Join Early Retirement Today

Surprise Thunderstorm and the roof
Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Surprise Thunderstorm and the roof

I usually pay attention to the forecast, I knew some rain was expected followed by cooler days - highs in the 70s. I just didn't expect it last night. Roughly 2AM I awoke to the sound of high winds and heavy rain. I could hear it blowing in the worse direction - directly again the new the wall were roof that's been repaired 4 times for leaks. This was some serious stuff. I thought I guess this will be the test. Then my wife's phone screeched a weather alert warning (too late). Then came the thunder, enough to wake the dead. The Mrs told me it lasted an hour and a half.. Oddly though the wife, daughter and I were awake the old dog didn't stir. At some point I fell back asleep I awoke to the old scratching at the front door at 5:30AM I got up and took her out.

The tree limbs down on the property and the pool cover under several inches of water were evidence of the storms intensity. Later I just kept staring at the kitchen ceiling looking for evidence of the leak.

Welcome fall.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I usually pay attention to the forecast, I knew some rain was expected followed by cooler days - highs in the 70s. I just didn't expect it last night. Roughly 2AM I awoke to the sound of high winds and heavy rain. I could hear it blowing in the worse direction - directly again the new the wall were roof that's been repaired 4 times for leaks. This was some serious stuff. I thought I guess this will be the test. Then my wife's phone screeched a weather alert warning (too late). Then came the thunder, enough to wake the dead. The Mrs told me it lasted an hour and a half.. Oddly though the wife, daughter and I were awake the old dog didn't stir. At some point I fell back asleep I awoke to the old scratching at the front door at 5:30AM I got up and took her out.

The tree limbs down on the property and the pool cover under several inches of water were evidence of the storms intensity. Later I just kept staring at the kitchen ceiling looking for evidence of the leak.

Welcome fall.
Buckle up - hurricane season is just starting.....

euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I got a lesson yesterday in watching the weather. Out flying my new drone and all was going fine until a sudden violent gust of wind blew it into a tree. Fell out of the tree about 30 feet to the ground and lost one propellor and mangled the camera gimbal. An hour later we had a serious storm that was totally unexpected.

Fortunately I had the foresight to buy insurance for $99 that gives me two replacements at nominal cost during the first year. The damaged craft is already enroute to the repair depot.