The Amazon judge and jury

Opposite for me. I'm thinking about banning them from my life.
Dawg, please let us know how well that works for you. I am more and more put off by these incredibly arrogant businesses, and I am willing to do a little more work to put them out of my life.

Ha

Well, we buy a heckuva lot online, and so far this year have only bought 3 things from Amazon (shoes, and a couple of travel items). Mostly, we buy directly from makers, importers, or first-party resellers where I even get to know a salesperson by name. Exceptions are macys.com, zappos.com, bjs.com, and particularly walmart.com.

We give walmart.com a lot of business for groceries and household goods. They are supposedly an arrogant business, too. Sure hope they don't decide to ban us for some mysterious unexplained reason.

Dawg, please let us know how well that works for you. I am more and more put off by these incredibly arrogant businesses, and I am willing to do a little more work to put them out of my life.

Ha

In fact the OP could be a victim of identity theft or fraud, or even an internal Amazon employee problem. Heaven forbid Amazon should actually give a crap about protecting a customer….

Small claims court varies state to state but in general it's for basic disputes involving small dollar amounts. Filing is usually a simple form and a small fee. Cases like the OP describes are typically resolved long before any hearing is scheduled because the legal action causes the defendant to stop ignoring you. When Amazon's attorneys see they can't prove you wrong they are likely to realize it was their goof and restore your access. They'll likely want to phone you to talk about it, again long before a hearing date. After you have want you want, you can tell the court you wish to drop your claim.

The outcome you describe would be the desirable one for OP, but I'm thinking Amazon would simply send a check for $170 eliminating Muir's grievance in the eyes of the court. It would cost Amazon far more than that to even begin to investigate the issue. And it's pretty apparent Amazon does not want transparency in regard to their actions regarding "banning."

If trying to get a reinstatement fails, perhaps a workaround should be tried.

I'd imagine one workaround would be to:
1) Apply for another account in wife's name and phone number
2) Use an address of a willing neighbor or relative living nearby
3) Perhaps have the internet IP reset by the ISP first
4) Eventually change the address back to your current address

You still loose access to the Kindle library if you have digital content on their site. Seems that would be something that Amazon should be on the compensation hook for.

I count 45 orders I've made with Amazon so far this year. I stopped bothering to lump them since it doesn't matter with Prime, and half the time the split my order into different shipments anyway. Plus I can take standard delivery for $1 credit on digital music, though sometimes it's for Amazon restaurants which do me no good.

Anyway, I find it very convenient, and it's not often I find better prices after considering shipping, my 5% prime card kick back, or gas to go to a brick and mortar store. I'm sympathetic to the OP but I'm not going to give up Amazon based on his bad experience. Hopefully it won't happen to me too. If it does, I'll find another way.

It's very unfortunate and unfair he didn't get his prime refunded, and it makes the Kindle a lot less useful, but I can understand not getting a real explanation. I'm sure they do have proprietary methods, and if he were someone who was probing for weaknesses, an explanation would help a lot with finding a way to scam them, driving up costs for the rest of us. It's just too bad when an innocent person does get caught up in this and incorrectly blocked.

It's very unfortunate and unfair he didn't get his prime refunded, and it makes the Kindle a lot less useful, but I can understand not getting a real explanation. I'm sure they do have proprietary methods, and if he were someone who was probing for weaknesses, an explanation would help a lot with finding a way to scam them, driving up costs for the rest of us. It's just too bad when an innocent person does get caught up in this and incorrectly blocked.

I agree with your guess at Amazon's motivations for such secrecy. Hard to be confident though in what has happened. Could be some weird software detection error on Amazon's part. Who knows.

I'm curious how long the OP has had this account I don't remember if he gave the date he opened it. In our case we've been members with the same address, same CC card and same email since 1998. What are the odds that we would be a bad guy "trying to figure out a way to scam the system"....you could say it's unfortunate and unfair but it's understandable that they might have given the OP the death penalty.

It my eyes it means that Amazon focuses on the macro...(world wide dominance ) over the micro (being transparent and honest to the individual customer.) There is no justifying it, the world is full of crooks but you don't get to treat everyone like they are crooked.

Last edited:
I agree with your guess at Amazon's motivations for such secrecy. Hard to be confident though in what has happened. Could be some weird software detection error on Amazon's part. Who knows.
Oh sure. I went through a somewhat similar thing on FB last year. Could not login, could not reset my password, could not get any answers from FB. I virtually never post anything political or spammy on FB, or do anything else that should get me banned. I had an idea that someone with the same unusual last name had accidentally used my email address (I grabbed the first.lastname at gmail one years ago) because I somehow got a notification once that was for them. I created another account under a different email and PM'd them to ask if that's what happened, but never got a response. Finally, when I was about to give up and try to start rebuilding my friends network with the new account, my account miraculously came back! I was off for about 2 months. Not all that bad, but I do find FB useful in my circles. (Cue all the people who look down on FB and proudly state that THEY don't use Facebook. Save it. None of us care, and that's not what this is about. It never is.)

If trying to get a reinstatement fails, perhaps a workaround should be tried.

I'd imagine one workaround would be to:
1) Apply for another account in wife's name and phone number
2) Use an address of a willing neighbor or relative living nearby
3) Perhaps have the internet IP reset by the ISP first
4) Eventually change the address back to your current address

You still loose access to the Kindle library if you have digital content on their site. Seems that would be something that Amazon should be on the compensation hook for.

Amazon will then close any accounts of that relative or neighbor, so please don't try this approach. Any account a cancelled member makes, once linked to another account, will end badly for them too. If anyone wanted to consider trying new, they'd need to at least setup a PO BOX, and new credit cards, so that nothing (other than name) linked back to the same account. Not email, not IP, not cookies, address, anything.

They have sophisticated ways to determine when banned sellers try to make new accounts, and they catch them and shut them down all the time. I'd expect they'd apply the same ruthless approach on buyers too.

I'm curious how long the OP has had this account I don't remember if he gave the date he opened it. In our case we've been members with the same address, same CC card and same email since 1998. What are the odds that we would be a bad guy "trying to figure out a way to scam the system"....you could say it's unfortunate and unfair but it's understandable that they might have given the OP the death penalty.

It my eyes it means that Amazon focuses on the macro...(world wide dominance ) over the micro (being transparent and honest to the individual customer.) There is no justifying it, the world is full of crooks but you don't get to treat everyone like they are crooked.

We had the account since 2006. We’d been Prime members for just 2 years. We changed our credit card on the account about 12 months ago when we chose to apply for the Amazon card through Synchrony.

I’m certainly not asking anyone to quit Amazon because of my situation. I do appreciate the confirmation from others that I’m not crazy. That this was outrageous. But in the end my guess is Amazon survives just fine without my business. [emoji4] But whereas I used to cheer for them, I’ll certainly root for them no more. And if treatment like this somehow becomes much more widespread, I believe it actually could be a significant pratfall for them. And rightfully so.

I’m certainly not asking anyone to quit Amazon because of my situation. I do appreciate the confirmation from others that I’m not crazy. That this was outrageous. But in the end my guess is Amazon survives just fine without my business. [emoji4] But whereas I used to cheer for them, I’ll certainly root for them no more. And if treatment like this somehow becomes much more widespread, I believe it actually could be a significant pratfall for them. And rightfully so.

I will survive just fine w/o them too. As others have said, Walmart can replace a lot of items. I've always had good luck with Ebay. In the future I will buy electronics from Best Buy or other online sites. It won't be that hard....Amazon was just an easy one source go to.

No plans to abandon Amazon. I can find what I need - I have choices and it gets delivered in 2 days or less.

The Walmart near me is like a flea market, the merchandise on the shelves are in a disarray, and mostly cheap junk. The employees want to be in any place but here, mostly they want to work at a Costco - Target is my B&M store of choice.

One last thought-any forum members have any friends or family employed by Amazon who can help? Amazon might have customer service help available for employees that is not available to the general public.

My last employer was an internet content provider and we had a special concierge service number for friends & family who had problems with their accounts.

I have read through this thread and I think there is some sort of identity theft thing going on here. Having myself recently been through having my identity stolen I am very suspect of any unusual things going on with accounts, credit cards, etc. I assume the OP has already frozen his credit at all the appropriate places and continues to check his credit report. If it were me I would also contact whoever is in charge of Amazon's fraud department (if you cannot get them to talk to you by phone, try a registered letter). I would also file an identity theft affidavit with the FTC and send a copy to Amazon. I would also start posting about this issue and Amazon's response (or lack thereof) on facebook, twitter, etc. I believe someone has hacked the OP's Amazon account and Amazon has simply cut the OP off rather than trying to fix the situation. OP needs to get to the bottom of this.

(Cue all the people who look down on FB and proudly state that THEY don't use Facebook. Save it. None of us care, and that's not what this is about. It never is.)

LOL. I don't use Facebook. I thought I was the last holdout. Is there more like me? Is it like that TV show Last Man on Earth. I have to find the other person and procreate.

Just thinking I am under represented on the FAANG stocks. No Facebook. No Apple. Almost no Amazon. Small Netflix user, But all in on the Google world

I've followed every post on this interesting thread. There are a lot of things worse, in life, than being banned by Amazon. But OP clearly got a screwing, here. I'd be "ballistic" if this happened to me, for the simple reason that no definitive explanation was given to him with no right to give them the "true facts."

I'd like to say I will stop using Amazon entirely, but realistically that likely won't happen. But I guarantee I will be checking jet.com and other internet shopping sites, based solely on this thread.

I've followed every post on this interesting thread. There are a lot of things worse, in life, than being banned by Amazon. But OP clearly got a screwing, here. I'd be "ballistic" if this happened to me, for the simple reason that no definitive explanation was given to him with no right to give them the "true facts."

I'd like to say I will stop using Amazon entirely, but realistically that likely won't happen. But I guarantee I will be checking jet.com and other internet shopping sites, based solely on this thread.

I, too, would have a tough time without Amazon -- the only other main source is B&H. Except for minor (less than $10) items, I go through a pretty thorough comparison check.

To give some idea of our purchases is this screen shot I sent to my cousin (who is on staff at Hope Center) -- and this includes only those purchases that I remembered to use Smile:

HOPE Donations.JPG

LOL. I don't use Facebook. I thought I was the last holdout. Is there more like me? Is it like that TV show Last Man on Earth. I have to find the other person and procreate.

Just thinking I am under represented on the FAANG stocks. No Facebook. No Apple. Almost no Amazon. Small Netflix user, But all in on the Google world

Facebook? What's that?? A book about faces? Sounds silly to me. I've used a handbook before - - - only to find it contained zero hands. Go figure. :confused:

I have read through this whole unbelievable thread. I use Amazon almost weekly and this whole scenario is terrifying and sad that Amazon would do this to a customer.

The one thought I had here that I don’t see is the fire stick. I know for TIVO and prime, I need to enter my password. I wonder if somehow someone has hacked into that to get to your account and use it for bad stuff. I think I also saw that the router had the default password open, which would also leave your information open to hacking.

I am so sorry this happened to you and hope that you can get it resolved. Amazon shouldn’t be allowed to throw away good customers like this.

As I've said before I've seen the rise of Amazon since their early days and have been a long time supporter but over the last couple of years I'm no longer enamored by their shady business practices and arrogance. They've been playing games with their prices based on the type of membership you have etc. Case in point, I created a secondary account just to see if it was my imagination. Nope! if I'm a regular member and I tried to order a product that was close to their $25 minimum for free shipping they immediately lowered the price in the cart as an 'instant discount' just so my total doesn't meet the minimum and I'm forced to buy additional items...while they threw-up their Prime membership offer crap all over my screen. The same item if I added in my Prime account there was no price-fixing.
Another trend I've noticed is where if I add an item in my cart but don't buy it they'll raise the price by $5-15 the next day. Then lower it back down to the original just so you're psychologically pressured to buy it before the price goes up again. I checked with my other non-prime account...same item, no price change!
They seem to think they're untouchable and above the law and are willing to screw the very people who've made them what they are. While I don't plan to completely ban them I'm simply no longer renewing my Prime Membership (hit them where it hurts them the most) and will definitely order more things from Walmart.com, Jet.com, Google Express and ebay.com (I buy a lot of new items on Ebay all the time for cheaper than Amazon).

As I've said before I've seen the rise of Amazon since their early days and have been a long time supporter but over the last couple of years I'm no longer enamored by their shady business practices and arrogance. They've been playing games with their prices based on the type of membership you have etc. Case in point, I created a secondary account just to see if it was my imagination. Nope! if I'm a regular member and I tried to order a product that was close to their $25 minimum for free shipping they immediately lowered the price in the cart as an 'instant discount' just so my total doesn't meet the minimum and I'm forced to buy additional items...while they threw-up their Prime membership offer crap all over my screen. The same item if I added in my Prime account there was no price-fixing.
Another trend I've noticed is where if I add an item in my cart but don't buy it they'll raise the price by $5-15 the next day. Then lower it back down to the original just so you're psychologically pressured to buy it before the price goes up again. I checked with my other non-prime account...same item, no price change!
They seem to think they're untouchable and above the law and are willing to screw the very people who've made them what they are. While I don't plan to completely ban them I'm simply no longer renewing my Prime Membership (hit them where it hurts them the most) and will definitely order more things from Walmart.com, Jet.com, Google Express and ebay.com (I buy a lot of new items on Ebay all the time for cheaper than Amazon).

Seems to me that they are playing by the "laws" of capitalism.

I personally have no issue with regulations but for those that do and that feel that capitalism is the answer to all issue--not saying that you do but it is a real thing in this country-- then the correct answer is that they can do what the market will bear and benefit or suffer the consequences.

When they find out about your secondary account, and price checking, they'll ban both of your accounts for good. I'm sure there is something in the fine print about your checking up on them.

They've been playing games with their prices based on the type of membership you have etc. Case in point, I created a secondary account just to see if it was my imagination. Nope!

Interesting. I only shop Amazon when I'm NOT logged in (with Prime) and after clearing all cookies. If I find something I want, I'll exit the browser (to clear the cookies) and only then order it with my Prime account (or use my cell phone, same account.)

I've never noticed a difference in price. But I also don't give them the opportunity (cookies) to track my searches and adjust accordingly.

For the record, lots of companies do this. The airlines are the best example. Try searching for a flight, then come back later (same browser) and check the price and seat availability. You'll probably notice a big difference.

I use Amazon a lot. My personal experience with them is head and shoulders above other on-line options, including eBay. I've never had the kinds of hassles and dishonesty (like inflated "shipping" charges) I've had to deal with elsewhere. It's not that I'm a huge fan, and I take this whole thread seriously, as a caution. At least for now, I'll probably keep shopping there.

Seems to me that they are playing by the "laws" of capitalism.

I personally have no issue with regulations but for those that do and that feel that capitalism is the answer to all issue--not saying that you do but it is a real thing in this country-- then the correct answer is that they can do what the market will bear and benefit or suffer the consequences.

They're a public company. I call it the car-dealer salesman tactics...no one appreciates them and then on top of that the arrogance to ban customers without providing a reason. Amazon - the new soup nazi.

Back
Top Bottom