Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you try pot if it were legal in your state?
I have and I would. 80 43.96%
I have and I would not. 43 23.63%
Never have, and I would. 15 8.24%
Never have, and I would not. 44 24.18%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If all MJ does is to make people stupid, I would not mind it at all, as long as I do not have to subsidize their mistakes. For example if MJ causes them to "buy high/sell low", I will profit.
I think it is far more likely to cause them to "buy high/sell high"...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Look at the legalization of MJ in other countries. While beer is served all around the world, the Dutch attempt to legalize MJ had been rolled back because of some unintended consequences.

They are still looking the other way in Amsterdam, but MJ is still not for sales openly in tobacco shops in the country. In addition, they are banning foreign tourists from entering these coffee shops where MJ is for sales. Why, I wonder.
I know! Too many foreigners would go there, drink a bunch of Absinthe, smoke more than they did in college. Then they would fall down hit their heads, have to be carried home. Seen it happen, think it conflicted with the locals way of doing things.
Edit to add: No matter where we are in the world, nobody appreciates a sloppy drunk, stoned, or other stupid chemicaly induced person that needs to be treated as an infant.

MRG

Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
They are still looking the other way in Amsterdam, but MJ is still not for sales openly in tobacco shops in the country. In addition, they are banning foreign tourists from entering these coffee shops where MJ is for sales. Why, I wonder.
Drug use in general is much more common there, without tossing everybody in jail for it. One sports trip (coaching) we took there (not in Amsterdam) got very nasty at one point with a huge kick boxer threatening a bunch of kids on our volleyball/cross country teams. Police eventually came, but didn't really do anything. They had dealt with the guy before and would go around to see him the next day when he was back off whatever drug he was on. A different (not necessarily better or worse) way of dealing with it.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Moving for retirement tax reasons.... moving for retirement pot reasons...
Old 01-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Absolutely not.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I think the overall board tilt to the younger boomers, engineers, and introverts means that fewer members have tried it, or would. These versus Gen X and Gen Y folks, who consider it more mainstream, in my estimation.

The vaporizers are pretty high tech, with no smoke, no smell, and rechargeable from a USB. I've seen one recently, at a buddy's house, and it was a cut above the sloppy rolled joint you might be envisioning when someone says "smoking pot". I couldn't smell a thing when he "lit" it.
Don't know. I am 58 and it was very mainstream when I was growing up.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I have never tried pot and have no interest in smoking anything, unless I need to for some painful disease, which I hope will never happen.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Of course not. I try to avoid all legal activities.

Ha
Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
If it helps arthritis pain and I can grow my own, what's the problem? Doesn't have to be smoked.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #50

Poll:Would you Try Pot if it were legal in your state?

I smoked a little during high school and college. It was always at parties or with a group. I wasn't very good at it but at the time it was fun and I enjoyed it. I never bought any, or owned any, just participated when others had it.

It's been decades since then and I don't think I'd ever do it again even if I was in a state where it's legal. If I needed it for pain or illness, I'd do it then.

I don't see it as addictive. But I do see it as a problem of lifestyle. Like alcohol, I think it can become too important in a person's life. As in, arranging one's life around making time to get high, just like some do to drink.

I'm just not one to seek opportunities to get into an altered state.

My brother was a pothead from his teens until his 40's. It was very important to him, more important than his relationship with his kids. And then it wasn't enough and he started on OxyContin, which, combined with his prescription drugs, killed him at 45. So I have a skewed, personal view.

Most likely, if it hadn't been pot and OxyContin, it would have been something else, eventually.

So, while I don't think it needs to be illegal, I do see it as having the potential to be a negative thing to some people.

Sticky issue for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I have mixed opinions about legalization... I think it will save a lot of lives, especially south of the border....and it could help state budgets... but as far as for recreational use, do we really need one more escape from reality?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I haven't done it since my college years, but I will pass along this valuable tip as I still remember this vividly. If you chose to participate in this endeavor and use a bong, DO NOT SPILL old bong water in your carpet!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
I have mixed opinions about legalization... I think it will save a lot of lives, especially south of the border....and it could help state budgets... but as far as for recreational use, do we really need one more escape from reality?
Does anyone think that anyone who wants to use marijuana isn't already using it?

If the idiots in the government make it very expensive, the criminal activity to supply it illegally (black market) or to rob the money to pay for it from whatever source will continue unabated.

Most hard core drug users don't really want all that goes with mj, they just want oblivion and a deadening of their thoughts and feelings. mj can kick feelings up, a risky proposition if you are struggling to get by.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #54

Poll:Would you Try Pot if it were legal in your state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1
+1Have never but might for palliative purposes. I think it stinks.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

So did I read the poll results correctly?? That almost half have chosen option 1--"have and will"? Maybe we're not the ones commenting? Seems like most of the comments are negative.

I am a middle boomer--lots of my cohorts smoking in college and graduate school. We didn't like drinking beer and the awful wine that was available then in the midwest (Mateus, Boone's Farm, remember??). Personally, I liked the mellowness marijuana brought to most folks as opposed to what drinking did to the ambiance.

I did know a couple of folks in grad school that probably smoked to extreme --it definitely mellowed them out too much, to the degree that they took forever to finish their dissertations, etc.

I'm way more worried about binge drinking on campuses these days and the problems it has caused.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I smoked it in my late teens and early twenties but have no interest in it now, legal or illegal. Never tried cigarettes. Couldn't stand the smell. Marijuana smoke never bothered me like cigarette smoke does.
+1
Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

If I was bored once a month and it didn't make me hungry I may have considered it if available. But I work too hard now to keep my weight off and it is harder every year. I could plow through a whole package of Oreo cookies back in the day when I occasionally used it. Those calories would stick like glue to me now.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

The Super Bowl = Denver vs Seattle. Will they be playing it? Or smoking it <grin>?
AA = 60/35/5. Expected CAGR = 5.7%. GSD (5y) = 7.8%. USD inflation (10 y) = 1.8%. AWR = 3.0%. TER = 0.5%. Net Port Yield = 1.7%. Term = 36 yr. FI Duration = 4.9 yr. Portfolio survival probability = 86%.
galeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #59

So when I get my season ski pass next winter, will I have to worry about out-of-control stoners or will they just all fall over somewhere along the trail?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
The Super Bowl = Denver vs Seattle. Will they be playing it? Or smoking it <grin>?

Those guys are pros. They'll be playing, far better than I could hope to do. Denver shut me up (fair and square).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote