The US Army Wants you

bssc

Moderator Emeritus
Interesting Article
The points that got me was that

1) this guy was living on the edge at 40,
2) the Army is accepting people upto 42.
3) the Army is still offering a way out of poverty (my dad was an example)
4) when he puts his 30 years in he will be 70

Good for him for doing it though

Sounded like he didn't finish by the way the author wrote the last paragraph.

"He is scurrying on his belly, and it is the feel of the cool sand in his hands that returns him, he will say later, to Teresa and Kalani, to the life left behind."

My dad was 38 when he went from the National Guard to the active duty Army in the 1950s. He retired at 65 having served in Korea once and Vietnam twice. He went in due to economic conditions, but stayed in due to patriotism, since he could have retired much earlier.

My son had a Marine wife who babysat him after school with her kids when he was 6 & 7. Her husband had been in the Marines, got out and tried to make it in the "real world" and couldn't do so well as when he was in the Marines and reenlisted. And this was a smart guy (only high school graduate but bright). He said the Marines allowed him to support his family of a wife and 2 kids.
It never dawned on me until I met them that, for some, this was the answer to living a better lifestyle. I applaud them for going into the service! We need good, smart people serving. They need a way out of poverty. Good marriage!
I can say that this Marine who was in charge of Purchasing for his group had a real pride in his work, too!

Great article, and unfortunately full of facts about the "real" Hawaii. I'll have to keep an eye on the local papers when he finishes training.

Interesting Article
The points that got me was that
1) this guy was living on the edge at 40,
2) the Army is accepting people upto 42.
3) the Army is still offering a way out of poverty (my dad was an example)
4) when he puts his 30 years in he will be 70
Good for him for doing it though
I think the age 42 limit is the max permitted by legislation (which until now the services have always set lower) in order that they're retired before Social Security eligibility. So it may not last until 30, although it's possible.

Staying past 60 requires approval literally by an act of Congress. For example Rickover's downfall was outliving his supporters, and even guys like Fallon are on a short leash to both the C-in-C and the legislature. CJCS Mullen graduated from USNA in 1967 but he'll be there for at least one term, maybe two.

In 1991 I served with a guy who was born in 1941 (a few months before the Pearl Harbor attack). He had commissioned nuclear submarines that I'd only read about in history books, and his "Unknown But True" stories of the early days of Navy nuclear power were as entertaining as they were scary. But from 1966 until 1982 he tried to survive as a retail employee and finally gave it up to return to the submarine force.

He was a blessing and a curse. The troops called him "Grandpa" (because he is one) and he was a wonderful stabilizing influence on some of the wilder teenagers. However he was also functionally deaf and had lost his night vision, something that made him a tough guy to work with as a member of the midwatch ship's control party. He was finally shunted to a less-critial job (requiring neither hearing nor much vision) until he was eligible for shore duty-- where he made a wonderful instructor.

It's very common to see drilling Reservists in their high 50s, and more than a few of them have deployed to the desert. A friend of ours, already wearing three Purple Hearts from his Vietnam FMF corpsman days, was mobilized just before his 59th birthday and came home only because he was expected to retire. I remember one article about the "Galloping Grannies" who were in charge of troubleshooting logistics problems in Iraq ("Dude, where's my parts?"). With the credibility implied by their gray hair and their "personal interaction skills", they were much more effective at getting answers out of the staff & bureaucracy than the typical sergeant or captain would have been.

Sounded like he didn't finish by the way the author wrote the last paragraph.
"He is scurrying on his belly, and it is the feel of the cool sand in his hands that returns him, he will say later, to Teresa and Kalani, to the life left behind."
I interpret that to mean that it recalled memories of the sand on his home beaches.

Staying past 60 requires approval literally by an act of Congress.

You know, you're right. That got me to readjusting my memories as far as my father's retirement. I thought he retired at 65, but it was 60. He served in the National Guard for around 10 years, then the Army for around 25 years. They pretty much had to retire him, otherwise he would still be serving.

There are some career fields that automatically allow longer careers. For example, Academy profs get to serve to age 65 as I recall. I think that's written in Title 10.

Reservists have to go at age 60. I'm 2 months shy of 50 and am a reservist. In fact, I'm on my drill RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!! I'll be required to retire at 55, not due to the military regs but because of some special case Civil Service regs that apply to military technicians like myself.

Reservists have to go at age 60. I'm 2 months shy of 50 and am a reservist. In fact, I'm on my drill RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!! I'll be required to retire at 55, not due to the military regs but because of some special case Civil Service regs that apply to military technicians like myself.
Surfing this board counts as General Military Training (financial managment) toward points of Non-Pay Additional Drill, right?

There are some career fields that automatically allow longer careers. For example, Academy profs get to serve to age 65 as I recall. I think that's written in Title 10.
I haven't read that in years, thank goodness, but there's an even better deal in USNA's "Permanent Military Professor" program.

O-5s & O-6s were given teaching billets with the understanding that they'd attend school (funded by Navy) for their PhDs and be guaranteed a 30-year career (in whatever rank they happened to achieve). Upon retirement from the military they're expected to stay with their departments and achieve civilian tenure. I was extremely tempted until I realized that I'd have to live in the Annapolis-Baltimore-DC area.

Another loophole is high-school JROTC instructor, where I routinely see 60-somethings in uniform. But I'm not sure who pays their salaries for that program.

Another loophole is high-school JROTC instructor, where I routinely see 60-somethings in uniform. But I'm not sure who pays their salaries for that program.

When I looked at it I think thee salaries are a combination of their retirement from AD and the local school district makes up the difference.

Tomcat98

Back
Top Bottom