Join Early Retirement Today

Sleep, Age, Napping Results
Old 02-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #1

Sleep, Age, Napping Results

Here are the results of our Sleep vs. Age and Sleep vs. Napping survey.

I'd say that the results aren't significant, but here they are anyway, after the first 39 data points.

We saw no clearcut decrease in sleep quality vs. age:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SleepVsAge.jpg (23.1 KB, 102 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sleep, Age, Napping Results
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #2

And nappers reported more satisfying sleep than non-nappers:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SleepVsNap.jpg (27.5 KB, 93 views)
Old 02-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I may, perceived and reported sleep quality vs age...which may have no bearing on actual sleep quality as one ages.

Also, does one sleep better if they nap, or nap better if they sleep? Does someone that just falls asleep easily both sleep and nap well?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
If I may, perceived and reported sleep quality vs age...which may have no bearing on actual sleep quality as one ages.

Also, does one sleep better if they nap, or nap better if they sleep?* Does someone that just falls asleep easily both sleep and nap well?

Looks like you and I are the curve breakers on the sleep scale. My parents both had more sleep issues after they retired (65 and 62) than before they retired. My mother has gotten worse over the past several years and her doctor said it is an age related issue for some people. I have had sleep problems for many years but it seems to be getting worse in the past couple of years.

If I nap I won't sleep at night. If I don't sleep at night I would LOVE to take a nap about 4pm but don't dare because I know I will be up all night. For those that sleep well at night and take naps...consider yourselves lucky. You will most likely outlive those folks that don't sleep as much or as well. (There are studies to prove this but I don't have the time to link them here). Read "No More Sleepless Nights" for the references.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #5

I notice there are 5 responses below 60 and all are mid-40 to mid-50 year olds. Must be a bad time for sleeping.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, we both sleep like crap. My dad sleeps like crap and has his whole life. So did his father.

Go figure.

Its not physical. When I was on the company paid sabbatical for almost three months I started sleeping like a baby after 3 or 4 days. The second day back, I was wide awake and wired for sound at midnight and went back for the benadryl and melatonin.

Only difference then was that I absolutely didnt think or do much of anything. Paddled my kayak around, swam in the lake, rode my bike, read a little, did a little cooking, watched a little tv. Just vegetated mentally.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Must be a bad time for sleeping.
Too many years of submarine duty. If I want to sleep soundly I have to put in earplugs, but I'm too paranoid to do so.

I can tell you by the change of sound whether the submarine has lost 60-Hz power to a non-vital bus, the 400-Hz power to the navigation system, whether the flooding is in the torpedo room or in the engine room, or even whether the reactor has scrammed. And apparently my brain just won't let go of that skill.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #8

I am one of the nappers / good sleepers. I have always been able to
sleep through everything, and I am rarely awake more than about 20
seconds when I lay down. This is serving me in especially good stead
this week as I am babysitting 2 friends dogs this week, giving me 5
total (90, 70, 60, 50, 10 lbs) to pile into and out of my bed during the
night, usually about 3 at any instant.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Too many years of submarine duty.* If I want to sleep soundly I have to put in earplugs, but I'm too paranoid to do so.

I can tell you by the change of sound whether the submarine has lost 60-Hz power to a non-vital bus, the 400-Hz power to the navigation system, whether the flooding is in the torpedo room or in the engine room, or even whether the reactor has scrammed.* And apparently my brain just won't let go of that skill.
That all must come in handy in your house in Hawaii.

Seriously, it shows how dedicated you were to the welfare of your ship and your craft....not to mention looking out for your own tail at depth.