of cancer patients, I see postings from people who have recovered from cancer and attribute their recovery to exercise, to diet, to juice, to turmeric, ... you name it. But I also see postings from people relating how for decades they exercised, ate very carefully, and generally led exemplary lives; they're trying to make sense of why they got sick.

It's good that people are always looking for explanations, but sometimes, things don't make sense.

Are you saying that the average person cannot understand that those excerpts don't support a statement that cancer rates are increasing rampantly?

We're all above average here anyway, so it's all good!

And when someone makes an unsubstantiated claim, and then infers I am ignorant and I just should just accept it because they do, I just roll my eyes (and try to remember that the poster takes that approach).

Please present some evidence that supports that 'We're all above average here '. :greetings10:

Please present some evidence that supports that 'We're all above average here '. :greetings10:

I had hoped everyone recognized that as a joke, 'ala Lake Wobegon.

Although, considering that most here are concerned with or have achieved some degree of financial independence, it's probably true by some measures. By I won't profess that, or tell anyone it's obvious w/o some evidence.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom