Poll: Do U Text?

Do You Text (with your phone)?

• Often, it's a useful alternative.

Votes: 51 35.9%
  • Once in a while, when I have to (answer someone).

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • Almost never or never.

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • What's a text?

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just curious re: our generation...

Yes i have hearing problems and only have a data plan on my iPhone. Been texting for quite a few years with my daughter. I do have a problem tho...can't hear or feel (vibration) when I get a text...so daughter calls my landline that has a very loud ring then I get my iPhone to read the txt. Love texting.

Uh, how can you determine generation in the poll answers? Forum members cover a pretty broad range.
Presumably a narrower range and a higher mean than the general population no? I don't think Gen X or especially Gen Y are well represented here. :cool:

Guess someone could poll that too...

I've texted a time or two in the past...But I try to avoid texting with a passion. I like my flip phone tracfone. The ring tone is very unique.. It makes a sound that goes "Ring..." :LOL:

Yes. It's the only thing that gets me a response from our children!
True here, too. So, I engage in texting, but rarely. Kids like it, IMO, because its inefficiency precludes long discussions that might prove "awkward."
"B L8 home 2nite. C ya in AM. Battery lo. Luv"

Only from Carribean to kids and to family members while at a "destination wedding" (family members were there too). We did this because our phone company charges an arm and a leg for out of country voice calls. Actually that's DW's company, mine doesn't work out of country. Pay as you go phones, we use maybe $25/yr.

Presumably a narrower range and a higher mean than the general population no? I don't think Gen X or especially Gen Y are well represented here. :cool:

Guess someone could poll that too...

You think "boomers" are the only generation represented here? Seems to me there are 4 generations that contribute regularly.

2000/2001-Present - New Silent Generation or Generation Z
*1980-2000 - Millennials or Generation Y
*1965-1979 - Generation X
*1946-1964 - Baby Boom
*1925-1945 - Silent Generation
1900-1924 - G.I. Generation

I've never been much of a phone person. Much rather talk to someone in person than on the phone. That being said I can't believe I'm admitting that I like texting. Since our sons don't live near us anymore (one 110 miles away...the other one across the country) I find texting to be a godsend. I don't have to worry about time zones or babies sleeping and waking them with a ringing phone. Of course my text usually consist of "R u available for a phone call?" And as someone else noted I get responses better than leaving a message.

Nope, I do not. Occasionally a friend will send me a text and I can send back a short, misspelled reply. Or else I call the sender. I have a land line, a cell phone and e-mail. I think I have enough ways for people to get in touch with me.

I have never sent a text.

Verizon was kind enough to turn off my texting capabilities at my request. They can still send me texts, but almost never do and all other text messages are blocked.

(early baby boomer here)

Texting is a separate form of communication and a godsend for the extremely introverted. I far prefer texting to talking on the telephone (I've never liked "chatting" on the phone). As I explained it to my mother (70 years old), texting is like leaving a polite note on someone's desk, asking them to respond when it is convenient; telephoning is a brusk demand that they drop everything and attend to you NOW!

I do not even have the voice mail enabled on my mobile phone--if you want to get in touch with me, text me, or email me. The land line has an old-school answering machine to field most of the robo calls, and I only answer it if I know the caller and would rather speak with them now than call them back later.

Texting is convenient for reaching the kids since they use it all the time. I rarely text anyone over 40. It is actually a simple, quick and unobtrusive way to reach people. Less obtrusive than phoning and quicker, generally, than email.

I don't get texting. Why would someone want to waste time typing when you can talk to someone? Then again, I don't own a cell phone either.

Because you can't talk to someone and they don't get e-mail on their phone.

Examples:

You are in a meeting and cannot talk, so texting is easy.

Your recipient is in school or on an airplane, or otherwise indisposed and won't listen to voice mail.

You are in a movie theater and cannot talk on your phone.

You are on an airplane, bus, or other close quarters and don't want the folks nearby to participate in your "conversation".

You are in a restaurant and everybody at your table is texting someone else. So you text them that the waiter has delivered the food.

I chose "what's a text" because, as someone who hates cell phones (too), I figured someone has to pick this choice even though the one above it is not really any different.

Once I got a phone with a true keyboard, it is my choice of communication. I have a couple of old school friends I still call instead because they prefer that.

Mostly just with my husband. It's so much easier than having to check the voicemail for a quick message. I hate talking on the phone and don't want to communicate with other people enough to text, email or call them generally.

The ring tone is very unique.. It makes a sound that goes "Ring..." :LOL:
Ring:confused: What the heck does that sound like??

Yes I text some, but nothing like DW who is a regular machine--Thumbs a-blazin..

Speaking of generations, I have a year old friend who lives in another state that I text with many times a week. He loves the phone technology but does not get computers at all.

I don't even know how to get a msg off our cell. (DH has it most of the time). For me, to try to text a reply would create the largest text phart known to modern man. Nations would crumble I tell you. :LOL:

I text but it is definitely not my preferred method of communication. I guess that I don't text frequently enough to get fast so it takes me longer than I would like to type a text.

Text & Skype are the only way to keep in touch with the kids. At least the ones without kids of their own.

Back
Top Bottom