This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not back to normal here yet! Grocery stores still have many empty shelves.

Same here.

HEB still has limited hours and both HEB and Walmart online order sites show little or no dairy products, meat, or anything else requiring refrigeration. 20% of the city of San Antonio is still under a boil water notification and Gas Buddy is reporting roughly that same percentage of gas stations have no fuel available.

It’s not back to normal here yet! Grocery stores still have many empty shelves. I was very lucky to score some eggs this morning. There had been no milk, eggs, bread or water for quite a few days.

We had a lot of power outages and some water outages in our area.

Same here,
DFW area - Saturday morning I thought that maybe Walmart would be restocked... No! Vegetable area completely empty, no milk, eggs, pre-packaged meat, etc. The bread area was vacant except they must have had a delivery of Mrs. Bairds bread (locally baked), very restricted selection. I was able to find a loaf of whole multigrain bread that was suitable, of a brand somebody must have missed.

I went on to a Neighborhood Walmart, where they had some fresh vegetables, picked up a lettuce. They had milk, but only whole and 2%, all GV.

Stopped by the first WM this AM for our usual Sunday AM trip, some veggies, bread about zero, no milk or eggs at all, and a lot of other refrigerated stuff was pretty well picked over. Either restocking has been very very low, or hordes are stripping the place the night before we go there. We did pick up some ground beef. DW usually runs with a pretty good pantry/refrig buffer, so it's not like we'll be starving.

Took notice of the comments here yesterday about gasoline... so THAT'S WHY a Walmart gas station usually very busy was vacant! Filled up DW's car elsewhere when out this morning, price up maybe $.15 - .25, more concerned about getting it. Quite a few more people out and about than usual at 8 AM on a Sunday morning, that's for sure!

Last edited:
It's amazing to me how many of these ponds look alike. The two I have close to the house are about the same size as yours and one is even boarder by trees like the one in your picture... I don't have a fountain in mine but that maybe a future project.:)

There is a big difference in our ponds, you have a personal home pond and mine is in an HOA common area:cool:.

It’s not back to normal here yet! Grocery stores still have many empty shelves. I was very lucky to score some eggs this morning. There had been no milk, eggs, bread or water for quite a few days.

Here, the shelves at big national chains such as Trader Joes and Whole Foods do not have those items either and photos of their empty shelves are pretty shocking. Attached is a photo that I found online, taken at the Trader Joe's just a block or two from my house.

But local chain stores, such as Rouse's (across the street) or Dorignac's (just down the street), are fully stocked. They get most food items locally and do not depend as much on trucks bringing things into the area.

Attachments

• 60304d7ce952c.image.jpg
    60304d7ce952c.image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
There is a big difference in our ponds, you have a personal home pond and mine is in an HOA common area:cool:.
:LOL: I've got four on the property but I only maintain the two close to the house..... The ducks that stop by during their annual migrations seem to like the ones I don't maintain. Go figure...

Like it or not, the TEXODUS has been and will continue to come go the Lone Star state. There are so many people from CA moving to Austin TX, there is a name for them - Austinfornians

If it were me, I'd try to keep 'em all in one place. Easier to round up when you need to.:angel::cool:

You realize that as hard as we try, they are still coming :facepalm:. Most are going to Austin so maybe we can let them have that city if they leave the rest of Texas alone? :LOL:

Maybe those folks are just coming back home.

We had a lot of power outages and some water outages in our area.

You and REW are too far away from the goods distribution centers. We are a short drive. (densely populated)

While my daughter and her husband that live 7 miles for me were without power for 36 hours, we were lucky and didn't lose any utilities. Maybe it's because we are one mile or less from three major hospitals and the M.D. Anderson cancer center is right outside our subdivision and those facilities never lose power (or are exempt from planned curtailments). I assume we are connected to the same power grid that they are. (i could be wrong, though)

Like it or not, the TEXODUS has been and will continue to come go the Lone Star state. There are so many people from CA moving to Austin TX, there is a name for them - Austinfornians

I am a native Texan, living in CA for most of my life, with several cousins in Austin. One of them told me that I’m not permitted to move to Austin.

Later I asked his brother, “Who died and made him King of Texas?”

I don’t want to live in Austin, anyway. Too many Californians. I thought I might like to live closer to family, but not the ones in Austin.

San Antonio kinfolk are much friendlier — probably because they all moved to TX from CA.

Last edited:
I am a native Texan, living in CA for most of my life, with several cousins in Austin. One of them told me that I’m not permitted to move to Austin.

Later I asked his brother, “Who died and made him King of Texas?”

I don’t want to live in Austin, anyway. Too many Californians. I thought I might like to live closer to family, but not the ones in Austin.

San Antonio kinfolk are much friendlier — probably because they all moved to TX from CA.

LOL!!:LOL:

Same here.

HEB still has limited hours and both HEB and Walmart online order sites show little or no dairy products, meat, or anything else requiring refrigeration. 20% of the city of San Antonio is still under a boil water notification and Gas Buddy is reporting roughly that same percentage of gas stations have no fuel available.
From what DH read, Austin is seriously out of water! I guess something drastic happened to their water treatment plant.

Sounds like things finally started to improve yesterday (Sunday) https://www.statesman.com/story/new...er-outage-update-boil-notice-2021/4533093001/

Last edited:
From what DH read, Austin is seriously out of water! I guess something drastic happened to their water treatment plant.

Sounds like things finally started to improve yesterday (Sunday) https://www.statesman.com/story/new...er-outage-update-boil-notice-2021/4533093001/

Looks like things have continued to improve, at least according to the Austin American-Statesman:

Safe to drink: Boil water notice lifted in most of Austin, Bastrop, some Hays County areas

Austin Water lifted its boil water notice for most of Austin, including Central, North, Northwest, Northeast, East, Southeast and South Austin. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality confirmed the tap water in those areas of the state capital met regulatory standards and was safe for drinking and cooking, city officials said.

Last edited:
You and REW are too far away from the goods distribution centers. We are a short drive. (densely populated)

While my daughter and her husband that live 7 miles for me were without power for 36 hours, we were lucky and didn't lose any utilities. Maybe it's because we are one mile or less from three major hospitals and the M.D. Anderson cancer center is right outside our subdivision and those facilities never lose power (or are exempt from planned curtailments). I assume we are connected to the same power grid that they are. (i could be wrong, though)
We didn't lose power or water either, thank goodness, but the RV park next door did, for at least 2 days. Much of our city had no power. My doctor's offices had no power during the week. Grocery stores and gas stations lost power. Many residences were without power. It was scattered all over the cities and county.

So I don't think the media was exaggerating, because there were many, many desperate people across the state last week. And many suffered damage to their homes, not to mention all the commercial businesses damaged or disrupted due to power or water loss. And many folks having difficulty finding gas and groceries if they were low.

Seems like this will take a while to unwind.

We are in a densely populated area even though it is somewhat isolated from the rest of the state. HEB has a major regional distribution center about 35 miles away, but who knows what condition their stock was in. Our regular store wasn't able to start restocking until midnight Friday night. I have a feeling the trucks had to come from farther away. Thank goodness they came!

One more view of the strained food supply in central TX. I went inside a Walmart around noon today (Monday), the first time in almost a year. I took this photo of some of the refrigerated cases - almost empty, especially the packaged cheese case in the back of the pic.

Attachments

• Wmt.jpg
    Wmt.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 27
We didn't lose power or water either, thank goodness, but the RV park next door did, for at least 2 days. Much of our city had no power. My doctor's offices had no power during the week. Grocery stores and gas stations lost power. Many residences were without power. It was scattered all over the cities and county.

So I don't think the media was exaggerating, because there were many, many desperate people across the state last week. And many suffered damage to their homes, not to mention all the commercial businesses damaged or disrupted due to power or water loss. And many folks having difficulty finding gas and groceries if they were low.

Seems like this will take a while to unwind.

We are in a densely populated area even though it is somewhat isolated from the rest of the state. HEB has a major regional distribution center about 35 miles away, but who knows what condition their stock was in. Our regular store wasn't able to start restocking until midnight Friday night. I have a feeling the trucks had to come from farther away. Thank goodness they came!

What got the local 7 (yes, 7 within a 10 mile radius) Super Walmart's stocked so fast was that there are two or three very large distribution warehouses within 15 miles of us.

A friend of mine said the HEB's here were short on stuff while the Kroger's were restocked quickly.

With a little luck, we might be finished with below 70 highs of the day here in FLA.

So sorry you have to rely on strained food. Perhaps it's time you looked into getting some dental implants? :angel:

:LOL:

If a guy had electricity to run his blender, he would not have a problem, would he? :cool:

One more view of the strained food supply in central TX. I went inside a Walmart around noon today (Monday), the first time in almost a year. I took this photo of some of the refrigerated cases - almost empty, especially the packaged cheese case in the back of the pic.

Goodness. I do hope things get better soon for everyone concerned.

Last edited:
It's amazing the change. We still have snow on the ground, too.

We aren't in TX but there is quite the shortage of basic food items here as well. Rumor on the street that several stores are diverting normal shipments to the good folks in TX.

Attachments

• WX.jpg
    WX.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 16
We had close to 2 weeks of -30 and colder but the last 3 days have been close to and above freezing. I took advantage of the warm and cleaned all the ice and snow off the decks...it sure makes it a lot easier to use the barbeque when you're not tracking snow in and out.

We had close to 2 weeks of -30 and colder but the last 3 days have been close to and above freezing. I took advantage of the warm and cleaned all the ice and snow off the decks...it sure makes it a lot easier to use the barbeque when you're not tracking snow in and out.

Reminds me of the '77/'78 winter cold/snow and blizzard. I wore regular T-shirt/tidy whitey, with thermal top and bottom, then orange (fiber filled) hunting top and bottom and a snowmobile onezy with sock cap and hood just to walk the 150 yards from the house to the car which was by the road in the 25 below weather (thank goodness it had a manual choke.) When it finally warmed up to +10 a couple of weeks later, I found myself slowly tearing off my outer garments as I made the walk to the car. I was sweating by the time I reached the car (going through the snow was hard work.) What a statement about the weather when 10 degrees F feels balmy.

One of the main reasons I moved was that I never want to experience that again - and I haven't. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom