They just keep on working

Have you ever taken a vacation? Did you enjoy it? Were you anxious to get back to the job when it was over?

If those questions don't help, then I would recommend immediately planning and taking a good vacation (two weeks or more) before the end of this year and trying it out. Include a few off days at home after the trip. No contact with the job during the vacation -- make it a clean break. That may help make up your mind whether you're ready to quit or not.

Two weeks... wow. I turn 50 this year and have never left for more than a week.

It is interesting of some of the people I know that continue to work. I'm talking about 4 couples that we know that are multi millionaires and still working. These couples are all at 60 to 64 years of age. They don't own businesses but work for prominent companies and making huge wages and I may add these jobs are high stress. None of them over spend and a live modest life styles. I guess they love to work and want more. Not all want to retire but want to keep making money and socking it away. Lol I think all of them just don't want to give up their prestige's titles and identity. Any of you know people like this?

My Dad is still working at 72. He's given notice finally that he's done this summer as he doesn't feel like doing the work of redesigning a course that is out of date now, and they changed the requirements so that he'd have to do more teaching hours. Plus some BS with enrollment for a class... He's worked all this time because he really enjoys it intellectually. He did say that switching back to academia from business 20 years ago it didn't really feel like work anymore...

Retch, my college class never felt like work either even after 6 years. It just ended and I am sad about it. I totally understand why your dad kept working.

Are you kidding? I have had a lot of jobs over the years. Let's face it, there are only so many jobs within commuting distance of home that pay a decent salary, especially in a rural area. Any job I thought I might enjoy did not pay well, but I did try that also. Turns out that kind of job also had a lot of BS that went along with it.

I can say without a doubt that though there were certain things about my jobs I liked, none of them I would consider "enjoyable". No way, no how.

Not to mention the "schedule of work" in and of itself stinks.

Sorry to hear that. I feel bad for people who aren't enjoying their life - no matter what stage they are in. Not kidding at all.

Most people do not really "like" their jobs. They tolerate them and make the best of them. Sure- there are exceptions. But if you ask the average person if they won the lottery if they would keep working their jobs, most would say 'NO!".
Perhaps I was lucky, but I worked with a lot of people who enjoyed their jobs. In my profession/domain I would say most of them.

I worked with one individual whose wife got a multi-million dollar injury settlement. He went to work the next day and continued working.

I worked with a bunch of people who had worked for companies that went public and netted them more money than I had made in my entire career.

Last edited:
Exactly! I'm sure they are saying …. what a stupid move by me to retire when I could be making all that money and piling it up. lol

i've never seen a truck full of cash following a hearse - just sayin..

Most people do not really "like" their jobs. They tolerate them and make the best of them. Sure- there are exceptions. But if you ask the average person if they won the lottery if they would keep working their jobs, most would say 'NO!".

I really do think most people do like their jobs. If not, they take the initiative and go find one that they do like. You don't have to love your job but it's crazy to stay in a job that you dread for 20+ years.

Of course if you asked almost anyone if they won the lottery, they'd say they'd quit their job. But that's not a fair question to determine if they hate or like their job. IMO.

Two weeks... wow. I turn 50 this year and have never left for more than a week.

the only time I took that much time off was when I quit my prior MEGA 8 years ago to move out of state to work for my current MEGA

it's crazy to stay in a job that you dread for 20+ years.

+1

With all the frugality, well thought out financial planning and detailed budgeting that gets discussed on this forum, I'm always amazed at the number of folks that readily and willing give up huge slices of their life earning a living in what they consider a distasteful way. With life our most important and valuable asset, how can we spend it so frivolously as to put ourselves in uncomfortable positions for years and years without at least trying to redirect our paths?

Or is it that folks just like to bitch and things aren't really that bad on the job? They really aren't in helpless positions where they are miserable. They just like to describe it that way?

Or is it that folks just like to bitch and things aren't really that bad on the job? They really aren't in helpless positions where they are miserable. They just like to describe it that way?
I do think there is some of that. I know some folks who like to complain about pretty much everything. They like to complain about their jobs most of all.

I'm sure there are some folks that hate their current jobs. And there may be a few folks who have always hated all their jobs.

But almost everyone I know who didn't like their current job went out and found a new one.

Wow Ray your HI and property taxes are crazy. We couldn’t retire if we had to pay that. I am assuming one reason your HI is high is because you are insuring 4 people.

1. 3 DD is off the policy
2. Pennsylvania is one of the states that counts your age into equation - limited choices
3. Actually my 2,700 bill would be higher as my employer is paying a couple hundred too

Back
Top Bottom