Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #2181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

May 1, and blowing snow. Only in Canada!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #2182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here too, it was 70 on Friday this morning it's 25.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #2183
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Can you go on vacation to someplace with power for about 3-5 days? Sounds like a good time to get away.
We decided to hunker down at home to protect the homestead. After many burglaries the first night, the authorities have imposed a curfew. It's been 4 days without power. But things are improving. The wireless networks are back up and running and the landline phone is working. We are conserving gas and water as well as the battery power in our electronics. It looks like it could be another 4-5 days before power is restored.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
We decided to hunker down at home to protect the homestead. Aftere many burglaries the first night, the authorities have instored a cerfew. It's been 4 days without power. But things are improving. The wireless networks are back up and running and the landline phone is working. We are conserving gas and water as well as the battery power in our electronics. It looks like it could be another 4-5 days before power is restored.
WOW. FD, that is just, wow!

We went out today and volunteered in one of the disaster zones down here in B'ham. I saw so much goodness re: donations and volunteers today. The looting is just unfathomable to me in the wake of this devastation.

I guess the power being out this long explains why I haven't heard from my other friend in Huntsville. Thanks - it gives me some measure of comfort that he's hopefully ok!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #2185
Give me a forum ...

FD and simple girl...I feel for y'all. Seems like there are many people missing too.

It rained all night last night and will rain all day today at my abode. It's currently 47 degrees. I know I'm in my house in the same area...but still....
Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I guess the power being out this long explains why I haven't heard from my other friend in Huntsville. Thanks - it gives me some measure of comfort that he's hopefully ok!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
FD and simple girl...I feel for y'all. Seems like there are many people missing too.
Thanks!! Just found out this morning that my friend and his family are fine. What a relief!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #2187

I think the air mass that hit Canada and the Dakotas with snow has hit Texas. It's May here and it's barely over 50. Not to mention the inch of glorious rain it sent our way, but we need a lot more...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #2188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think the air mass that hit Canada and the Dakotas with snow has hit Texas. It's May here and it's barely over 50. Not to mention the inch of glorious rain it sent our way, but we need a lot more...
Down here a few miles to your south, we got the cool temps - but not a drop of rain...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #2189
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, the power is back!

The way people have responded to the crisis so far has been exemplary (except for the freaking looters). Citizens, churches, governments (local, state and federal), businesses, NGOs, local media, and utilities have all done an amazing job of organizing the rescue, cleanup and recovery efforts. Working together can yield such incredible results. A big thanks to everyone who helped and is still helping! There is still much left to be done!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #2190
Administrator

So glad to hear your power is back! That will really help in the rebuilding, too.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #2191
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in West Virginia and bought a new telescope a couple of weeks ago- since then, only one clear night and that didn't start until nearly midnight, way after my bedtime! It's a known fact that if you buy new astronomy equipment, you're dooming the weather for a short time- since I was at the North East Astronomy Forum in New York a couple of weeks back with hundreds of others that were buying new equipment as well, the east coast is probably doomed to clouds for a while!

I really like to observe in the winter when it's dark by 6pm.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #2192
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Another inch of rain today...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #2193
Give me a forum ...

It did not snow today.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #2194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
OTOH, May 2 was a beautiful day!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #2195
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
It's still raining...
Old 05-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #2196

It was completely gorgeous here today, currently bright sunshine and 72 degrees . I am soooo glad winter is over and I hope many of the e-r group are also experiencing the welcome entrance of spring/summer.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #2197

Had our first day of the year above 70 degrees and it looks like our first thunderstorm is building in the west.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #2198
Administrator

The weather here is lovely.

In two weeks, the Mississippi River flooding is supposed to reach us. However, there are plans to open the Morganza spillway and the Bonnet Carre spillway, to lessen its impact upon Baton Rouge and New Orleans (respectively). These spillways divert the Mississippi excess down the Atchafalaya basin, so instead of flooding New Orleans some other, smaller towns will be flooded. Hardly seems fair but that is what they do.

I am a little nervous about flooding after reading about what is happening to our north, but F. says it will not affect us. Since he has lived here all of his life, he has a pretty good handle on these things.

― B. Lee

Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The weather here is lovely.

In two weeks, the Mississippi River flooding is supposed to reach us. However, there are plans to open the Morganza spillway and the Bonnet Carre spillway, to lessen its impact upon Baton Rouge and New Orleans (respectively). These spillways divert the Mississippi excess down the Atchafalaya basin, so instead of flooding New Orleans some other, smaller towns will be flooded. Hardly seems fair but that is what they do.

I am a little nervous about flooding after reading about what is happening to our north, but F. says it will not affect us. Since he has lived here all of his life, he has a pretty good handle on these things.
I find it amazing that you can spell all those names .

Here in Illinois, we are blasting levees, and happy to spell "Chicago".

Still, one of my favorite songs is "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans".
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #2200
Administrator

Well, who knows if I spelled them correctly?

The Bonnet Carre spillway just upstream from New Orleans was opened yesterday, allowing water to flow from the river into Lake Ponchartrain. Tourists take note: the changes in freshwater flow accompanying the opening of the Bonnet Carre always takes a big toll on oysters, which generally die from changes in salinity due to the fresh water diversion. So, oysters will be expensive and/or hard to get for a while. We noticed yesterday that anything with oysters is already $3 more than usual at a favorite restaurant, in anticipation of the oyster kill.

Oddly, the Morganza spillway just north of Baton Rouge (and further upstream from us than the Bonnet Carre) has NOT been opened yet. Rumor has it that the Corps of Engineers is ready to do it but is still waiting for approvals from the Mississippi River Commission. Opening the Morganza is a Big Deal due to all the flooding it will cause in smaller towns, and it has only been done once, back in 1973.

― B. Lee