Poll:Would you Try Pot if it were legal in your state?

Would you try pot if it were legal in your state?

• I have and I would.

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • I have and I would not.

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Never have, and I would.

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Never have, and I would not.

Votes: 44 24.0%

• Total voters
I smoked it in my late teens and early twenties but have no interest in it now, legal or illegal. Never tried cigarettes. Couldn't stand the smell. Marijuana smoke never bothered me like cigarette smoke does.

I tried it a few time in high school. Probably smoked a twice a month in college, and rarely for a couple years after college. I feel much like David Brooks did in his columnhttp://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/opinion/brooks-weed-been-there-done-that.html?_r=1, I just outgrew it.

While I am happy to see it decriminalized, I hope we can figure out a way as society to discourage it is excessive use. Although, I am sure there many many exception by and large the folks that I knew that were heavy users were pretty irresponsible and not all that interesting.

Last edited:
Never tried it. I probably wouldn't smoke it now but perhaps would try some brownies :). Always said I'd like to try it once before I die. Hopefully I have a few years left before that happens. I do love my beer though!

So when I get my season ski pass next winter, will I have to worry about out-of-control stoners or will they just all fall over somewhere along the trail?

No they just stayed in the lodge and watched, calmly.

So, do you propose stopping the manufacture of these pain killers, and let surgery patients tough it out? :)

My X-DW was a nurse in an oncology ward. She was shocked that some docs would not give adequate narcotic pain relievers to the terminally ill for fear that they would get addicted.

That stuff will make your babies be born nekkid!

Heh...

After deleting cookies and rebooting, etc., I can finally get on the forum via desktop...

First things first: we'd all be healthier if we didn't drink or smoke or over-eat; if we exercised regularly; if we got eight hours of sleep; if we brushed and flossed regularly... So, given that, smoking pot is not a particularly good idea. And certainly not smoking excessively, though, much like drinking alcoholic beverages, some folks have a defective or non-existent off switch, and should NOT imbibe.

Having said that, I like to use this illustration: How many stoners get high, then pick a fight with the biggest guy in the bar, and afterward jump in the car and drive the wrong way down the interstate? Now, how many drunks have done that? :LOL:

I am totally opposed to the criminalization of marijuana, both for ideological and practical reasons, and see nothing wrong with moderate, responsible recreational usage, the health issues mentioned above notwithstanding, just as I don't see moderate, responsible alcohol use as a bad thing.

Sure. Let's make Oxycontin over-the-counter too. :)

So, do you propose stopping the manufacture of these pain killers, and let surgery patients tough it out? :)

I didn't suggest either. But maybe people in pain would be better off taking a hit of opium than a synthesized variation of the same product. Or a toke of marijuana.

If people want a drug badly enough, they're going to get it, law or no law. And if not that, the next-best thing. There's been a rash of heroin overdoses in my area over the past several years. I'd suggest that they're the upshot of oxycodone and hydrocodone abuse.

I got a round of Vikes when I had double hernia surgery several years ago. They didn't do that much for me (I still hurt like hell) but then I didn't grind them up and inject them for maximum effect.

From the Oct. 13 edition of Science Daily, quoting the American Journal of Public Health:

"Rates of fatal overdoses caused by analgesic opioids have increased dramatically in the United States over the past 5 years. The prevalence of nonmedical analgesic drug abuse is second only to that of marijuana abuse."

It's just ironic that drugs that are a leading cause of narcotic-related deaths were created under perfectly legal conditions by legitimate businesses.

I didn't suggest either. But maybe people in pain would be better off taking a hit of opium than a synthesized variation of the same product. Or a toke of marijuana. If people want a drug badly enough, they're going to get it, law or no law. And if not that, the next-best thing. There's been a rash of heroin overdoses in my area over the past several years. I'd suggest that they're the upshot of oxycodone and hydrocodone abuse. I got a round of Vikes when I had double hernia surgery several years ago. They didn't do that much for me (I still hurt like hell) but then I didn't grind them up and inject them for maximum effect. From the Oct. 13 edition of Science Daily, quoting the American Journal of Public Health: "Rates of fatal overdoses caused by analgesic opioids have increased dramatically in the United States over the past 5 years. The prevalence of nonmedical analgesic drug abuse is second only to that of marijuana abuse." It's just ironic that drugs that are a leading cause of narcotic-related deaths were created under perfectly legal conditions by legitimate businesses.

I kind of worry as I get older and need surgery I will not be able to take pain meds well when I will need them. My only experience has been with Vicodin for a wisdom tooth extraction. I took one pill and didn't like the way it made me feel at all. The bottle is still in my cabinet 5 years later as I decided then that the tooth pain was more pleasant than the Vicodin experience.

I probably would, if I were in a group of people sitting around and some pulled out a joint. I better go see if I can find my love beads and peace symbol earrings.

I was about to follow Free to Canoe's lead, and post a link to "One Toke Over The Line", when I realized the sheer number of songs with drug references in them. It reminded me of an oldies radio station I worked at in the 80's. We had a new GM from across town who wasn't very familiar with rock n' roll and had spent most of her career at one of these easy listening stations that played mellow music specifically designed for listening to in the office (maaan, was it a boring station............!)

Anyway, one day she happened to hear one of the jocks playing Dylan's "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" with the refrain "Everybody must get stoned". It's a song about being persecuted, but I imagine the double meaning was intentional. Anyway, our GM was a bit straight-laced and she flipped. She couldn't believe that we were playing a song that could be interpreted as encouraging it's listeners to take recreational drugs, and ordered it removed from the playlist immediately. Our program director had a meeting with her and provided her with a list of the songs on our playlist that contained drug references (well, probably not all of them - there were simply too many!)

She got the message, and Rainy Day Women #12 and 35 remained on the playlist, as did all the other songs :LOL:

Last edited:
My negativity towards drug abuse stemmed from watching my addict uncle while I was growing up. He died young, but not before he kept hitting my grandmother for money for years to support his habit. If whatever drug that he took was legal and cheap, I think he would overdose himself and die even sooner.

There was no way my late uncle would be able to have a job to be self supporting, and to only get stoned in the evening as a recreation. When people have such self-destructive behavior, there's just nothing that can help. As long as these addicts do not cause collateral damage, I'd say that we should let nature run its course.

When in college, I was too busy with school and work too much to party. I kept reading that MJ was ubiquitous, but I never saw anyone smoking it, nor had any friend who did it. I guess we were either a bunch of prudes, or perhaps simply not having much money or free time for such indulgence.

Then, throughout my adult life, I read about Valium addiction, and Oxycontin and such. These were also alien to me, as I had no contact with these drugs, nor knowing anybody who would admit to abusing it. It was in the hospital right after the surgery that I vaguely remembered reading about Oxycodone addiction, and I had my laptop handy to research the subject right then and there on the hospital bed.

From the Web, I found quite a few stories about people getting addicted to oxycodone after surgery. I tried to take only 1/2 the allowed dosage to prevent myself from such fate. I even tried to stop it altogether, but it was too early and I had to resume it. When laying still in bed, I was not hurt, but getting up from bed and getting around was tough. As I said, it helped alleviate the pain, and that was that. When the pain subsided, I stopped taking it one week after the hospital discharge, and still had plenty left. I felt absolutely no euphoria, no rush, no high whatsoever from oxycodone. How people get hooked on it is a mystery to me.

I quit cigarette 11 years ago. Cold turkey. I drink alcohol, from beer to hard liquor, but not everyday. I drink sporadically, and often go for a couple of weeks to a month without touching a beer. A friend of mine must have a 6-pack every evening. I'd say he's an alcoholic.

As a loner, I have stayed away from crowds imbuing alcohol and drugs of any kind, and will continue to do so.

I didn't suggest either. But maybe people in pain would be better off taking a hit of opium than a synthesized variation of the same product. Or a toke of marijuana.

Would those work as well as oxycodone as a pain killer? Still, it would be interesting to see hospital rooms getting smoked up by the patients. :)

Last edited:
Interesting. Having seen first hand the violence excessive alcohol causes, I'm more inclined to think weed is the better option - if you have to have anything at all. In New Zealand, drug suppliers mix marijuana with dog excrement for a bit of a laugh. Obviously if it were legalised, this wouldn't happen.

I don't know, mixed feelings really - why legalise something else that can only add to society's need to escape reality? On the other hand, who determines that it's any worse than booze?

I wouldn't smoke it now, although I may have had the odd smoke when I lived on a commune, many years ago ;-)

I felt absolutely no euphoria, no rush, no high whatsoever from oxycodone. How people get hooked on it is a mystery to me.
:)

You probably were prescribed the extended release version - that is the idea - pain control without the high.
Abusers defeat the control by mashing the tab into powder and smoking or injecting.

So, there we go. When people are hell-bent on their self-destruction and find all different ways to defeat safeguards, what can we do to protect people from themselves?

I only worry about any collateral damage that may be caused by addicts, and that is really difficult to assess or prevent.

Anyone remember this song? "You gotta let it out Captain!" :LOL:

Jaime Brockett - Legend of the USS Titanic (FULL) - YouTube

I could write a book about this topic. Why bother, everyone has their opinions and I have mine.

I truly believe I have a nonaddictive personality. I use to smoke cigarettes and when I felt like quitting after years of smoking I'd quit. Years later I'd decide to smoke again. Ever know anyone that could smoke cigarettes, a pack a day for years, and just decide to quit and did? No not many could do that but I did and I did it many times. I never tested my nonaddictive capabilities with anything really dangerous like narcotics but I often wonder but then I think that's crazy especially at this point in my life... never gonna happen.

Marijuana makes you lazy, forgetful, damages your memory and makes you eat crazy things like peanut butter and pickle sandwich on pumpernickel bread when that's all that is available or 10,000 calories of anything else that is!

I question if it were legalized would I? I have lots of reasons to but then I have a lot of reasons to not. ;)

The one thing in my life I was addicted to was cigarettes. Yes, for years I denied that I was addicted, but when the first thing you want to do in the morning after brushing your teeth after waking up is to light up, you are addicted! Even so, I usually smoked only 1/2 pack a day.

I was able to quit cold turkey without nicotine patches or any aid. I will never smoke anything again. And I have no problem with that, as cigarette smoke really turns me off now. Alcohol never gives me any problem. No addiction there at all, as I have never had the urge to consume it. Sometimes I like it, sometimes not.

Last edited:
I got 'hooked' on Percoset while the spent 6 weeks figuing out my C-Spine. I hated the crap. Worst part was the DR I had then. He was so paranoid about giving a large supply, he made DW do a 120 mile round trip every 3 days. Guy used to make me account for every one by hour by day. I appreciate his concern but I still ended up going through withdral.

When I got to the pain management guys: A) they fixed me(C-spine epidural). B) their prescriptions were normal. When I told the pain management guy I had an issue, he gave staight forward directions, a promise to not perscribe any more. I didn't have an issue.

I've quite cigarettes back in 2000. The worst thing in the world to give up physically(mentally too) was dip, skoal.... You would have it in your system soo long. That crap after a month I was still suffering physically.
MRG

Percocet is the same pain killer that I was given. It's oxycodone plus Tylenol. Oxycontin is another brand name that contains oxycodone.

Oxycodone is an opioid that was first synthesized in 1916, so it has been around for a while. The Percocet I took was the common 5/325, which means each tablet has 5mg of oxycodone and 325 mg of acetaminophen. While in the hospital, I was allowed 2 tablets every 6 or 8 hours, I forgot which. I told the nurses I would only take 1. Most of them tried to talk me into taking the whole dosage, in fear that I was suffering. Some even suggested that if my pain was severe, they were allowed to put me back on Dilaudid, which was administered by IV. I thought that was supposed to be stronger, but I declined.

Whenever I am asked if I ever smoked pot my answer has been - "I smoked it once ... the once was the entire decade of the 70's. Its been many years since I have partaken but I would certainly take advantage of legal pot, although there's little chance of that in Virginia any time soon.

I've been hearing about this stuff for 50 yrs now. From the Reefer Madness "Establishment" crowd to the Hippy-Dippy "Dave's not here, man"/"Everybody must get high" crowd.

I would try it just to see what all the hubb-bubb is about. If I like it.....? Ok, maybe I'll keep doing it. I doubt I will be impressed though.

Back
Top Bottom