Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Text (with your phone)?
Often, it's a useful alternative. 51 35.92%
Once in a while, when I have to (answer someone). 29 20.42%
Almost never or never. 56 39.44%
What's a text? 6 4.23%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The ring tone is very unique.. It makes a sound that goes "Ring..."
Ring What the heck does that sound like??

Yes I text some, but nothing like DW who is a regular machine--Thumbs a-blazin..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #22

Speaking of generations, I have a year old friend who lives in another state that I text with many times a week. He loves the phone technology but does not get computers at all.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't even know how to get a msg off our cell. (DH has it most of the time). For me, to try to text a reply would create the largest text phart known to modern man. Nations would crumble I tell you.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I text but it is definitely not my preferred method of communication. I guess that I don't text frequently enough to get fast so it takes me longer than I would like to type a text.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #25

Text & Skype are the only way to keep in touch with the kids. At least the ones without kids of their own.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
It is actually a simple, quick and unobtrusive way to reach people. Less obtrusive than phoning and quicker, generally, than email.
+1
Old 07-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Texting is convenient for reaching the kids since they use it all the time. I rarely text anyone over 40. It is actually a simple, quick and unobtrusive way to reach people. Less obtrusive than phoning and quicker, generally, than email.
+2

The phone is also portable. Texting is an easy way to keep in touch when you only have a few minutes and are away from the computer.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Texting is not my principal method of written communication; that place goes to email. (Did you know that email is now a word on Scrabble?) I regularly text one friend who is 62 and one w*rk colleague in her 50s. I also get text reminders that my Visa bill is ready, which reminds me to log in and set up the payment.

I prefer written communication over phone calls because it can be answered offline when you have had a chance to choose your response. Phone calls can be very disruptive when doing urgent activities. I am a stickler for good grammar and spelling so I am not a rapid texter, and I never texted at all until I got a smartphone with a proper keyboard. I could never deal with the conversion of numbers to letters!

Texting can be really cost effective when you want to communicate quickly with someone abroad about a simple question.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Presumably a narrower range and a higher mean than the general population no? I don't think Gen X or especially Gen Y are well represented here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
You think "boomers" are the only generation represented here? Seems to me there are 4 generations that contribute regularly.

2000/2001-Present - New Silent Generation or Generation Z
*1980-2000 - Millennials or Generation Y
*1965-1979 - Generation X
*1946-1964 - Baby Boom
*1925-1945 - Silent Generation
1900-1924 - G.I. Generation
You'll have to show me where I said "boomers are the only generation represented here"...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Texting is not my principal method of written communication; that place goes to email. (Did you know that email is now a word on Scrabble?) I regularly text one friend who is 62 and one w*rk colleague in her 50s. I also get text reminders that my Visa bill is ready, which reminds me to log in and set up the payment.

I prefer written communication over phone calls because it can be answered offline when you have had a chance to choose your response. Phone calls can be very disruptive when doing urgent activities. I am a stickler for good grammar and spelling so I am not a rapid texter, and I never texted at all until I got a smartphone with a proper keyboard. I could never deal with the conversion of numbers to letters!

Texting can be really cost effective when you want to communicate quickly with someone abroad about a simple question.
EMAIL and its verb forms became acceptable words in Scrabble back in late 2005 when the word list was last revised.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't even have the capability turned on. I'm not interested in texting and it's an extra expense I don't need. I use the phone to talk to someone, listen to a voicemail, or occasionally take a picture.
I also walk away from anyone who answers their phone or texts if we are having a conversation. If they had good manners then they should be taking those calls after we are finished.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #32

I've had a cellphone for about 24 or 25 years, and have never texted! I use my cell to talk.....that's all. I don't even have voicemail set up on it...and won't. If folks want to get a hold of me, they can call my cellphone, catch me at the coffee shop, stop by the old homestead (where I'm usually at!), send me an email, or hit me up on Facebook.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #33

I didn't text until a couple of years ago . Now I text several times a day.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I do text occasionally (I am 33) but I refuse to answer any texts with text-speak; they all had better be written out in proper English. Even though I have an old flip-phone that makes texting difficult, I also always write out entire words.

I hear texting is essential to dating now, so once I start that, I'll probably text a lot more than I do now.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I know a mother who has her college kids on a four-hour text-message leash. They dare not leave her texts unanswered, no matter how sober what activity they might be in the middle of. Ridiculous.

We get an e-mail from our daughter once or twice a month when she has a question or wants a reimbursement. We get a phone call once or twice a semester. She comes home a couple times a year. Otherwise we learn everything we care to know about her from Facebook.

We have a land line phone but we rarely turn on the ringers. I have a pay-as-you-go cell phone, and I only pay for it when I'm on travel. Spouse has used an iPhone for work but has no interest in it for retirement. I get most of my business done via e-mail, but I've been known to send a text message from my PC through the SMS gateway for emergencies.

Everyone else I care to hear from has learned to live with voicemail and e-mail...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I know a mother who has her college kids on a four-hour text-message leash. They dare not leave her texts unanswered, no matter how sober what activity they might be in the middle of. Ridiculous.

We get an e-mail from our daughter once or twice a month when she has a question or wants a reimbursement. We get a phone call once or twice a semester. She comes home a couple times a year. Otherwise we learn everything we care to know about her from Facebook.

We have a land line phone but we rarely turn on the ringers. I have a pay-as-you-go cell phone, and I only pay for it when I'm on travel. Spouse has used an iPhone for work but has no interest in it for retirement. I get most of my business done via e-mail, but I've been known to send a text message from my PC through the SMS gateway for emergencies.

Everyone else I care to hear from has learned to live with voicemail and e-mail...
I cant get over how much grief I get from GF, parents and a few friends when I don't answer their messages immediately. They think the thing should be with me everywhere I go. I just tell them you managed to survive the 1970s and 80s without being able to get ahold me immediately just fine. I treat the cell like my landline (which I dont have). It mostly stays on the counter so I don't lose it.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #37

so.......as an ignorant other- generation inhabitant who has never texted.......I would like to ask if it is a reasonable assumption that:

chat > texting > e-mail > snail mail

are variations of the same written communication method except that the transit time and typical response time are ordered as shown and the devices used are different?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I don't get texting. Why would someone want to waste time typing when you can talk to someone? Then again, I don't own a cell phone either.
Because it is convenient and is often more thoughtful and less intrusive.

I generally don't have long conversations on text, but I've found it extremely convenient for certain types of short conversations. It is also good when it is helpful to see the info in writing. For example, when DH or I go to the grocery store we have our kids text us anything they want.

I send about 300 texts a month...my kids are more like 3000 which amazes me....
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #39

I don't, but we don't have kids either, in which case we probably would.

This reminds me of why people accept new technologies into their daily lives. In the late '90's one of the secretaries administrative assistants used a desktop PC at work, connected to a noisy dot matrix printer, so that was the context in which she viewed a PC. Her husband wanted to get a computer and put it in the bedroom and she was vehemently opposed to that saying "I will not have that damn thing in my bedroom!"

When she found out she could get email and photos from her grandchildren in Oregon she wanted the computer on her side of the bed.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is actually a simple, quick and unobtrusive way to reach people. Less obtrusive than phoning and quicker, generally, than email.
+2. I resisted years ago, but for short messages it's quicker, less obtrusive and cheaper than phone IMO. I text for short messages, email for longer messages and phone as a last resort. Some text exchanges result in a text, 'can you call me' which is fine if the conversation becomes more involved than expected.

All my buddies but one text each other, group text at times. One guy has an expensive smartphone with every bell and whistle but doesn't respond to texts. When we get together and everyone is on the same page except him and he says 'why didn't somebody tell me?' - it's only that he didn't look at a text. He'll learn...

Ain't technology grand.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote