Poll Do you still have a Land line Phone?

Do you still have a land line phone?

• Yes

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No

Votes: 34 25.2%

• Total voters
We currently have a VOIP land line and my DW has a pre-paid cell phone that we share now that I'm retired.

One question for those of you without land lines. If you both want to talk to the same person at the same time, how do you do it? That's the main reason I haven't thought too much about getting rid of the land line yet.

I have a land line with DSL. I do not want cable TV so it's a landline or some wireless thing that isn't reliable around here (I've heard) for my internet.

I have a land line with DSL. I do not want cable TV so it's a landline or some wireless thing that isn't reliable around here (I've heard) for my internet.

Now here is the possibility for another poll. How many people have cable TV? I have been tempted to 86 my cable TV since DH and I seldom watch the thing. Can't get DH to go along with that at this point however.

Thanks for the thread. It prompted me to take a critical look at my land line service. Today I cancelled call waiting, call screening and call display. I will save $21 per month. I need to keep the land line as I am a physician and am required to have one. Also, my house alarm uses it.

Now here is the possibility for another poll. How many people have cable TV? I have been tempted to 86 my cable TV since DH and I seldom watch the thing. Can't get DH to go along with that at this point however.
Good point. We're paying over $50/month for essentially HGTV with a viewing option on a few other voyeuristic entertainment channels.

But I guess HGTV would fit in that category too...

I need to keep the land line as I am a physician and am required to have one.

Interesting. Is that a canada specific or province specific law?

I thought that was considered rude? ;)

Our phones have speakerphone capability...

That's the only way I ever get to talk. ;)

I hadn't really considered the speaker phone option, but they are getting better. Definitely worth considering.

Gads,

I quit the landline years ago. But I had to get it again last year because of a situation where I needed to upload visa/mc transactions. Qwest wouldn't give me a break for a simple data line. Had to pay $30 per month. I wouldn't give them a nickel for any kind of service now.

The cable company let me keep internet and dump TV cable. I told them I'd pay for TV on an a la carte basis (ESPN, etc.,) but couldn't subsidize paid gasbags on CNBC, MSNBC, Fox, etc. They don't get it.

We have a landline and we both have cells. I do not like to talk on a cell phone very long for the same reason as Jim's phobia. I also like to be able to walk freely while on a phone and will lose the connection every once in a while. I just signed up today for the bundle package of unlimited long distance on the landline and DSL for the internet. I will admit that my sister and I are like Walt's wife, we can easily talk 1 to 1 1/2 hours on the phone a few times per week. I do not talk to my brother as often, but when he calls we are on the phone 1 to 1 1/2 hours also. Our cell phone bill runs $85.00 per month and we don't hardly use any of the minutes. That is money that we are throwing away each month. I need to tackle that situation next. I don't know if I can convince my DH to go to a prepaid cell phone. I am considering not having one at all. The only time that I have been in an accident, I had forgotten to bring my cell phone with me.

i have a cell with unlimited minutes, free mobile to mobile, alltel, $60/mo. I used about 3500 min/month and dont see the need for a landline (my wife gets free long distance on her cell plan, so we're covered)

Landline is part of an All-in-One package for Internet, security, fire alarm system. Landline is great for those really long calls to friends from the past, since it is free long distance. Cell phones are used only as needed.

Gave up all our land lines in a 3-person family last spring and we love it. Call quality is comparable. Cheaper and much simpler. Kept DSL with AT&T but no voice service.

We have to have a land line....the cell phone signal is intermittant at best in the house. It will drive one nuts: "Hello, can you hear me? Hello, are you there......"

Back
Top Bottom