Poll: That Airbag Recall. What Are You Doing?

That Airbag Recall, What Are You Doing?

• Airbag recall work is completed!

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Waiting on part(s) - in meantime, driving less

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Waiting on part(s) - in meantime, driving about the same

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Waiting on part(s) - in meantime, driving more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • waiting on part(s) - in meantimeHave other vehicle (other family car, rental or loaner)

• I don't drive

• My car not impacted

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • What? There is an airbag recall?

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • other

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Driver side completed under recall last year.

Passenger side recall letter came a couple of weeks ago. Dealer ordered parts when I called last week and said the parts should be there in two weeks. The recall letter said Honda would send another letter when parts are available but the dealer claimed they can get the parts now if ordered for a specific vehicle under recall - so guess I will know soon. But this has not changed my driving habits.

The parts for the passenger side came in 8 days after the dealer ordered so have an appointment for the fix in the morning. If I had waited on Honda to send a second letter (about parts availability), I would still be waiting - so I'm glad I decided to call the dealer.

As a follow up, my car is scheduled to get the air bag fix tomorrow :).

I know I'm retired when the appointment scheduling went like the following:

Scheduler: When do you want this done?

Me: As soon as possible.

Scheduler: How about tomorrow at 7:45 am?

Me: That's a bit early.

Scheduler: How about 8:45 am?

Me: Still too early.

Scheduler: 9:45?

Me: Ummm.

Scheduler: 10:45?

Me: That will be perfect! :LOL:

^

I'm the exact opposite, (and I haven't worked since the end of 1988).......I always take the earliest appointment available, Dr., Dentist, Garage, whatever. Primarily for two reasons: I don't want to have to wait in limbo for an appointment that could already be over and done with, and being first in the door usually means I don't get sideswiped with unforeseen workload backups.

No doubt, pre-retirement I would have taken an earlier slot. But now a morning appointment interferes with my putz around time :LOL:.

Update: I called the dealership in October and they had the airbag installed within 2 weeks. All went well except that one of the servicemen stole a little box of tictacs I keep in the storage area next to the driver's seat.

The dealership is near a local library so I walked over there to read a book for a few hours. As I was walking back to the dealership, the agent called me to fetch the car.

No doubt, pre-retirement I would have taken an earlier slot. But now a morning appointment interferes with my putz around time :LOL:.

Me, I don't like things 'hanging over my head', I want them done/finished/over - I recall saying to an old boss who attempted to retract an assignment, "It's already done and sent...if you don't want something done, don't give it to me". :LOL:

Me, I don't like things 'hanging over my head', I want them done/finished/over - I recall saying to an old boss who attempted to retract an assignment, "It's already done and sent...if you don't want something done, don't give it to me". :LOL:

I hear you. For some things I like to get out of the way and not have "hanging over my head", like already did my asset rebalancing first business day of the year. Over and done. A good feeling!

All three cars are too old to be in the recall. I will want to keep track of this issue when I think about replacing one of our cars as lots of folks ignore recalls - even one as serious as this one. I'd hate to end up with a recalled vehicle which had not been fixed yet.

When I was finally able to get the airbag replaced on my 09 Honda Fit a couple of months ago, I demanded that the dealer give me proof in writing that the work had been done, in case I ever want to sell or trade in the car.

I had to ask for the written proof - they didn't offer it to me. :mad:

Update: I called the dealership in October and they had the airbag installed within 2 weeks. All went well except that one of the servicemen stole a little box of tictacs I keep in the storage area next to the driver's seat.

The dealership is near a local library so I walked over there to read a book for a few hours. As I was walking back to the dealership, the agent called me to fetch the car.

Sometimes, you just gotta have a tictac :facepalm:.

I've never had a dishonest repair shop take stuff from my car. I even sometimes on purpose leave some loose change around to test them. As, for churning repair work the jury is still out :(.

My car is one of the cars on the airbag recall list. I got a letter back in March saying pretty much no parts yet, but should be available around summer when I'll get a second letter. With summer almost over, still no second letter.

Got me curious, what are folks here doing about that airbag recall. So, I created a poll. :)

The exact same thing happened to me. I have an 09 Honda Fit. In March I got the first letter, saying no parts but they'd be in by summer and to wait for the second letter. Yeah, right. No letter ever came.

In September I called the dealer and asked them to order the parts for my specific car. They took my info, and ordered the parts from the regional office for the southeast. About 3 weeks later, I had an appointment and they did the work.

I have driven Hondas for 20 years, but when this one dies many years from now, I doubt I will purchase another one. They handled this recall very badly, and it's not like it was a minor issue. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The exact same thing happened to me. I have an 09 Honda Fit. In March I got the first letter, saying no parts but they'd be in by summer and to wait for the second letter. Yeah, right. No letter ever came.

In September I called the dealer and asked them to order the parts for my specific car. They took my info, and ordered the parts from the regional office for the southeast. About 3 weeks later, I had an appointment and they did the work.

I have driven Hondas for 20 years, but when this one dies many years from now, I doubt I will purchase another one. They handled this recall very badly, and it's not like it was a minor issue. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I never got the second letter either. Sent an email to a dealer that I had recall work done in the past, but that was totally ignored. Then I contacted another dealer (the place I'm having the work done) via their 24 hour chat during off hours. The place took down my info and said they will get back to me ASAP. Three month go by I try again, but same result. So, I called this morning expecting them to tell me no parts, but instead am scheduled for tomorrow.

The initial recall notice surely is confusing referring to a second letter that didn't arrive.

The recall work on my car's airbag is all done :).

I read an article yesterday that another 770,000 cars have been added to the list to be repaired. Our car is now on the list. Haven't actually heard from the dealership yet. So, I am just waiting for now.

I never got the second letter either. Sent an email to a dealer that I had recall work done in the past, but that was totally ignored. Then I contacted another dealer (the place I'm having the work done) via their 24 hour chat during off hours. The place took down my info and said they will get back to me ASAP. Three month go by I try again, but same result. So, I called this morning expecting them to tell me no parts, but instead am scheduled for tomorrow.

The initial recall notice surely is confusing referring to a second letter that didn't arrive.

Based on how efficiently Honda has managed the communication regarding the recalls so far, I fully expect to receive the mythical second letter about six months from now. :facepalm:

The recall work on my car's airbag is all done :).

Excellent! I remember the huge sense of relief I felt driving home after my recall work was done.

It wasn't until the next day that I began wondering what other part of my car might attack and kill me over the next few months, because Honda happens to be behind in their paperwork. With any luck I'll get "a letter" notifying me of that deficiency before the attack takes place. :eek:

While I was waiting for the parts, I disabled the affected airbag (front passenger) using instructions posted at a Subaru enthusiasts' website. Not completely trivial (you need to fool the system into thinking the airbag is still connected) and dangerous (if the thing goes off while you're working on it). I am EE and amateur mechanic or I wouldn't have tried.

^

I'm the exact opposite, (and I haven't worked since the end of 1988).......I always take the earliest appointment available, Dr., Dentist, Garage, whatever. Primarily for two reasons: I don't want to have to wait in limbo for an appointment that could already be over and done with, and being first in the door usually means I don't get sideswiped with unforeseen workload backups.

I always schedule appts between 10 and 3 to avoid getting sideswiped by forseen rush hour traffic backups.

We got a letter a few months ago that our car's airbags were involved and to call the dealer, and we should not drive the car until they were replaced. Naturally we were embarking on a road trip with another couple the next day, which we did not postpone. The airbags were replaced as soon as we got back. The other car got its airbags replaced when we took it in for routine service--unbeknownst to us, it had been put on the replacement list subsequent to the initial brouhaha, when we had checked to see if its VIN was on the list.

Back
Top Bottom