Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like being manipulated, especially if the intentions are right. Better if Sandra Bullock does it.

The upgrade will be installed over here, as was the base.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
So Apple introduced a problematic upgrade that makes you want to buy a new device to get around the problems. You are being held hostage to Apple's bottom line.

I have an iPad 2 that I believe is older than yours. I read the bad press about iOS 8 and decided not to install it. I am going to wait until I have no other option. I do not like being manipulated.
With all due respect, even though I had the problem, I think that's an unfair characterization. There's nothing wrong with iOS 8.x.x, the problem is old slow hardware. I'd expect Apple software updates to be written to take advantage of today's components first, with accommodating outdated technology a lesser priority. I find iOS 8.0.2 does work on my old iPad, but not very well.

Do you really think they set out to make it difficult for iPad 2 users when developing a new OS?

Just as PC replacement was driven by better software and graphics/displays requiring faster processors, more memory and storage, etc. - so it is with mobile devices. Since mobile is still relatively new, the replacement cycle is unfortunately short, evidently about 3-4 years.

At least they're selling far better, more capable devices today at the same price they cost 4 years ago - no comparison whatsoever. See chart below.

Sure I wish my old iPad 2 would last forever, but I know that's not realistic...YMMV

And at least Apple offers OS updates, unlike Android. Some like the Android approach obviously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A8X.jpg (62.3 KB, 9 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

So 2 years and 11 months is "old"?
More like planned obsolescence.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
So 2 years and 11 months is "old"?
More like planned obsolescence.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Mobile is new technology, the cycle is always shorter with newer technologies.

We disagree, no biggie.

If you stick with iOS 7, your iPad 2 will probably provide many more years of service. And I'd be willing to bet iOS 9 won't be offered to iPad 2 users.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #85

Nappy time.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #86

In mobile, CPU and GPU performance is increasing much more rapidly than the mature desktop market.

Between iPad 4 and iPad Air, CPU doubled in performance.

Between iPad Air and iPad Air 2, graphics has more than doubled in performance.

These are one year apart products. There's more R&D and manufacturing investment going on right now in mobile than in desktops.

People who go from iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 will see a huge difference in terms of speed, weight, sharpness of screen, etc.

So it's not like you're not getting any benefits from upgrading. It's up to the individual whether the benefits are worth the cost.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
In mobile, CPU and GPU performance is increasing much more rapidly than the mature desktop market.

Between iPad 4 and iPad Air, CPU doubled in performance.

Between iPad Air and iPad Air 2, graphics has more than doubled in performance.

These are one year apart products. There's more R&D and manufacturing investment going on right now in mobile than in desktops.

People who go from iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 will see a huge difference in terms of speed, weight, sharpness of screen, etc.

So it's not like you're not getting any benefits from upgrading. It's up to the individual whether the benefits are worth the cost.
I agree. My LBYM modus operandi is not to chase every incremental improvement but to stick with a good product until it has little or no residual value to me. So I will not be shopping for a new tablet anytime soon.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't do a lot of operating system upgrading (when things are working well, why mess with it?)

Stretching out the use of an item beyond two years (like an iPhone, for example) gives me more money to, say, travel.

So, it is kind of irritating that my American Airlines app won't work anymore...

YMMV.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
I don't do a lot of operating system upgrading (when things are working well, why mess with it?)

Stretching out the use of an item beyond two years (like an iPhone, for example) gives me more money to, say, travel.

So, it is kind of irritating that my American Airlines app won't work anymore...

YMMV.
It's a tradeoff between the status quo or new features/fixes and security improvements. I'd rather have the latter, especially better security.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #90

I saw an upgrade of the american airlines app.

I'd check to see if you have the latest version.

I doubt they'd stop supporting older OSes, unless we're talking iOS 5 or iOS 4.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I saw an upgrade of the american airlines app.

I'd check to see if you have the latest version.

I doubt they'd stop supporting older OSes, unless we're talking iOS 5 or iOS 4.

You're right: they did upgrade very recently. But as a whole, I think the app is not very good (lipstick on a pig?).

I use ITA (now called Google-something) to search for flights/fares.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

My iPad Air 2 has been ordered.

The slowdown and assorted other little glitches (nothing too bad, just annoying) finally got to me, so my old iPad 2 will be retired and sold when the new one arrives. Probably eBay, but there are several places that buy used Apple equipment and I'll look for the best deal.

It does intrigue me that the new iPad will cost less than the first one, bought nearly 3 years ago.

I just wish I had read the OP before upgrading to iOS 8. I would have still been a happy camper with my original.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #93

Here is my problem with Apple, small, but still unnecessary, IMHO. I should be able to try a new ISO, and go back to the old if I am not satisfied. As far as I know, Apple does not support this, and there appears to be little reason this can not be done. In the present upgrade, my 4s is OK, but does seem halty at times. I would go back if I could. But, like others I am unwilling to use third party solution and possible screw up Itunes and other downloads. So does Apple do this on purpose? I sure can't see any other reason. Keeping a downgrade file on the cloud could not cost that much.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
...my old iPad 2 will be retired and sold when the new one arrives. Probably eBay, but there are several places that buy used Apple equipment and I'll look for the best deal.
Take a look at https://www.gazelle.com/ipad

A "good condition" 32GB iPad 2 will get you $95. And it's a very easy process. They send prepaid box, putyou box, you send it back with the iPad. They send you money - a little extra if you'll take it on an Amazon gift card, which I did when I sold my iPad 2 to them.

I know there are other options worth looking into. But Gazelle makes it so easy.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

I am wondering if others are having this problem.

I have an iPad 2. I have NOT upgraded it to iOS 8. I am currently running the latest version of iOS 7 on it.

Since the introduction of iOS 8, I have noticed that a number of otherwise reliable apps are starting to fail, freeze and just die on me. All have had some type of update since iOS 8 was introduced and I assume at least part of the update process was to make the app work with iOS 8.

I am thinking that in making the app work with iOS 8 they might have broken or injured the app in regards to iOS 7. Not so good.

Has anybody else noticed anything similar?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #96

I have not seen a problem. My iPhone is still on iOS 7 but I have upgraded my iPad mini.

And most of my apps have upgraded to support iOS 8.

I would look for ways to report problems to the developers. If you search on iTunes, each App page has a link to the Developer's website. Or the apps. themselves will have some way to contact or send feedback from within the app.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Apple releases one last software update to make your device slow enough you want to replace it. For the iPhone 4 that was iOS 7 for the iPhone 4s that is iOS 8. They have been using this strategy from the beginning. I guess you can be glass half full (at least my phone supports the recent software update) or glass half empty (they made my device slower with the software update).

I just don't play the Apple game, Android user here (Nexus 4 & 7).
Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am wondering if others are having this problem.

I have an iPad 2. I have NOT upgraded it to iOS 8. I am currently running the latest version of iOS 7 on it.

Since the introduction of iOS 8, I have noticed that a number of otherwise reliable apps are starting to fail, freeze and just die on me. All have had some type of update since iOS 8 was introduced and I assume at least part of the update process was to make the app work with iOS 8.

I am thinking that in making the app work with iOS 8 they might have broken or injured the app in regards to iOS 7. Not so good.

Has anybody else noticed anything similar?
Yes, I have had the same experience. For example, some pages and videos that I used to be able to see are no longer loading.

One page that stopped loading on Safari is the Canadian Money Forum. Someone suggested that I instal the Chrome app on my iPad. This proved to be effective.

Also, my Scrabble app no longer connects to Facebook. The Scrabble customer service page says that they are working on it, but it does not seem to be specific to iOS 8.

Eventually my iPad 2 will be rendered obsolete for all but the most basic functions. Until then, get off my lawn!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike143 View Post
Apple releases one last software update to make your device slow enough you want to replace it. For the iPhone 4 that was iOS 7 for the iPhone 4s that is iOS 8. They have been using this strategy from the beginning. I guess you can be glass half full (at least my phone supports the recent software update) or glass half empty (they made my device slower with the software update).

I just don't play the Apple game, Android user here (Nexus 4 & 7).
Did you read my original post? I am still running iOS 7 on my iPad.

As far as Android is concerned, I assure you I can tell you several horror stories about lack of support for a phone that was less than 2 years old.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #100
Administrator

I just updated my iPhone 5S from iOS 8.0.2, to iOS 8.1. So far, so good.

So, I decided to throw caution to the winds and update my iPad 2, to iOS 8.1 as well. It is updating right now as I type this (on my Windows 8 laptop).

What could happen? It could get better, which would be great. It could stay the same.

Or, it could get worse. I'm already thinking of buying the new iPad Air2 and if it gets much worse that is what I will do. I will not be happy about doing that but it's just the way life is. Hardware has to be updated too, sometimes.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote