• Patriots by over 14 pts

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I just watch the commercials or halftime event

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • other

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anybody know why the Pats Malcolm Butler didn't play? It seemed he was notified he wouldn't be playing while sitting on the bench right before the game.

It also seemed as if Belichick didn't out-coach Pederson.

Butler's benching has been a big story around here all day long. The link below has some info and hints to the fact that his absence affected the defense and contributed to its struggles.

https://clutchpoints.com/patriots-news-ian-rapoport-explains-malcolm-butlers-benching-super-bowl/

^ ^ ^
Thanks for the link: I also ended up reading a whole bunch of comments. From those who commented it appears to me that the majority feel BB made a mistake keeping Butler out of the entire game and really made a mistake by telling Butler he was out very shortly before kick-off. I can see where that could have been a distraction. Why would a coach show up a player up that way? I wonder how big a story this would have been if the Pats won.

Three arrests as of Monday AM, but more to follow after videotape examined.
Some damage, arrests during post-Super Bowl celebrations | 6abc.com

Wouldn't call that a riot. But I would call this a riot:
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/UMass-Amherst-Students-Riot-After-Patriots-Loss-472680563.html

I prefer to dwell on the good. Marriage proposals, children to be born 9 months from now, sons and daughters wearing the jackets of those who passed, and were not celebrating on earth.

This was a neat story (not the fact that one is lost) I saw last night: Group of 5 Friends Who Attended Every Super Bowl Now Down to 4 After Member Dies Just Before Game | Inside Edition

This SB will go down as a classic. Not only because of the subplots bit of the pace. Didn't expect a shootout and track race.

Hate to talk refs, but they hosed the Pats on that on Philly TD that looked like the receiver obviously had his toe on the end zone backline.
That could be true, or perhaps video review saw other elements in play. The explanation that makes most sense to me is that player had two feet down (have to see that in slo-mo), and did not lose possession as he moved ball to other arm. Yes, I will watch these highlights a hundred times more, and find out for sure whether there was any cheating. Remember, there must be clear video evidence to overturn, in this case.

^ ^ ^
Thanks for the link: I also ended up reading a whole bunch of comments. From those who commented it appears to me that the majority feel BB made a mistake keeping Butler out of the entire game and really made a mistake by telling Butler he was out very shortly before kick-off. I can see where that could have been a distraction. Why would a coach show up a player up that way? I wonder how big a story this would have been if the Pats won.

If the reasons for the benching is as reported it was a mistake on Belichick's part to keep him out when his replacements were not doing a good job. It may not have affected the outcome of the game but why not bench him for the first quarter then insert him back in the game. Even the best coaches make questionable decisions.

If the reasons for the benching is as reported it was a mistake on Belichick's part to keep him out when his replacements were not doing a good job. It may not have affected the outcome of the game but why not bench him for the first quarter then insert him back in the game. Even the best coaches make questionable decisions.

The problem is, if Belichick announced to both Butler and the team that
Butler was out for the entire game it would be hard to put him back in under any circumstance. OTOH, we (I) don't know exactly what Belichick said to Butler. And, yes, a lot of the posts that I read agree that if Butler had to be benched it should have been for the first series of downs or for the first quarter. Makes sense to me.

I've read that Belichick has a history of being petty and vindictive (he also apparently has a history of being in, and winning lots of Super Bowls). I think that there might be a problem going forward as what he did to Butler and the way he did it does sound vindictive. I think the Pats are going to have to continue to win very big or the media (esp. sports talk radio) will be relentless in their pursuit of BB and that might be wearing on the franchise.

The problem is, if Belichick announced to both Butler and the team that
Butler was out for the entire game it would be hard to put him back in under any circumstance.

Except that Butler was in on one special team play. That seems vindictive to me.

Yes, putting him in for that one special team play (which totally slipped my mind) seems vindictive. I imagine the Pats players are upset, not with keeping Butler out, but the way it was done. Leads to negative feelings in the locker room. Winning keeps that negativity in check. The Pats better keep on winning a whole lot of games.

Yes, putting him in for that one special team play (which totally slipped my mind) seems vindictive. I imagine the Pats players are upset, not with keeping Butler out, but the way it was done. Leads to negative feelings in the locker room. Winning keeps that negativity in check. The Pats better keep on winning a whole lot of games.

I have always been a fan of BB as the majority of Pats fans are primarily because of his winning and definitely not for his charming personality:rolleyes:. At times though I think his vindictive approach irritates even his most ardent supporters. If next year he continues to win despite losing both coordinators to head coaching jobs and few key players to free agency everything will be forgotten.

Interesting.. Josh McDaniels had a change of heart and left the Colts high and dry and went back to the Pats.

Interesting.. Josh McDaniels had a change of heart and left the Colts high and dry and went back to the Pats.

It seems that Belichick may have decided to retire in the next couple of years and Josh will be his replacement. I don't see how any team would hire him for a future head coaching job after pulling out of the Colts' job so late.

Or maybe Brady slipped him a couple of millions to stay as his coordinator:LOL:

Someone , explain what is going on in NE . A local radio station has an X Patriot player working as an announcer and he thinks Belecheck held Malcolm Butler out to show everyone that he is the only one that matters . Ted Johnson here in Houston believes that if Malcolm Butler were allowed to play the Patriots could have shut the Eagles down . He also said that Belecheck and Mr. Kraft's son hate each other and Mr. Kraft's son will take the team over next year. He thought Belecheck was sending a message to NE owners that he is the only one that matters . The announcer was Ted Johnson . He claimed Belecheck benched him for half a season because he got a concussion and would not play. He believes BB is that vindictive.

Someone , explain what is going on in NE . A local radio station has an X Patriot player working as an announcer and he thinks Belecheck held Malcolm Butler out to show everyone that he is the only one that matters . Ted Johnson here in Houston believes that if Malcolm Butler were allowed to play the Patriots could have shut the Eagles down . He also said that Belecheck and Mr. Kraft's son hate each other and Mr. Kraft's son will take the team over next year. He thought Belecheck was sending a message to NE owners that he is the only one that matters . The announcer was Ted Johnson . He claimed Belecheck benched him for half a season because he got a concussion and would not play. He believes BB is that vindictive.

I don't have an explanation for Belichick but Johnson sounds like he's pretty vindictive too.

Ted Johnson is actually a really good guy , we run into him often at his father's BBQ here in town. Now Malcolm Johnson has tweeted he spent time with his family at the SB and BB had said he had a woman and Pot in his motel room . The truth will eventually come out . If you believe in conspiricys you could say that BB does not want the young Kraft to see the SB ring #6 . Next season BB retires Josh McDaniel takes over an average team . This has been a really unusual season for the Patriots , trading Jimmy G for hardly nothing ........just sayin.

So, Nick Foles calling his own number.
Philly Philly, aka Philly Special. I'll take that to my Super Bowl Parade today. Here's to Pops, who's looking down on it all.
:)

Here's the local Eagles announcers calling various plays during the SB. Interesting from the perspective of what goes into this small operation.

Merrill Reese is 75 yrs old. I hope I have that much energy in 15 yrs. I'm getting short of breath just listening to him

Merrill Reese is 75 yrs old. I hope I have that much energy in 15 yrs. I'm getting short of breath just listening to him

I’m glad Merrill got to call an Eagles Super Bowl win before he calls it quits.

Similarly, when Harry Kalas died suddenly early in the 2009 season, I was glad that he has been able to make the winning call for the 2008 Phillies.

Back
Top Bottom