Raw paleolithic diet

In addition to all the possibilities of bacterial or viral infestation from eating raw fish or shellfish, ponder this one- a nematode present in raw saltwater finfish.

Anisakidosis:

Science Links Japan | Infections Disease of the Alimentary tract. Gastrointestinal Anisakidosis.

This sounds like it could be really fun to get. In Japan for example it has led to bowel obstruction from eating sashimi or sushi featuring raw fish. Ditto ceviche elsewhere. But not to worry, a good surgeon may be able to make the diagnosis, cut you open and take all the lil' wrigglers out. ;)

Ha

Raw fish...... sure, I grew up eating high quality sashimi often! ;)

nope...I don't eat bait! too many fish to snail to human-type parasites.

had an ex who liked to nibble on raw salmon eggs. Got a heckuva tapeworm....

Ever wonder why eskimos didn't get scurvy? They sure didn't have any fresh limes or lemons in those igloos.

-ERD50

igloos were winter camp only. They eat lots of berries in the summer, and probably dried them for the winter. They ate beach greens. The meat that they eat is laden with fat, which also stores vitamins, I think. They would mix berries with blubber for keeping.

Mmmmm, tasty. :-X

NOT!

I had some offered to me once--they called it "Eskimo ice cream." But, thankfully, they were out of blubber and used Crisco instead. I ate just enough not to be rude....

NOT!

I had some offered to me once--they called it "Eskimo ice cream." But, thankfully, they were out of blubber and used Crisco instead. I ate just enough not to be rude....

"Hey, Ed, let's see if we can get this guy to eat some Crisco mixed with berries. We'll call it 'Eskimo ice cream.' Sure, he'll go for it!"

"Hey, Ed, let's see if we can get this guy to eat some Crisco mixed with berries. We'll call it 'Eskimo ice cream.' Sure, he'll go for it!"

LOL!!

I did watch Herman (the village president) eat some too....

oh well, it wasn't as bad as the sea lion meat the Aleuts gave me.

The "Eskimo Ice cream" incident occurred when I was in a village helping repair a bridge. It was October and there was snow mixed with rain. I 3-year-old snot-nosed kid was playing on the road in just his diaper. I asked his dad if maybe the kid was cold. His dad looked at me like I was nuts.

The next day it warmed up to about 40F. Herman groused to me "it's too warm--the boys will be lazy today."

sorry about the hijack...

oooh on an episode of globe trekker, someone was staying w/ some upper northern canada indigenous and they mixed whale poop w/ something else...swished it around w/ their finger and he had a taste!

ceviche is one of my favorite dishes, but i consider it largely "cooked" from the acid.

oooh on an episode of globe trekker, someone was staying w/ some upper northern canada indigenous and they mixed whale poop w/ something else...swished it around w/ their finger and he had a taste!

ceviche is one of my favorite dishes, but i consider it largely "cooked" from the acid.

Right- but the consideration is not that you consider it cooked, but do the nematodes consider themselves cooked?

Right- but the consideration is not that you consider it cooked, but do the nematodes consider themselves cooked?

Good point HaHa. I wonder if the pH in the lemon juice is enough to do them in?

But, those are some tough buggers!!!

Nematode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robustness
  • Hundreds of nematode worms (C. elegans), featured in a research project on mission STS-107, survived the Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster.[4]

I can't imagine a little squirt of lemon juice is going to scare them too much.

-ERD50 (never tried ceviche, and this thread isn't bringing me any closer)

Back
Top Bottom