This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurricane season started on June 1st, and here we go again! The big red disturbance in the western Gulf of Mexico has a 70% chance of formation by Friday. So far, our forecasters are telling us that if it comes here, it will be mostly just a big rain event.

Yeah, it’s headed right for you again!

Tropical storm watch.

Why is it to be called “Three”?

Attachments

• 9B537ED1-CF8E-45B8-A77E-E70A8181FE77.png
    9B537ED1-CF8E-45B8-A77E-E70A8181FE77.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Why is it to be called “Three”?
Maybe becasue it's the 3rd investigated storm this season and hasn't been named,,,,,, yet?

If it gets a name it will be called Claudette... Remember that TS from years ago? :eek:

Last edited:
But it’s bizarre that it’s called potential “Three”. There is a regular name waiting in the wings once it crosses 39mph.

^^^^ I didn't really think much of it.... But now that you mention it, I think they usually call them disturbances, or depressions until they become named storms... I suspect this one will be named later today.

Last edited:
Florida West Coast here. Spring has been very dry, so we are welcoming all this rain for the past two weeks. Everything is looking green again outside. My landscaping is looking amazing again. Going on 45yrs of hurricane preparedness. Got it down to a science, let her rip.:dance:

Not so fast, preparing is one thing, getting hit is another.
I was lucky, but still had $90k of damage. Lost a carport, screened porch, part of my roof, the ceiling in my garage,insurance co. totaled my truck I could go on, but you get the point.

Hurricane Michael

But it’s bizarre that it’s called potential “Three”. There is a regular name waiting in the wings once it crosses 39mph.
Well, if they called it "potential Claudette", and it didn't develop, the next one would also have to be "potential Claudette", which would confuse things, whereas now the next one would be "potential Four".

My beef is with the use of “potential” ahead of Three.

They have definitely changed something. Before I think they simply numbered invests and tropical depressions.

Calling it potential Three makes no sense. Calling it tropical depression 3 makes perfect sense.

It's supposed to be named Tropical Storm Claudette, probably sometime this morning. Until then they could call it "Ugly weather event 3" or "Guess what here's Storm 3" and I really would not give a hoot. :LOL: I guess I should care.

Meanwhile we have a Tropical Storm Warning, a Coastal Flood Advisory, and a Flash Flood Watch. Rain is predicted to be 8", and winds 57 mph. That does not sound like such a huge rain event! But we'll see. There is also a chance for tornados and of course the spots that usually flood, will. It's supposed to get here tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Frank and I are prepared as always although we are reasonably sure we will be fine. We are quite close to the south shore of Lake Ponchartrain, but inside the levee system and not in a flood prone part of town. Our internet may go out, though (so don't worry if I don't post!). Last weekend there was a little wind and it went out twice, once for 2 hours and once for 4 hours. Stupid Cox Cable.

Right now it is raining at a medium hard rate and very overcast and dark, with a yellowish tint to the clouds, but there isn't much wind at this point.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 32
Right now it is raining at a medium hard rate and very overcast and dark, with a yellowish tint to the clouds, but there isn't much wind at this point.

Meanwhile, out here in the West we are baking under the sun, and without any decent precipitation for at least a year now. If this keeps going, there will not be anything living here before long. :dead:

We got to 115F last Sunday, and it kept inching up to 117.5F yesterday. And the forecast calls for 115F till this Sunday. I wonder if we ever had an uninterrupted period of 8 days of 115+ temperature.

My ACs have been cranking non-stop, as even at 3AM it was still 93F. Darn it's hot.

PV panel efficiency drops off at high temperature while the ACs run harder. I have a big shortfall of solar power that I had to switch the pool pump and the water heater to run on grid, in order to have the battery sufficiently charged to last till 8PM when the electric rate drops to 1/3 when the peak-demand period expires.

Both Texas and California warn of running out of power. I have not seen the same for Arizona. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, out here in the West we are baking under the sun, and without any decent precipitation for at least a year now. If this keeps going, there will not be anything living here before long. :dead:

We got to 115F last Sunday, and it kept inching up to 117.5F yesterday. And the forecast calls for 115F till this Sunday. I wonder if we ever had an uninterrupted period of 8 days of 115+ temperature.

My ACs have been cranking non-stop, as even at 3AM it was still 93F. Darn it's hot.

PV panel efficiency drops off at high temperature while the ACs run harder. I have a big shortfall of solar power that I had to switch the pool pump and the water heater to run on grid, in order to have the battery sufficiently charged to last till 8PM when the electric rate drops to 1/3 when the peak-demand period expires.

Both Texas and California warn of running out of power. I have not seen the same for Arizona. Fingers crossed.

What simply awful weather! I can't even imagine. I hope you get some rain and cooler weather, soon. But if it's been a year since you had any decent precipitation, then that doesn't sound too likely. :(

Glad that apparently you aren't in danger of running out of power. That could be deadly for those without solar power.

Our high temperatures had been around 101F-103F, but yesterday only 96F and at the present moment it is only 77F outside. So, maybe the storm is causing the temperatures to drop a bit.

I had a new and very excellent central AC system installed back in 2016, so no matter how hot it gets, I am as likely to be cold as hot. I know, I'm a typical woman - - always fiddling with the thermostat. One more reason why I love living alone. :LOL:

I had a new and very excellent central AC system installed back in 2016, so no matter how hot it gets, I am as likely to be cold as hot...

Only as long as you have power. >:D

By the way, I am still running just the 2 auxiliary ACs, and have not turned on the central AC.

The 5 rooms upstairs are uninhabited, and left to bake. Last night, I went up to check, and it was more than 100F up there. The hottest room that was on the west side was clocked at 107F.

PS. At 2AM last night, I woke up for the night bathroom visit, and decided to go up to check and to open the windows to air out the superheated rooms upstairs. As the temperature dropped below 100F, the inside was hotter than the outside. This morning, found that the 107F room has "cooled" down to 97F (outside was 89F).

Last edited:
So true! If the power goes out, my house will stay cool for several hours since it has good insulation. But after that, it could get pretty hot in here. On the rare occasion when that has happened in the past, I was OK due to frequent cool showers, skimpy clothing, and lots of ice water (from ice in my ice chest).

By the way, I am still running just the 2 auxiliary ACs, and have not turned on the central AC.

The 5 rooms upstairs are uninhabited, and left to bake. Last night, I went up to check, and it was more than 100F up there. The hottest room that was on the west side was clocked at 107F.
I'm surprised that such extreme heat doesn't cause damage to the interior of your home such as wallpaper falling off, glue melting, or whatever. I don't know enough about construction to know exactly what would happen, but I am pretty sure houses aren't built with 107F indoor temperatures in mind.

PS. At 2AM last night, I woke up for the night bathroom visit, and decided to go up to check and to open the windows to air out the superheated rooms upstairs. As the temperature dropped below 100F, the inside was hotter than the outside. This morning, found that the 107F room has "cooled" down to 97F (outside was 89F).

That's great that it had cooled down a bit. :) I got up in the middle of the night to turn my thermostat from 71 to 72, because I felt cold.

I thought you owned a second house to the north, in the mountains or something. Maybe it is time to spend some time up there where it is cooler? It is amazing to me that you are doing OK despite such heat.

I thought you owned a second house to the north, in the mountains or something. Maybe it is time to spend some time up there where it is cooler? It is amazing to me that you are doing OK despite such heat.

We should be spending the summer there at 7000 ft elevation, except that we cannot take my mother-in-law up there due to her COPD. And my wife is her care taker. Can't travel either.

We should be spending the summer there at 7000 ft elevation, except that we cannot take my mother-in-law up there due to her COPD. And my wife is her care taker.

Oh! I am so sorry about your Mother-in-law's COPD. Your wife is a good daughter to take care of her like this, despite the heat.

My record indoor temp was set last year at 101.9. And that's a room that is used the most in the house.

It's supposed to be named Tropical Storm Claudette, probably sometime this morning. Until then they could call it "Ugly weather event 3" or "Guess what here's Storm 3" and I really would not give a hoot. :LOL: I guess I should care.
I guess instead of calling it Tropical Depression Three, they are calling it Potential Tropical Cyclone Three. Because a Tropical Depression can turn into a Tropical Storm - thus the “potential” label. Wait, they are saying Tropical Cyclone instead of Tropical Storm.

So they have apparently changed official terminology.

Last edited:
I guess instead of calling it Tropical Depression Three, they are calling it Potential Tropical Cyclone Three. Because a Tropical Depression can turn into a Tropical Storm - thus the “potential” label. Wait, they are saying Tropical Cyclone instead of Tropical Storm.

It's very disorganized still, and the nomenclature reflects that. Possibly at the 4 PM update it will be re-named TS Claudette.

Also note that winds are now "sustained" near 45mph but it's still not named?

EDIT: Maybe that needs to be officially measured by the Hurricane Hunters instruments and satellite data isn't good enough....

From NWS at 4pm est:

"Satellite data indicate that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 45 mph (75 km/h) with higher gusts."

Last edited:
Also note that winds are now "sustained" near 45mph but it's still not named?

From NWS at 4pm est:

"Satellite data indicate that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 45 mph (75 km/h) with higher gusts."

The delay is apparently because it is still so disorganized. My favorite (retired) TV meteorologist, Bob Breck, said at 2:03 PM in his blog:

NHC still hasn't named TC # 3 Claudette despite indicating sustained winds are now 45 mph. I think the problem remains that the Hurricane Hunters cannot find one closed off center.
Surface winds have increased, but the direction hasn't shifted yet. Based on the increasing wave heights, I suspect NHC will finally name TC # 3 Tropical Storm Claudette in the 4 PM advisory. If they don't, then maybe it will stay just an open wave as it moves inland overnight.

Edited to add: OK, the NHC in its 4 PM update says,
Although the disturbance has wind speeds of tropical
storm intensity, it has not been named a tropical storm yet since
its center is ill defined and broad as evident in the Air Force
Hurricane Hunter data and surface observations.

Makes me wonder how many "boarder line" storms were named (or not named) 30, 40 or more years ago......I realize measurement tools are better today and I guess you need to draw a line somewhere between depressions, TS's, Cat1, Cat2, etc, but it does make me wonder when comparing today's storm counts to years ago.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder how many "boarder line" storms were named (or not named) 30, 40 or more years ago......I realize measurement tools are better today and I guess you need to draw a line somewhere between depressions, TS's, Cat1, Cat2, etc, but it does make me wonder.
Why wonder? Mr. Google tells us that Hurricane Hunters have been intentionally flying into potential hurricanes to check them out for at least 75 years.

https://www.hurricanehunters.com/history.htm

As for "Not Claudette", it's just raining lightly here, not too much wind. I suppose it's too soon to say she fizzled, but sure seems like it.

This storm still has not become Tropical Storm Claudette. Right now in New Orleans, the rain has abated and I can't hear any wind any more either at the moment. Good. So far this storm is a big nothing so I think the NHC made the right decision for now.

Frank called me from work to tell me that he got there safely, and other than a little minor flooding in the building all is well. I'm glad.

So much for "not-Claudette"!

Well it's now officially named Tropical Storm Claudette by the NWS. I guess it's "potential" has been reached. :)

Last edited:
The heat wave continues.

Yesterday when it was 117F, it was declared that Phoenix broke a new record: earliest occurrence of four consecutive days with temperatures 115 degrees or higher.

Previous early heat record was 3 consecutive days above 115F, set June 14-16 in 1974.

Will see if the current string of hot days will stretch to 6 days, with the forecast calling for today and Sunday also being 115F.

Man, it's hot! If we have power outage, some older or poorer people will die.

It's currently also hot in Europe. I recall my Europe trip in 2017. I landed in Paris on May 10, and the weather was cool. Made a round of Southern France, then came back north via Italy, Switzerland, and Belgium. At the end of the trip in late June, the temperature hit the mid to high 90F in Europe. It was horrible not having AC in the Airbnb. It was a good thing we suffered only the last 2 nights of the trip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom